Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through December 22, 2005

Old    ryan_k            12-14-2005, 3:03 PM Reply   
Anyone torn these. I got surgery this week on them and the doc said i am out for 9-12 months.If i get a good knee brace and push my rehap you think i can be back in in like 3-6
Old     (showtime)      Join Date: Nov 2005       12-14-2005, 3:12 PM Reply   
my buddy just had surgery on his sept 20th -- he felt "good as new"--acc to him, weeks ago,, but he still hasn't been on the board... the doc told him 9-12 as well for boarding...
Old     (ivyrider)      Join Date: Jan 2004       12-14-2005, 3:59 PM Reply   
I had ACL/MCL and miniscus 11/04. I was agressive in PT, and on a board within 3 months... but its been over a year, and I am still not aggressive. The thought of having to go thru all that again is scary.
Old     (wakeparent)      Join Date: Jan 2005       12-14-2005, 4:57 PM Reply   
My son had ACL and miniscus on sept 21 st and will ride for the first time tomorrow, doc gave him the O.K> yesterday for light riding.
Old     (treycleaton)      Join Date: Mar 2005       12-14-2005, 6:49 PM Reply   
I'm with Misty, I had the same surgery on 10/4. I just can't seem to get over the mental block of sustaining that type of injury again. It was the most painful and costly thing to ever happen to me.
Old     (sanger215guy)      Join Date: Oct 2004       12-14-2005, 7:51 PM Reply   
WOW Just found out destroyed my ACL, slight torn Miniscus, and have to have my knee cap re-positioned. I start physical therepy tomorrow to get mobility and then hope to schedule my surgury date next week. The rehab program should have me back to full activity from 6-9 months. But as my therpist says each person is diffrent. I hope to be back on the water in 3-4 months and full riding ability in about 7 months. damn thats a long time. Anyone need a photographer???

Watch out Walt I have time to get good now.
Old     (bizzuck)      Join Date: Nov 2005       12-14-2005, 7:52 PM Reply   
you can be back next week if you want. it is best to wait until your hamstrings and quads are back to normal and this depends on how hard you rehab. there are other factors as well- how good your therapist is, how good your doctor was, tendonitis(sp?) - and all of these effect how quick your leg gets back. work hard and you can be back at 6 months. I'm almost at 5 months right now and it is starting to feel pretty good.

point is you really have to bust your ass to be back in 6 months in legit shape. anybody can get out there at 3 months, but you risk it if your muscles arent developed. good luck, rehab hard.

attn people, you did not have your mcl fixed.
Old    wakebrd21            12-14-2005, 8:08 PM Reply   
i have a partially torn acl right and cracked my femor(i don't know how to spell that). i tore it back on memorial day but just continued to ride on it because the doctor thought that it was just inflamed. So i tore it up even more. it sucked. then i finally went to a knee doctor back in september and they said i didn't need surgery but i need to really do some good physical therapy. so i have been doing that the last couple of months. my muscles aren't back to normal yet but they are getting there. I went to the owc tonight with a knee brace and felt pretty good on some of the small sliders but i feel like i need a lot more work before i can really go hard behind a boat or on the big ramps at the OWC.
Old     (ivyrider)      Join Date: Jan 2004       12-14-2005, 9:58 PM Reply   
Best advice I can give to everyone: Find a PT that specializes in sports therapy... better yet, talk to the therapists and find one that has wakeboarded, oro at least knows the activity that it entails. It makes a BIG difference in recovery. I started with someone before the surgery that didnt even know what wakeboarding was (he really asked me-is that a sport?), and after the surgery and a lot of research, I found the one I stayed with for the rest of recovery. He knew the demands, and helped get different reps in from brace companies to coordinate with my appointments to check out all kinds of braces. It was with his help that I felt comfortable riding so early.

Push it as much as you can possibly handle it. and after any activity, stretch, ice and elevate above your heart. Elevating it does no good, unless its above your heart. And having someone else massage it feels a lot better than doing it yourself too. LOL

To all of you that are going into surgery, build your muscles as MUCH as you can, it will help in recovery, you wont have to recoup as much. You wont believe how fast your muscles in the leg disappears.

Gary, I am so sorry about the ACL. I was talking to Stacy about some of it today, but we can talk more at Orwood. Look into a sports PT though, please? And dont let it get you down. Its hard to be broken, but staying out there and keeping your stoke up just riding on the boat helps A LOT. Take care of you.

Cosmocat-I hear ya!!! I have no desire to feel that pain again... in the leg, or the pocket book!!! They should have just taken the leg, for as much as it cost!
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       12-15-2005, 1:06 AM Reply   
My friend Katie partially tore her ACL last August, and had surgery from a doc that I feel did not take good care of it. He basically cut off the torn part, left the rest to rehab, and said it would be OK. Well, she completely tore it a few months ago, and had a reconstruction a few weeks ago by a different (better and more concerned) doc.

My advice:

Have a good doc!

Do whet he tells you! Most of us try to do too much too fast, before we are healed. LISTEN to the doc, do ALL the PT, machine at home, stretching, etc.

Get a good brace if recommended by your doc.

Stay in good overall shape. Crosstrain, etc.

Take all the advice from people like Misty who have been through it.

I lost my career of 17 years because of a minor knee injury/surgery. At least it happened at work, but I would have felt better about it if it happened boarding!!

