Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2003 > Archive through June 22, 2004

Old     (mwgwin)      Join Date: Oct 2002       05-26-2004, 11:40 AM Reply   
I know there have been other threads about what products to use. I have an opportunity to pull my slipped boat out today to clean it. I have an 01 MC X-Star. To get rid of the scumline, I had planned on using Sno-bol toilet bowl cleaner and then waxing. Only problem is I dont have any wax. People are recommending 303 protectant, Meguiars Flagship wax, etc. I dont have time to order, I want to clean today. My SeaRay dealer suggested this Zing cleaner and says that will remove all the green stains and not the wax. Any opinions on that? If its not recommended, what kind of wax can I buy over the counter? Ive been told just look for wax that says its for gelcoat or fiberglass.

Im really interested if anyone has any personal experience with this Zing stuff...
Old     (salty87)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-26-2004, 12:30 PM Reply   
never heard of zing, i can't imagine it cleaning scum and NOT removing the wax. but, if your boat has been in the water awhile since the last waxing, there probably isn't much left anyway.

any kind of toilet bowl cleaner will clean the scum line. don't sweat the wax too much, it doesn't last that long. go to autozone or something and get automotive wax, with carnuba is generally thought to be the best.

303 is ok to use but it's expensive and also washes off. i put 303 on my hull before waxing this season, too soon to see if it makes any difference.

meguiars makes well respected products.
Old     (fox)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-26-2004, 1:41 PM Reply   
Post what you use and how well it works. I left my boat in from Thursday to Sunday and it had the mother of all scumlines. Fantastik worked well to remove most of it, but it's the iced tea stain that I'd like to get rid of.
Old     (gwnkids)      Join Date: Nov 2003       05-26-2004, 2:38 PM Reply   
Check out www.properboatcare.com
Old     (jklein)      Join Date: May 2001       05-26-2004, 3:10 PM Reply   
I bought the Meguires yellow #26 at my napa auto parts store. It worked great.
Old     (wakestar8878)      Join Date: Oct 2003       05-26-2004, 3:14 PM Reply   
Clean with vinegar diluted with water, spray on wipe off, and then wax with a good carnauba wax.
Old     (dhcomp)      Join Date: Jun 2003       05-26-2004, 4:04 PM Reply   
I think some toilet cleaners might be a little on the harsh side. If it was an older boat i would probably use it, but yours is pretty new. I don't ever have to deal with scum (longest in the water is like 10 days in Tahoe), but im sure there are some less harsh things that would remove the scum.
Old     (jklein)      Join Date: May 2001       05-26-2004, 4:19 PM Reply   
Try cleaning it with 50/50 water/vinegar solution and add some simple green to it as a mild soap as a first pass.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       05-26-2004, 6:32 PM Reply   
I use unleaded on mine. ITs ok as long as you wax right away.
Old     (gitair77)      Join Date: Sep 2001       05-26-2004, 7:53 PM Reply   
FSR works the best for me. I boat in the Delta and after a week on the water, the stain is terible. Wash with FSR and rinse. Rewax and your good to go.
Old     (mwgwin)      Join Date: Oct 2002       05-27-2004, 6:52 AM Reply   
Okay, I pulled my boat out last night after being in for just over a month. It had a thick dark green "fur" of algae on it. I put that Zing in a spray bottle and it ate right through it. I was completely amazed at how easy it was to clean. Just spray it on and wipe it off. Its now a brite white. I dont know much about waxing but the finish looks exactly like it did when I first put in. I plan to wax it anyway. The active ingredient is HCl HydroChloric Acid. IT ate away the abrasive side of my Scotch Brite pad while I was wiping it. Anyway, this stuff is the it out!
Old     (mwgwin)      Join Date: Oct 2002       05-27-2004, 6:54 AM Reply   
Zing Hull Cleaner is its official name. I couldnt find an official website but you can buy it online from various retailers.

Good luck!
Old     (salty87)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-27-2004, 8:10 AM Reply   
that's pretty much the same as toilet bowl cleaner (muriatic acid). how much did it cost? i hope you were wearing gloves, that could leave a mark!
Old     (mwgwin)      Join Date: Oct 2002       05-27-2004, 8:18 AM Reply   
IT was $39.96 for a gallon or so (I dont have it in front of me but if it wasnt a gallon, it was real close). I didnt use much at all. I would imagine that gallon will probably last me the summer.

I was wearing cheap rubber gloves I bought from Walmart (.88 for 2 pair I think). Just get a little on your skin and it burns a bit.

After just looking at the label on the Sno-Bol I bought, it looks like pretty much the same stuff. The boat dealer swore up and down that it wouldnt eat the wax but I cant confirm that because I dont know what Im looking at. Id say it looks the same to me but I dont know how hard it is to tell...
Old     (sulmaxwell)      Join Date: Dec 2003       05-27-2004, 10:28 AM Reply   
I find that SIMPLE GREEN works really well!!! all around..