Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through March 22, 2007

Old     (mucktoerider)      Join Date: Jan 2007       02-27-2007, 4:30 AM Reply   
I have seen a few posts here. And it seems like there a quite a few people that agree with me supporting U.S. made boards. So now I want your opinion. When this post gets enough response...I think the moderator should pass on the comments to the wakeboard manufacturers. I thought I was one of the few who support made in America idealogy. But I am seeing a lot of activity that says "I am not alone on this" I know CWB (high end only)are made in the U.S. And this last issue of Wakeboarding Magazine...the buyers guide. Look at Hyperlite and the Imperial ad in the front. Bottom corner says made in the U.S.A. I thought they farmed all production overseas when they changed hands. Maybe they are bringing it back. Complaints, quality issues, not sure why this board is U.S made. But I like that trend. I know that the Byerly boards are touting the made in the U.S.A logo as well. I think it would be great for board manufacturers to bring it all back to the U.S. This is where the sport started. This is where the boards should be made. Plus it would be nice to get the product sooner and not have to wait for it to be shipped from overseas.
Old     (greenpinky)      Join Date: Apr 2004       02-27-2007, 4:48 AM Reply   
You're definately not alone in supporting the Made in America ideology. Check the new Tundra thread for some support on this.

To me, it comes down to quality and price, in that order. If a board is made somewhere else but retain or surpass quality, and is offered at a more reasonable price, perfect. If quality is jeopardized to bring down the price tag, forget it.
Old     (mucktoerider)      Join Date: Jan 2007       02-27-2007, 5:56 AM Reply   
I read the Tundra thread...wow a lot of heat there. This is a little different. These jobs would be coming back to America. Not done overseas. Tundra is made here in the U.S. Which is still not good for U.S. I explained it on that thread under Tundra. I work in Reseach and Design for a supplier for all these car companies. I have first hand experience with them (Ford, GM, Chrysler, Toyota, Nissan, Honda, Hyundai,etc. etc.) Good example...the 5.7 engine is the same as the Dodge Hemi 5.7 minus the hemispherical head. Engine is made in Mexico. Toyota is no different than GM or Ford in the way they do business. The factory is just a place they put the pieces of the puzzle together.
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       02-27-2007, 7:40 AM Reply   
I'm very into USA technology as well (or even made in canada, with regards to wakeskates because some good stuff is coming out of there). It seems like more and more skate companies are making their decks over seas, and some MFGs have multiple factories. It's funny, PS stix is pretty much legendary and they make decks in the USA, but this guy had a black label deck (pressed by PS stix) and he said, "what does PRC mean?" I'm pretty sure it's the people's republic of china. (I should state that for the most part, PS stix will brand in their serial numbers and where the board is made. companies like element also utilize ps stix, but where it's made isn't always branded into the board, but rather, printed on a removable sticker.)

snowboarding is the same thing, and very few quality boards are made in the US these days. Lib tech and Gnu, two of the most forward thinking companies, are supposedly dukeing it out with rossignol, since board production for the aforementioned companies may go to china as well (though they'd keep their actual equipment--just ship it on over in a boat).

in the watersports industry, I'm most connected to wakeskating. and lately I've been especially bummed on the taiwanese/chinese production issue. it seems like these boards fall apart rather easily...one new board in particular (one that was supposed to be high end) has been splitting right down the middle on the first run. It's hard to recommend a board like that when they don't last as long as they should. And especially with the high end stuff, that's a lot of money and it sucks to want to ride your new board and miss out on that because it fell apart right away.

Ultimately, everyone deserves a decent wakeskate, even if you're just buying your first flat deck. Making cheap toys that immediately fall apart cheapen wakeskating and they ruin the experience for that beginner who's so hyped on riding (and even the advanced rider that just droped a bunch of coin on a board that just fell apart). It's the same thing in skating or snowboarding, and the companies that try to get by with making a cheaper product that frustrates the buyer in the long run because it doesn't last as long as it should.

