Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 12, 2008

Old     (awakeat816)      Join Date: Jan 2008       05-02-2008, 11:38 AM Reply   
I am going to lake powell next week for the first time and was wondering if anyone who has been knows of any good spots that I should check out. We will only be there for three days so I doubt I will have time to explore as much as I would want to. Where are the good places to ride, see, and party?? Thanks for any input
Old     (dppaneig)      Join Date: Feb 2008       05-02-2008, 12:04 PM Reply   
what part are you going to?
Old     (epic1)      Join Date: Oct 2006       05-02-2008, 2:17 PM Reply   
its not havsu, you bring the party, or go to bed early. Check out esclante canyon if yuo can afford the gas, Rainbow bridge, anything north of bullfrog, and HAVE FUN START PLANING YOUR NEXT TRIP NOW
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-02-2008, 7:11 PM Reply   
same question as dan
what marina are you launching from
Old     (davee22ve)      Join Date: Nov 2007       05-02-2008, 9:43 PM Reply   
If you are launching from wahweep gunsite canyon is a good place to camp and good riding. It is about an hour away in a wakeboard boat further if by houseboat.
Old     (awakeat816)      Join Date: Jan 2008       05-03-2008, 12:46 PM Reply   
We are staying on the more southern side of the lake and camping in wahweep canyon.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-03-2008, 5:11 PM Reply   
OK, now we got a location
I guess you have chosen to stay in wahweap for camping? Warm creek is another good place and is fairly close to ANTELOPE MARINA. Gun sight/Padre Bay as mentioned before is great (check these images http://images.google.com/images?ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=navclient&gfns=1&q=gunsight%20lake%20po well&um=1&sa=N&tab=wi)
Padre bay is the biggest bay on powell

last Chance Bay is nice too and is a fav of some of my friends for camping

Sights to see:
#1 RAINBOW BRIDGE of course- the world's tallest natural bridge. but don't walk underneath the bridge. if you have seen LF "the truth" then you will know what i mean ;)
#2 Antelope canyon/ Slot canyon - the portion reachable by land ONLY is really the best part to see though (fficial&client=firefox-a&um=1&sa=N&tab=wi" target="_blank">http://images.google.com/images?q=antelope%20canyon%20slot&ie=UTF-8&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-USfficial&client=firefox-a&um=1&sa=N&tab=wi
#3 horse Shoe bend - also another site that must be seen by land... also it is a place that has been used for a hyperlite board graphic in the past, a must see! :-)http://www.wakeworld.com/boardguide/getboard.asp?boardid=311

here is simple map of Powell to point some things out
Upload

I am originally from page AZ (town right by powell) and have recently moved back If you need anything, send me a PM and i'll see what i can do
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-03-2008, 5:49 PM Reply   
As for "partying"
page is a small town so there aint much there
and the lake is so huge that getting together with neighboors is not too likely, atleast in large numbers
BUT, Lone-Rock (located in wahweap bay) beach is definitely the most happening and partying and crowded spot on powell. There is land access to the beach and a "launch at your own risk ramp" as well so it gets hit with lots of visitors. There is also lots of good places to dirt bike and 4-wheel. so if that sounds up your alley then head over to lonerock beach
--------------
as for Page, none the less;

Dam Bar and Grill- "dam good restaurant"... and i aint swearin' either. order a "dam steak" and a "dam salad" and don't forget to take some "dam pictures too" on your way by the "dam"

Ken's Old West- another unique resturaunt with a traditional western feel

RD's- unique-to-page fast food restaurant

Fiesta Mexicana- recomended for mexican food

Stromboli's- unique pizza and itallian food

i think that is about it...
Old     (sixeye)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-04-2008, 7:49 AM Reply   
Like CWA said above, Escalante and Rainbow Bridge are awesome to go see. If you try to hit those from Wahweap, you're going to want a full tank of boat gas and don't go full throttle. You'll probably have to gas up again at Dangling Rope.

Here is a shot of us inside the grotto at Escalante.

\image

Last year, we stayed just west of Dangling Rope and burned up a full tank in the Malibu and Air Nautique boats. We took a day trip to both Rainbow and Escalante on the same day. We were doing about 40 mph on the way to them. We pulled back to about 35 mph on the way back to conserve gas.

By the way, Wahweap to Dangling Rope is probably 45-60 mins doing 35-40 mph.

That should give you a frame of reference. (It's a big lake!)

Here is a shot of us inside the grotto at Escalante.

escalante
Old     (bobert)      Join Date: Jan 2008       05-05-2008, 2:05 PM Reply   
I am headed down in June. We are staying up from where Jeremy is at Bullfrog. How long to the rainbow bridge and Escalante from there? Anything else cool up that way?
Old     (dppaneig)      Join Date: Feb 2008       05-05-2008, 11:50 PM Reply   
Moki canyon is a cool place to go, its a short trip from Bullfrog and really cool to ride through. We haven't been to Rainbow bridge yet, planning on it this year.