Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2003 > Archive through June 22, 2004

Old     (macdaddy)      Join Date: May 2004       06-02-2004, 4:18 PM Reply   
how is this for a good laugh

so i pick up my new X9 on thursday. Tow it home about 30 miles. we leave for the lake saterday morning, following MC's instructions I torqued the lugs on the trailer. We towed to the lake and home no problems. Tuesday morning I hook up the boat to my work truck and head over to the dealer to get my P.P. and shower installed. So I am driving along talking on the phone and hear a thunk from back by the trailer. One lookj in the mirror and I only have one tire on the driver side. Oil is pouring from the oil bath hub. So Now i want to find my rim and tire. Afted about 15 min. of walking up and down the street looking in every parking lot I hear a guy shouting from across the street"HEY ARE YOU LOOKING FOR YOUR TIRE" I walk over to find my rim and tire through the front window of a C.P.A.'s office...needless to say expensive day!
Old     (nvsairwarrior)      Join Date: Aug 2003       06-02-2004, 8:35 PM Reply   
Soooooo the root cause of failure is?
Sorry to hear about your incident but it could be helpful to know what actually failed.
Old     (macdaddy)      Join Date: May 2004       06-02-2004, 9:22 PM Reply   
my lug nuts came loose...you are supposed to re-torque them after 100 miles ...i did after only 30...my bad...what's weird is every other lug on the trailer was tight
Old    mb_girl            06-02-2004, 9:34 PM Reply   
You sure someone wasn't messing with your trailer? It happens.
Old    whitechocolate            06-02-2004, 10:03 PM Reply   
I think someone was trying to steel your wheel when you were at Berryessa, Those dumb a$$ hicks probably thought it was one of thoes new fangled DUB'S for there tractor. LOL. Sorry to hear about your bad luck that would suck to see your new boat/trailer get messed up.
Old    blindsiderider            06-02-2004, 10:07 PM Reply   
I think someone helped you out. It seems strange to me that if you torqued them yourself that everything is still tight but all the lug nuts on one wheel?????
Old     (macdaddy)      Join Date: May 2004       06-02-2004, 10:18 PM Reply   
i wish someone would steal all four of them then...good excuse to roll up with spinners on the trailer....big pimpin!!!
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       06-03-2004, 7:23 AM Reply   
I had the same problem on a '00 205. MC recalled the trailers and fixed the problem. The alum. rims would get hot and expand, then when they cooled, the nuts would get loose. I would talk to your dealer about it.
Old    whitechocolate            06-03-2004, 8:29 AM Reply   
Paul: Jude has 4 wheel disks brakes on his trailer, Im not saying I dont believe you but how do you explaine the remaining 3 wheels all tight.

I used to work as a mechanic at Sears. I was installing 4 brand new tires on a car that belonged to a preist. He watched over me as I tighten the lug nuts on his car. Just as I was about to be finshed he said. Son are my lug nuts tight?. I was puzzled because he saw me make sure they were tight. I sad Father yes the lugs are tight. He said again Son are you sure? I said yes im sure. He said in a questioning way "Really???? like he didnt believe me" I was pissed, I said "Look Father they are as tight as a Nun's private parts" He then nodding head up and down like saying "yes" Say's well then you better give them a few more turn's.

Sorry stupid joke!!!
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       06-03-2004, 10:01 AM Reply   
Grant,
My boat 205 had disk brakes as well. It was not from the brakes getting hot, it was the wheel itself on long trips. We only had problems with one wheel as well. The others stayed tight. If you don't believe me, contact MC and ask them about the recall in '00,'01.
Old    ag4ever            06-03-2004, 3:42 PM Reply   
Follow the link for my tragic tale. Sounds similar to yours.

I think it was either loose lugnuts, ot the studs weren't set completly, and then they sank in and completly set, causing them to be loose.

Either way, check your lugnuts.

http://forums.thedieselstop.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB16&Number=1820850&Forum =f16&Words=&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Main=1820645&Sea rch=true&where=bodysub&Name=28638&daterange=1&newe rval=1&newertype=y&olderval=&oldertype=&bodyprev=# Post1820850
Old     (rock_n_boardin)      Join Date: May 2003       06-04-2004, 9:16 AM Reply   
Did you use a torque wrench to do it? I am just curious, when you say you torqed them, makes me think you did. If you did maybe you did not tighten them enough. Instead of tightening the s**t out of them. Just curious. Just seems crazy that someone who actually did the right thing "be it a little early" still had the wheel come off.