Anyway, I hope that things change and people start taking more responsibility and pride in what they're making.
Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       02-27-2007, 10:06 AM Reply   
last years eras, prime example. 3 pairs ripped, and the last pair i had to wait for it to be shipped to the US. the issue was suppose to be fixed and they tore first run!
Old     (entrustclothing)      Join Date: Jul 2005       02-27-2007, 10:18 AM Reply   
i had an 03 premier and loved that it had made in redmond, WA stamped on it. i think it's sad to see stuff go overseas but it's all about profit unfortunately :-(

i run a clothing company and all my clothing is made in the USA and printed by me and another local guy. i take pride is saying that my stuff is 100% made in the USA, i could save a lot of money by using stuff from overseas but to me it's not worth it, i have to be proud of what i do.

i know hyperlite still makes their high end boards here

LF is made in dubai, since dubai is probably the richest country in the world im sure work conditions are better than china so to me that is a little better
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-27-2007, 10:19 AM Reply   
Going with a Never Summer snowboard because of the quality, hand laid reputation. And knowing I've met some of the people involved in the manufacturing.
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       02-27-2007, 10:43 AM Reply   
It has been proven, that todays younger generation does not care as much about the Made in the USA as the older generations. They have grown up with Japanese made electronic devices and tons of cheapo Tawainese/Chinese stuff. Today we are a global economy. For instance, what happens in Japan affects us.

Those that do not mind buying foreign goods are not going to step up and admit it. Why should they take a bashing? Point being expect to see nothing but "Go USA" on this post.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-27-2007, 10:53 AM Reply   
I never look to see where something is made...??? So I guess you could say that I don't mind buying foreign goods......
Old     (joshugan)      Join Date: Apr 2005       02-27-2007, 11:36 AM Reply   
I don't consider it at all. I also love globalism!

If it holds up and gives me the ride I want then I am happy.

I ride the O'Brien Natural and it has taken some hard licks and keeps kicking. I have no clue where it's made.

I expect I'll be a Toyota owner my whole life unless they start to make shoddy products.

The whole "I only buy made in the USA products" is a slippery slope. Example: Do you shop Wal-Mart? One can quite easily make a case that Wal-Mart has damaged and/or destroyed many U.S. companies besides damaging local economies.
Old     (flboarder)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-27-2007, 11:42 AM Reply   
yeah peter I wont say I buy foreign goods because I am scared to take a bashing, oh wait I am not so here it goes. I could care less where the product is made as long as its the best product there is. I am not going to pay more for something only because it is made in the USA when I can buy the same thing or maybe even better for cheaper made from another place.
Old     (mucktoerider)      Join Date: Jan 2007       02-27-2007, 12:01 PM Reply   
Peter.....I started this post...and I drive a Honda bud! Josh do you work for a global company?......I DO. And it is a mess. There is no support for U.S. made stuff anymore. That is what I am not liking about these opinions. I am not slamming foreign made stuff....but at the same time I see people slamming American made stuff. The "I am not paying $20 more for that board just because it's made in the U.S." My question is....why not? Keep money circulating in the U.S equals more business and growth in the U.S. My biggest problem was mentioned already and I was part of this scenario. Having to wait for a stinkin replacement. I am doing it now with a John Deer Leaf blower. New Fuji engine being shipped. I'll have it back in two months. It started leaking on the main seal after four months of ownership. That is the bad...My Honda has 200000 miles on it and runs good. That is the good. Engine is made in Japan..not U.S. But with some things...like wakeboards...it is a crap shoot. That is what I am getting at.
Old     (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       02-27-2007, 12:58 PM Reply   
It's virtually impossible not to buy foreign goods anymore.

My thinking is that I buy American if I can. You do owe it to yourself to buy the best product you can though. I will pay more for the equivalent US made goods and more for a superior product. That is my way though and i have the extra money to do so and am careful about my purchases.

My biggest concern for the US losing it's manufacturing base is that we will lose our innovators as well. This has always been a country full of them, and manufacturing and industry always supported the education system to keep innovation alive. As our ability to manufacture our own goods goes away, what will we become?? Where will the money go?? Where will we get money??

If anything, simply understand where your money goes. Most people just don't care and they dang well should, unless they don't mind it when the US goes into a bad recession.

