Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through October 15, 2006

Old    moombaguy            08-29-2006, 9:13 PM Reply   
I just had the 20 hour service on my boad and my dealer called me to say the my oil filter was recalled and that I need to replace it. To save gas towing the boat I just picked up the filter and replace it my self. My question is... the oil filter was filled with oil. Do I need to replace the oil that was in the filter? Do I need to dump the oil from the bad filter into the new filter? Or will the oil just fill the new filter when I restart the engine? I'm not to engine savvy. Thanks.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       08-29-2006, 9:17 PM Reply   
Just add about a quart of oil in the normal filling spout. I would start with about a half a quart and keep checking it till i is full. I would also make sure you use the same oil that the dealer used.
Old     (rich_g)      Join Date: May 2003       08-30-2006, 7:11 AM Reply   
as mentioned earlier, don't just throw the old filter in the trash. Put it in a plastic container and take it to any oil change place; they will dispose of it and collect the oil for recycling.
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       08-30-2006, 9:53 AM Reply   
The oil filter was recalled????

What brand of oil filter?

There will be some oil in the filter, which could be up to a 1/4 of a quart. If the oil filter mounts right side up so that it doesn't spill any oil when you take it off then I like to refill the filter before I put it back on. Saves having a slug of air pass through the system.

If the oil filter mounts horizontally then I wouldn't attempt to put any oil in it as it is likely to make a mess.

Either way, after you have installed the filter start the engine, let it run for 30 seconds then shut it down and check the oil. If the oil is still between the marks you are fine. Do NOT overfill the oil....
Old    moombaguy            08-30-2006, 10:04 AM Reply   
Hi Rod,

The recalled filter is the Mallory 9-57801. My shop said that it has freezed some engines or something like that.

Thanks Everyone!
Old     (zacharoo)      Join Date: Nov 2005       08-30-2006, 11:41 AM Reply   
The next time you change your filter you can just fill it up before you put it back on and rememeber to put a thin film of oil on the rubber o-ring with your finger. I my self do not change my filter everytime I change the oil. I change my fluid every 50 hours and in the beginning I was spend a ton on filters. IMO the isn't in there long enough to be exceding the usefulness of the filter.
Old     (26lacefield)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-31-2006, 11:53 PM Reply   
remember to make sure that the old rubber o ring came off. it usually comes off but maybe 1 out of 15 wont stay on the filter. if it sticks to where the filter goes it'll seem like the filter is on tight but there will still be a gap and when the engine starts everything around the engine will be covered in oil
Old     (fogey)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-01-2006, 2:42 AM Reply   
Amen to what Ryan said. It's an important point that I learned the hard way.
Old     (jklein)      Join Date: May 2001       09-01-2006, 3:57 PM Reply   
Also take a bit of oil on your finger and put it on the new rubber gasket on the new filter before you put it on to ensure a nice seal.
Old     (mitchm)      Join Date: Sep 2002       09-02-2006, 6:02 AM Reply   
Not for nothing but for 4 bucks why would you not change the filter when changing the oil. Does not make sense
Old     (deepcove)      Join Date: Mar 2004       09-02-2006, 8:21 AM Reply   
Ryan

I remember finding that out the hardway on my last boat.....and it wasn't just a dripping....
Old     (rvh3)      Join Date: Jul 2003       09-02-2006, 8:57 PM Reply   
As for filling up the new filter with oil before installing, it usually isn't worth the pain of spilling the oil out when installing. It depends on the angle it attaches to the motor. I thought I was the only moron that installed a filter over the old gasket!
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       09-05-2006, 4:13 PM Reply   
My last oil change on the ski boat was the first time I have ever had the gasket stick to the engine instead of coming off with the filter.

What a mess!