Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2003 > Archive through June 22, 2004

Old     (chrissocal)      Join Date: Dec 2001       06-01-2004, 3:15 PM Reply   
I am looking into getting an ipod but am not exactly sure of the best way to connect it to my clarion head unit (no aux input). Are FM modulators okay or do you sacrafice clarity? Is there a difference between a FM transmitter and aFM modulator (because i heard fm transmitters are weak)? Any info would help alot. Thanks
Old     (tlb)      Join Date: Feb 2003       06-01-2004, 5:12 PM Reply   
Do a search on this. This has been talked about alot on this site. Don't fool with a fm modulator or transmitter, they are crap... You can hook up your i-pod to an eq that has a aux input. I have the audio control 4.1. there are others out there and I think Grant "whitechocolate" is selling one on this site. Good luck, you won't regret getting an i-pod. I can't imagine not having it now.
Old    ilovetrains            06-02-2004, 7:53 AM Reply   
Macworld magazine did a big thing on iPod setups this month that might halp as far as FM transmitters or modulaters. There is a company that sells an interface for most head units that works through the CD changer control and allows you to control your ipod from the face of the head unit.
Old     (elmog)      Join Date: Nov 2002       06-03-2004, 1:15 PM Reply   
I have to pipe-up regarding the transmitter/modulator (basically the same thing - modulator can be hard-wired into your antenna cable and the transmitter just sends out a fm signal you can tune-in).

I purchased a cheap siLink from Radio Shack for like $20 to use with my iPod and I love it.

I may not be as critical about sound quality as some who use stereo eqpt for ballast but I used to burn my MP3s to normal CD (song modified to turn into a MP3 and then modified again to burn to nomal format thus altering the file two times) and the quality thru the iLink is much better.

I really love how I can use it anywhere. In the house, the RV, the boat, the car.

In fact, my car is permanently set to like 88.1 and I had moved the iPod/iLink into the house to play 'Barney' and 'The Wiggles' for the kids and then I had to run to the store. When I started my car, I heard The Wiggles and I thought for a second, 'Are they actually playing the Wiggles on the radio?' Then remembered that it was playing inside the house.

I love my FM transmitter and I think it is an OK option for someone like me.