On large ticket items, you should definately research the product and demand the best for your coin. Just know where your money goes!!
Old     (joshugan)      Join Date: Apr 2005       02-27-2007, 2:49 PM Reply   
Flux, I think our education system is a giant mess that inhibits creativity from the start. The education system was set up to make mindless factory workers. There are still innovators from the U.S. but it's usually not because of fine manufacturing supported public education.

What will become? We should become an innovative society that functions because of a global economy. We should be businesspeople and inventors. And there will still be millions of service jobs too.

But if we're going to get poor quality goods then of course I'm against that. If manufacturing can support itself in the U.S. then it should be here. If not then it should go overseas. That is capitalism.

What's funny about the argument of foreign made boards breaking all the time is most of the board breaking threads on here have been about CWBs top models. Made in the USA . . . oops. Now I don't really see any correlation between made in the USA and breaking but that's interesting.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-27-2007, 2:55 PM Reply   
peter won't tell you that his camera was made in japan.
Old     (uppledup17)      Join Date: Sep 2005       02-27-2007, 3:12 PM Reply   
I just want to know how I can decide which products are better. Someone told me they were buying a RAV4 becuase "consumer reports" rates it top in it's class. They guy is 6'4". How the hell is he going to fit in a RAV4. I am just curious who all these "consumers" are because they have never asked my opinion.
In response to the thread question I try my best to buy American but being in the manufacturing sector and seeing firsthand the effects of "globalism" as people have called it, I am a little biased.

(Message edited by uppledup17 on February 27, 2007)
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-27-2007, 3:23 PM Reply   
By Josh B (joshugan) on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 2:49 pm:

Flux, I think our education system is a giant mess that inhibits creativity from the start. The education system was set up to make mindless factory workers.

Josh...what schools did you go to??????
Old     (joshugan)      Join Date: Apr 2005       02-27-2007, 3:32 PM Reply   
What, because I went to the schools, now I can't see the problems with them? Now that's worth

E.J., Don't take my word for it. Do your own reasearch.
Old    K.B.C.            02-27-2007, 3:32 PM Reply   
personally, I could care less
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-27-2007, 4:17 PM Reply   
Research on what? I lived it.... Public education, public university, public university again.... Same with my friends and now our children.... I do not agree with your assessment of our education system....

In the end, not one of us are a factory worker(not that there is not honor in that)....let alone a mindless one. I do not feel that anyone from the educational system that I was involved with, even for a moment, tried to hold me back or pigeon hole me.... In fact, I think if it were not for many of those great individuals, I would not be who I am today.

BIG THANKS TO PUBLIC EDUCATION!!!!

P.S. I have no regrets related to my education, nor do I wish that I was educated overseas....
Old     (mhsb1029)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-27-2007, 4:17 PM Reply   
So Josh the educational system that you would like to see in place is.......?
Old    dabigkahuna            02-27-2007, 5:02 PM Reply   
I take pride in riding by hand laid CWB platinum Absolute. I take pride in driving my Chevy Truck and my GMC Denali. I take pride in high quality American products, and I will support them as much as possible.

I like to think that paying a little bit more for a hand laid CWB is well worth the added enjoyment I get out of knowing that I am supporting an American company hiring Americans and paying American Taxes. Not to mention the fact that I think CWB has the best product and customer service out there. However, I guess I’m trying to say that it’s more than quality alone that influences my purchases. There is a HUGE pride influence of knowing it’s Made in America!
}
Old     (joshugan)      Join Date: Apr 2005       02-27-2007, 6:55 PM Reply   
Sorry to have taken this so far off topic.

Mark, there is not one that I think is the best. Montessori is very good and some education systems in parts of the world have good parts too. Some public school teachers in the U.S. are phenomenal and do a great job inspiring creativity. (and, imo, creativity and innovation is what will keep making the U.S. great.)

E.J., I'm glad public schools worked for you. You could say that they worked for me too BUT I had a Mom who was very involved in my life. Helped me study, get good grades, etc. I realize that I may not have been in the majority as far as that is concerned. Some really great teachers helped too but there were also some teachers that totally turned me off to certain subjects.

One of my friends got abysmal grades all through school. He was terrible at math. Teachers complained becasue he couldn't concentrate. His Mom was constantly getting after him. So was he just lazy? Airheaded? Stupid? He's now an amazing artist and musician. Yet all through his experience in public schools he was told that he was a failure or below average. That's crap.

