Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 01, 2004

Old     (jayc)      Join Date: Sep 2002       07-14-2004, 1:42 AM Reply   
Was looking on ebay the other day at boats and noticed an early 80s mastercraft that someone had fitted automotive mufflers to. check the pic :
http://i14.ebayimg.com/02/i/02/1f/ac/d2_3.JPG

Thing is the boat is used in saltwater and they look like mild steel so I guess they would only last a month or so if they didn't split from all the water running through them.

Strange things people do hey!
Old    zboomer            07-14-2004, 7:43 AM Reply   
lol, that's awesome!
Old     (mango)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-14-2004, 7:44 AM Reply   
hehe i've never seen that one before
Old    chavezychavez            07-14-2004, 9:32 AM Reply   
Hell ya man!!! I'm gunna to put da whista tips on my nex boat so I can go wooo wooooooooooo!!!

Seriously though, I think that must have been one loud a$$ boat to make the owner desperate enough to put those mufflers in.
Old    cisom            07-14-2004, 9:43 AM Reply   
I'd say it was just someone too cheap to put muffled tips on the boat.
Old     (jayc)      Join Date: Sep 2002       07-14-2004, 10:00 AM Reply   
I can't see how it can be any louder than other MCs from the same era. My 88 MC has no silencers and is fine, no need for it to be any quieter.

Got to sap power though as they aint designed for water to pass through them!
Old    walt            07-14-2004, 2:21 PM Reply   
That is ghetto !
Old     (cla17)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-14-2004, 11:17 PM Reply   
I don't see a reason why it wouldn't work. Way cheap, but if it works why not...
Old     (ktm250)      Join Date: Jan 2003       07-15-2004, 5:33 AM Reply   
"I don't see why it wouldn't work"...well what about the drain holes built into every automotive style muffler? Or the fact that automotive mufflers were never designed to carry water INSIDE them. And lastly what about radiant heat? Why worry about it, boats hardly ever catch on fire, and these mufflers will probably never rust.
Old    ilovetrains            07-15-2004, 8:27 AM Reply   
why do inboards have mufflers anyway? That may be a stupid question, but my I/O does not, the exhaust is under water all the time (well most of the time ). I love the sound when I start it in the driveway to warm it before changing oil, the neighbors all come out to look. They think Dale Jr is visiting and start combing their mulletts.

Seriously, don't inboard exhaust under water anyway, why the muffler?
Old     (prostar205v)      Join Date: Aug 2002       07-15-2004, 8:36 AM Reply   
My 197 with LQ9 did not have mufflers. Very cool in the beginning. But finally became annoying. Had MC install mufflers. Much better now. The sound is deafening at about 13 mph, like a heavy bass reverberating in your head. One an inboard is on plane, exhaust is above the water-line, unlike and I/O where the exhaust is exiting the prop hub, which is always (or should be) in the water.
Old     (prostar205v)      Join Date: Aug 2002       07-15-2004, 8:38 AM Reply   
Side note.....The reason the 197 did not have mufflers was because it is the anniversary boat, that was the sound they were after. All MC's have mufflers standard. See profile for pic.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       07-15-2004, 8:47 AM Reply   
i know that i ordered the 'silent rider' mufflers as an option on my boat. quieter engine = stereo doesn't have to be up as loud and people can also talk to each other more easily while underway.
Old     (rem_pss308)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-15-2004, 9:04 AM Reply   
O.K. Guys I have a stupid question in regards to mufflers. I have a 93 prostar 205. My neighbor has a 2002 X-9. His is way quieter than mine when idleing. Is there a new type of muffler on the newer boats. The only ones I have seen are the ones from SKIDIM.com, and they are like mine. I would like mine to be quieter.