Best of luck.
Old     (lreinsma)      Join Date: Dec 2005       12-15-2005, 5:11 AM Reply   
I had all ACL/MCL/PCL, and miniscus, followed by a blood clot after surgery (scary), but don't let that hesitate you from getting your ACL fixed. They don't do surgery for MCL, and rarely for PCL, but ACL needs to be done if you plan on sports. Don't wait to long to get the ACL surgery done! the sooner the better. I was ready to go about 6 mos. after surgery, with limited therapy. The surgery now days made my ACL knee better than the good knee.
One thing you need to work on the most is balance, it is weird feeling when your knee feels fine, but when you try to stand on one foot-you can't
Old     (badzuki)      Join Date: Sep 2001       12-15-2005, 5:47 AM Reply   
I tore my ACL/LCL. It was bruttle. The longer you have to be on crutches the more muscle you loose. I had no weight restrict for 6 wks. I had my surgery july before last year. I got on the board begining of last summer. There was no way. By August I could finally ride. There are alot of levels of surgery for the knee ligaments. There will be alot of people that say no prob. but mine was bad. I have scar 5 inches long for my lcl replacement. All for trying to learn raleys. I landed, just really hard and a little turned.
Old     (sherman)      Join Date: Feb 2002       12-15-2005, 6:27 AM Reply   
OK gary now that you are BROKE you can do some jobs around the house. I bet if you ask stacy she can find you something to do. The best thing I can tell you is stay out of the boat put a cover over it and lock the garage.Or sneak out the window and I can drive by slow and you can (hop) in we can launch at Orwood
Old     (sanger215guy)      Join Date: Oct 2004       12-15-2005, 7:37 AM Reply   
Well I have my Re-hab plan listed out already and Post surgery there is a maximum of two weeks with crutches with leg motion starting 30 min after surgery. Lots of muscle building exercises before and after surgery. While I am bummed that I won't be on a board until June, I am hopefull that I can pass the final agility test around the 6-7 month range to resume a full regiment of wakeboarding. God knows I am going to have alot of ground to make up by then.
Sherman/Misty do me a favor and hide Tim's board till about July that way I wont lose to many more bets.

(Message edited by sanger215guy on December 15, 2005)
Old    justsomeguy            12-15-2005, 7:40 AM Reply   
You've already seen my reply on that "other" site...

"attn people, you did not have your mcl fixed."

That's strange.

How can you possibly make that claim? Am I just imagining the staple that I've been carting around all of these years?
Old     (snead)      Join Date: Jul 2001       12-15-2005, 9:35 AM Reply   
Maybe that is a question you need to ask your Doctor.
Old     (sherman)      Join Date: Feb 2002       12-15-2005, 1:37 PM Reply   
you will be back before than
Old     (bizzuck)      Join Date: Nov 2005       12-15-2005, 4:21 PM Reply   
just some guy.

i can possibly make that claim because i asked my doctor and my therapist and they both said that mcl surgeries are EXTREMELY rare. the mcl is one of the easiest things to rehab due to the amount of muscle that surrounds it which is why they dont cut on them.

im with snead on this one. maybe you need to ask your doctor, or maybe you should have seen a doctor that didnt have DDS after his name
Old    ryan_k            12-15-2005, 4:26 PM Reply   
well i am going to knock this out asap so i can be back on the water
Old    justsomeguy            12-15-2005, 6:05 PM Reply   
Buck,

Your assumption is silly given that you can't possibly know everyone's condition.

My question was rhetorical since I'm quite sure that my ortho used a staple to reattach the distal end of my MCL (and my LCL too) while he was in there reconstructing my ACL and PCL.

Google is your friend if you want to educate yourself about why and when MCLs are repaired.

Good luck!
Old     (bizzuck)      Join Date: Nov 2005       12-15-2005, 7:30 PM Reply   
my assumption is not silly. my assumption is based on 6 friends who have torn their acl as well as mcl, a doctor im nearly positive has performed 1000+, and a physical therapist who has been dealing with knee injuries in athletes for 5 years.

my assumption is also based on the posting of people who generally have no idea what they have had operated on.

Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       12-15-2005, 7:47 PM Reply   
getting your muscles (hams and quads and calves) strong, and able to support your leg is easy to do in 3-6 months, and you will be able to ride/walk/jump whatever, but the 9-12 months is the time it takes for the graft to fully attach to the bone. You'll feel great, but the graft may not be fully grown in yet.
Old    justsomeguy            12-15-2005, 8:22 PM Reply   
Buck,

At the risk of belaboring the point even further, your claim ""attn people, you did not have your mcl fixed" and your goofy comments re: my doctor being a DDS, in light of the fact that I had my MCL fixed, certainly show that your assumption is quite silly.

Again, if you would like to educate yourself about when, why and how surgical repair of the MCL is done the info is just a Google away.

Alternatively, you can just continue to give out some more horrible "advice"(like telling someone that is having ACL/MCL/PCL surgery that they can "be back next week if you want").

Cheers.
Old     (bizzuck)      Join Date: Nov 2005       12-16-2005, 6:25 PM Reply   
that first sentence was sarcastic. any idiot could see that, whoops, maybe not. aside from that i was the first person to give real feedback on the thread topic.

i did like you said and my point was proven.

http://www.emedx.com/emedx/diagnosis_information/knee_disorders/medial_collateral_ligament_sprain_outline.htm

silly huh?
Old    jrhenry24            12-18-2005, 2:38 PM Reply   
did you not read what you found "mcl injuries that occur with other ligament tears may require surgery"....in wakeboarding its quite common to tear multiple ligaments
Old     (bizzuck)      Join Date: Nov 2005       12-19-2005, 3:57 PM Reply   
yes i did. did you read the sentence immediately after that which reads "Fortunately, the need for surgery for this type of injury is rare."