I'm in law school right now. It's almost totally worthless and nearly every law student will tell you as much. I am working at a firm too and learn far more there than I do listening to some professor drone on about his theories of the law. Many of my friends going through business school have the same thing to say. With the digital and global revolution, business and the world are changing very fast but professors and schools are not keeping up.

And there is great honor in being a factory worker. (It doesn't change the original purpose behind the public school system though) I respect anyone who honestly makes sure that there is food for their kids to eat. Whether it's as a doctor, a factory worker, a public school teacher, or a convienence store clerk.

I think that there is a place for American factories but it will take creative people to make them viable in a global economy. If buying a Ford meant I'd get the best and most reliable ride then I'd buy one in a heart beat. Same with CWB. I'm an American Flag waving republican and I love supporting local business if the quality is as good or better. I shop at a local farmers market (i.e. farmers in the Phoenix valley) because the produce tastes better; I'll pay more for that. BUT I thinks America has some harsh realities to face and just saying "buy American" is not going to keep carrying us as a country.
Old     (lionel)      Join Date: Nov 2005       02-27-2007, 8:15 PM Reply   
A-Dub, I hear you on the Neversummer's. Love those boards.....
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       02-27-2007, 8:34 PM Reply   
Joe, my Nikon was made in Taiwan...get it right! My Chevy was hecho en Mexico. My Toyota is assembled from world sourced parts. I never said I was against foreign goods. Germans build some of the best vehicles out there. There are many places I will stand up though and say, the Americans can build them better than anywhere else in the world. Just look at our military weapons

