Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2006

Old     (darinmg)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-12-2006, 12:55 PM Reply   
I am looking to buy my first wakeboard boat. I am having a really hard time deciding or making a wise decision on the maker, hours, year. I will not be purchasing a new boat, so the dealer does not have any effect on my decision. I have heard a few people on hear say they would never buy a Centurion. I am just curious why? Are these boats in the same league as moomba and supra? Are centurions made from cheaper materials, or are they just lacking the bells and whistles of the MC or CC. I am looking at a 2003 Air Centurion wake board boat. 22 foot v drive.

Also, what does everyone think about hours. Would I be better off getting a 99' Air Nautique with 500hours and lots of extras, or a 2003 moomba outback with 85hours and few extras? Which would cost me less in the long run? Resale?

Thanks for everyone’s replies.
Darin
Old     (cbk)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-12-2006, 4:06 PM Reply   
Darin, You need to consider all of them.. I used to own a bu and now I am a Centurion dealer. Air Warrior has a serious wake, and they ride through rough water really well. Good Luck
Old     (tanner)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-12-2006, 4:13 PM Reply   
Well to me the Centurion is along the lines of the Moomba. Which neither one touches a Supra. Just bang on the sides of the hull. Then bang on the sides of the likes of a MC, SAN, Tige, or Malibu. You'll hear the difference.
Old     (cbk)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-12-2006, 4:19 PM Reply   
Stop by your local Centurion dealer and bang the hull... you will notice the Centurion is much thicker. We just installed PP in a 23LSV Bu and the hull couldn't have been half an inch thick.
Old     (kraig)      Join Date: Dec 2002       08-12-2006, 4:26 PM Reply   
Test drive them all!! Tanner, I agree that Moombas and Centurions are not in the league of a Supra but the "Bang on the sides" test doesn't hold up. The hulls in the Supra and Moomba are identical in their fiberglass and layment process.
Old     (imiguy68)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-12-2006, 4:43 PM Reply   
like they all say you need to test drive them all, but do not count out the moomba. they are all 100% hand laid, unlike the centurions, which are chopper gun laid, and that makes them not as an effeciant hall. you do get alot of bang for your buck, just not the bells and whistles like mc as far as cosmetics. also they run the indmar motor which 80% of the market runs, including mastercraft, malibu, and supra, which are all of the top three sales in units ytd.
Old     (tyboarder03)      Join Date: Nov 2003       08-12-2006, 4:51 PM Reply   
Darin- Up until about a month ago we had a 2005 Centurion Elite-V Air Warrior, and the boat was an excellent boat, and we never had 1 problem with it. Wake was a challenge to dial in perfectly side to side due to the deep V of the hull, but with weight it would boot you. Its really thick and vertical(not my favorite but others enjoyed it a lot) We now have a 2006 Malibu VLX, and interior is much nicer, dash/gauges is really an opinion matter so you'll have to decide, but I didnt have any gripes about the centurion except for our dealer(reason we sold the centurion). Dont listen to all the people who say tap the hull you'll hear the difference, Centurions hadnle very well in chop, and in regards to normal handling, the Malibu isn't any better just different which Id expect from a different hull. But whatever you decide on it's mostly what you like more, not which is built better since most all newer boats are all built very well. good luck
Old     (iman21)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-13-2006, 1:38 PM Reply   
Lots of great boats out there to choose from...Cant go wrong with a Supra or a Malibu. Test drive, and buy what you like. A lot of the decision should be based on dealer experience, service, etc.
Old     (duffy)      Join Date: Feb 2006       08-13-2006, 2:43 PM Reply   
Moomba or Malibu Great boats.
Old     (rich_g)      Join Date: May 2003       08-13-2006, 6:59 PM Reply   
For your first wakeboard boats you don't need to limit yourself to only the top 3 brands. When buying used keep an open mind and look for the best value. Think about it, would you only limit yourself to Mercedes or BMW when you buy a car? Those are great, but not the best for everyone. It depends on your needs.

I just sold my Centurion Elite-V, had it for 3 years and it was great. Very solid. Whatever you buy, take you time and buy it right, and you'll be OK when it comes time to sell or upgrade.

I think the wakeboard boat market has moved into a good-better-best segmentation. Just because you get something that is not one of the premium brands does not mean it won't suit your needs.
Old    chocobeat            08-13-2006, 7:21 PM Reply   
defenitely dont count out the moombas... my centurion experience was not the greatest, even if we shifted all the people but the driver to the left side of the air warrior the left wake was still not very ridable... also seemed very wide for as deep as the hull was... it was great for all the heelside heros on the boat.. but i couldnt throw but half of my tricks.. (very limited tricks at that)