Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through February 17, 2004

Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       11-07-2003, 10:58 AM Reply   
In my neverending quest to find a cost-effective (cheap) wakeboard solution, I have found an '81 Southwind with a 351 PCM/Borg Warner combo. Has anybody rebuilt a ski boat engine/tranny. If so, which parts (other than exhaust/cooling system) are marine specific. Does Correct Craft still sell parts for these older boats, their web site won't load for me. Thanks in advance
Old     (laptom)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-08-2003, 2:50 AM Reply   
Check Skidim (www.skidim.com).
We did some rebuilding (all seals and gaskets, electronic ignition, carb and a paintjob) and get all the parts from skidim. I think they have got everything from gaskets till tranny parts.

Good luck
Old     (jrichard)      Join Date: Aug 2001       11-08-2003, 8:31 AM Reply   
Generally, for the motor, the important marine-specific parts are: starter, carb, distributor (depending on the model, usually just the cap), exahaust manifolds/risers, alternator. Someone else add to the list if I missed something. Safety is an issue, so don't cheap out on these components when rebuilding. I don't think you'll have a problem getting the parts for the 351. Skidim is a great resource...I think Vince knows everything. I'd suggest buying parts from them and getting all sorts of great advice included.

I don't have any experience rebuilding transmissions, so I can't help there.
Old     (tlb)      Join Date: Feb 2003       11-08-2003, 10:38 AM Reply   
fuel pumps are also marine specific
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       11-08-2003, 1:33 PM Reply   
I will probably have a tranny shop go through the trans. I am going to pull the heads and see what the internals look like. It has been sitting for a while, so a new carb (or rebuild) and I will probably do a new starter/alternator/and ignition. Hopefully the exhaust manifolds/risers will only need some gaskets.
Old    cisom            11-10-2003, 11:58 AM Reply   
I recently went through a '75 Southwind with the same power/drive. As John and Tom said starter, alternator, carb, fuel pump and distributor/cap are all marine specific items. My engine was reverse rotation, so parts, specifically cam, starter, and distributor were reverse (as opposed to standard automotive rotation).

If the exhaust manifolds and risers are original, you can count on replacing them.

I found that Basic Power had very good prices on most of the components for this engine and transmission. Here's a link:
http://www.basicpower.com/

Good luck.
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       11-10-2003, 10:33 PM Reply   
How is the wake on that boat? I have looked at the specs and it is narrow than SN's of similar vintage. What kind of money did you wind up investing in engine and tranny rebuilding (if you don't mind my asking)
Old     (dizzyj)      Join Date: Jul 2003       11-11-2003, 1:43 PM Reply   
I rebuilt my powerslot tranny on my 82 MC. It wasnt that hard. I just bought a rebuild kit and a new set of clutches and followed the directions
Old    cisom            11-13-2003, 11:12 AM Reply   
I don't have any shots of the wake, so I can't really compare it to anything. It seems reasonable (for my 10 yr. old daughter), I don't wakeboard. The old Southwinds were heavy and with a bunch of weight they would probably throw a good wake.

As for what I spent...I had the heads rebuilt with hardened valve seats, new exhaust manifolds and risers, Edelbrock Performer intake and 600 cfm Edelbrock carb, rebuilt the starter, new electronic distributor, new alternator, raw water pump, fuel lines, water lines, etc.

I probably spent around $3500.00 total, but that included new interior, throttle / shift control, dash switches and guages. In hindsight I put too much in the boat and I'll never get it out, but it was fun and I like the boat. I haven't seen any others like it on the lakes around me. It's pretty old school - like me.
Old    nooner            11-19-2003, 11:26 AM Reply   
I had a machine shop build me an engine. It ended up costing me about 1600. That included getting an automotive block from a junkyard and heads. Then boring it over. New pistons. They reused my crank, Rods, Cam and Valve train. The builder was a car engine builder but was familiar with marine. He said the pistons went in reverse. I guess these pistons where notched to show the front location. Since my eninge was reverse rotation he said they went end facing the rear. He had to use brass freeze plugs on everything. marine Gaskets also. The motor has ran great so far. I have about 75hrs on it. I have not done a tranny. I hear its very simple.
Old     (gvb)      Join Date: May 2003       11-19-2003, 12:36 PM Reply   
Out of curiosity, what is marine specific about the starter for a 351? I compared the original starter and the one I bought from Napa, and couldn't see any differences as far as waterproofing went.

-gvb
Old     (jrichard)      Join Date: Aug 2001       11-21-2003, 9:51 AM Reply   
gvb, spark suppression is the critical difference...I don't think you'll be able to tell by looking at the case.
Old    nooner            11-21-2003, 9:59 AM Reply   
my starter is reverse rotation. So that is different. But yea spark suppression.