I was the one stating we are a global economy. I do think it is sad though, that our country is outsourcing things that should be done in this country. For instance we send out raw logs out to a foreign owned mill ship, that processes the logs and returns them back to our ports. Some how that just does not seem right to me, but money is what drives it.
Old     (mucktoerider)      Join Date: Jan 2007       02-28-2007, 4:15 AM Reply   
Wow I started some heat with this thread. About CWB.....I talked to an engineer from CWB....The high end boards are made in the U.S.A. They have intermediate and beginner stuff made overseas. So what board broke? Call CWB..they will talk to you. And find out where it was made. I am with keep the money here from a sport that American's invented.... I will say this once more......I work for a global company.....it is a pain in the butt. We sent a team of three to Australia..now your saying cool...They worked like dogs trying to get the work done before coming back. But the program took a turn and now they are WAY behind. How is that better? Trust me...this cycle will change. As for a recession FLUX....look what happened yesterday to the stock market. I think we are there my friend. The big plung started in China. As for automobiles....Consumer Magazine is paid by the maker.....just like J.D.Powers and Motortrend. Be really careful on what you gauge your decisions on. These reports are all evaluated within the first 6 months of ownership of the auto...That is for you WAKEGUMP. Truthfully...this is going to hurt...but I work for a tier one supplier....and I know that your auto...Toyota...GM...Ford...Chrysler...Honda etc. etc. 80% of it's parts come from a supplier. Only 20% is actually manufactered by the nameplate. What it boils down to is how much money the company spends on the individual pieces and R&D and engineering that give that auto quality. Suppliers are the puppets and the O.E.M's (big nameplates) pull the strings. But it all comes form the same places. But lets not confuse this. Wakeboards are one piece set aside the bindings. Build it ...buy it...where it was invented...right here. If the overseas thing worked out so well.....Then WHY IS HYPERLITE MAKING THE IMPERIAL HERE IN THE U.S.A....Look in the wakeboarding magazine in the first pages of the mag. You'll see the new imperial board...look down in the corner...this is the first time I saw made in the U.S.A from them since the transition of their company. Well besides the Byerly boards. I bet you anything...ALL their highend boards next year will have the made in the U.S.A label on them...you watch!
Old     (mucktoerider)      Join Date: Jan 2007       02-28-2007, 4:23 AM Reply   
Wow I started some heat with this thread. About CWB.....I talked to an engineer from CWB....The high end boards are made in the U.S.A. They have intermediate and beginner stuff made overseas. So what board broke? Call CWB..they will talk to you. And find out where it was made. I am with keep the money here from a sport that American's invented.... I will say this once more......I work for a global company.....it is a pain in the butt. We sent a team of three to Australia..now your saying cool...They worked like dogs trying to get the work done before coming back. But now that they are back...the program took a turn and now they are WAY behind. How is that better? Trust me...this cycle will change. As for a recession FLUX....look what happened yesterday to the stock market. I think we are there my friend. The big plung started in China. As for automobiles....Consumer Magazine is paid by the maker.....just like J.D.Powers and Motortrend. Be really careful on what you gauge your decisions on. These reports are all evaluated within the first 6 months of ownership of the auto...That is for you WAKEGUMP. Truthfully...this is going to hurt...but I work for a tier one supplier....and I know that your auto...Toyota...GM...Ford...Chrysler...Honda etc. etc. 80% of it's parts come from a supplier. Only 20% is actually manufactered by the nameplate. What it boils down to is how much money the company spends on the individual pieces and R&D and engineering that give that auto quality. Suppliers are the puppets and the O.E.M's (big nameplates) pull the strings. But it all comes from the same places. But lets not confuse this. Wakeboards are one piece set aside the bindings. Build it ...buy it...where it was invented...right here. If the overseas thing worked out so well.....Then WHY IS HYPERLITE MAKING THE IMPERIAL HERE IN THE U.S.A....Look in the buyers guide edition of wakeboarding magazine in the first pages of the mag. You'll see the new imperial board...look down in the corner...this is the first time I saw made in the U.S.A from them since the transition of their company. Well besides the Byerly boards. I bet you anything...ALL their highend boards next year will have the made in the U.S.A label on them...you watch! They are going to go with the CWB business model. If you think I am worng...visit this site and I think you will understand where I am coming from...http://www.playmaker.com.tw/playmaker.html
Old     (bakes5)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-28-2007, 5:01 PM Reply   
Very important. That's why I roll with Liquid Force
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-28-2007, 5:59 PM Reply   
Liquid force is made overseas I thought.
Old    innov8actionsports.com            03-01-2007, 8:44 AM Reply   
yep it is.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-01-2007, 10:16 AM Reply   
This may be a little off topic, but not too much I don’t think...
There has been lots of talk about what country will be the "dominating country" in the coming century(s) and allot of that talk is pointed at China. Sure they have come a long way in a short amount of time, they have a large population, study and go to school like mad, and allot of stuff is made there... blah, blah, blah. Allot of statistics do indeed agree with the prediction of China coming out on top or near the top, BUT, not many people take into account that APPLICATION of skills for allot of Chinese people is not very good. The Chinese have suffered too much/long from the effects of communism. They are very good at copying things, and building things for other countries, but don’t have much independent thought, or direction to which they can apply their own skills and ideas. A shorter and better way to sum all this up is the whole country suffers from the "OPHILIA SYNDROME" (look up the syndrome up if needed/wanted)
It will not only be better for USA to bring things back to home, but also for China too, then they will be forced to apply their own ideas instead of others'... hopefully
Old     (mucktoerider)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-01-2007, 11:20 AM Reply   
Very good points Jeremy. That pretty much sums it up. The thing wrong with this cheap labor and cheaper products. Not to offend Canada, but their prescription drugs are cheaper because they do not have to invest in research to come up with them. They do not have to obey copy right laws. SO they take U.S. and other country research and formula's and recreate them. No research expense equals cheaper cost in drugs. I think this directly relates to products. No research cost in chinese made products...American companies giving them the blueprints to make them. Thus just manufacturing is needed. This is what is the dimise of U.S. manufacturing. Which eliminates the middle class in America. So the end results will be that you are either poor or wealthy in the future. But like mentioned before....some innovation is now leaving the country. We have people from other countries coming to the U.S. getting cheap tuition to our schools (way cheaper than U.S. citizens) and returning to their countries teaching others. Good example would be to look up doctors in your health care system. Count how many American names as opposed to foreign names. Not being racist. We just need America and other countries to be fair and have an even playing field. And if that does not happen. American culture, workforce and education will continue to dwindle.
Old     (bakes5)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-01-2007, 1:17 PM Reply   
I was kidding about the LF products....They all have a big made in the United Arab Emirates sticker on them.