Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through September 06, 2005

Old    d_anderson            07-18-2005, 10:18 AM Reply   
my anp will not let me turn the valume up, when I do it cuts out, I think something went out in the amp not sure. One thing I noticed is that the power light goes on and off but the amp itself stays powerd up. It is an audiobond 4 channel.
Old     (audiopro74)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-18-2005, 10:37 AM Reply   
check all your connections, if you have a glass fues holder i have seen alot of them look good but actually be bad. also check all the spks, if you have a bad coil it might be going dead short and clipping the amp
Old     (tommyg)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-18-2005, 10:44 AM Reply   
your amp is getting hot and shutting down, they have a protective mechanism to keep them from overheating. If you'd like to play your music loud, you likely need a bigger amp, or more amps to power your system...
Old     (jklein)      Join Date: May 2001       07-18-2005, 11:12 AM Reply   
Make sure you have your gains set properly. If they're too low, you can over-drive something and it will cut out. That's what mine was doing until I went back and adjusted the gain for the input signal from the head unit properly. Now I can turn it up until my ears bleed w/o any distortion.
Old    tigejohn21i            07-18-2005, 12:25 PM Reply   
I had a similar problem and like Chris said, it was the fuse. With the Stereo running, check the primary fuse connections.. wiggle em around and see if you can force the amp to cut out, even at low volume. In my case, it wasn't the fuse that went bad, it was the "Street Wirez" fuse holder that was crap.
Old     (jklein)      Join Date: May 2001       07-18-2005, 1:47 PM Reply   
I also had a bad "Street Wirez" fuse holder. I switched to a Pheonix Gold and I still had the cut out problem at high volume as he describes above. I ajusted my gains and now it's great.
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       07-18-2005, 2:55 PM Reply   
The blinking light is trying to tell you something, and I am guessing the manual would explain what that is.

Two reasons why the amp could shut down:
1) Over temperature
2) Not enough voltage.

Cranking the power up could cause either situation, but the temperature would have a time lag where the voltage could be immediate.

If you turn the volume up and and it cuts out a few minutes later, then I would suspect a temperature problem. If this is the case, try getting more air to it, space it away from the carpet to make sure the vents are not blocked, add a fan, etc.

If it cuts out within a second or two of cranking up the volume then it isn't getting enough voltage. The wire between the battery and the amp (either positive or negative) could be too small or there could be a bad contact somewhere along the line (battery to fuse, fuse to amp, or at the fuse holder itself).

Tell us about your installation. What size wire? How long is the wire run? Where do you get the power for the amp?
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-18-2005, 3:25 PM Reply   
I have seen lots of amps shut down/turn off because they are crossed over to low, Example on a heavy bass hit the amp shuts off and then comes back on, This was on a 5 channel amp. With a seprate control for the Bass. If your amp is pushing a sub try turning down the cross over.
Old    johncab            07-18-2005, 6:57 PM Reply   
I had the same problem when I used the power on/off wire from the deck. I changed the on/off power supply and it fixed the problem.
Old    d_anderson            07-18-2005, 10:59 PM Reply   
thanks for all the imput I will look at it more indepth tomorrow. I know that my sun in law played with the gains on the deck the outher day could that have any affect on the unit? Aso I am running two amps and a 2 farad capacitor.
Old    jmac_04            07-19-2005, 6:18 AM Reply   
I have had the exact same problem and it turned out to be my ground. The amp is grounded to the neg terminal of the battery, but the wing nut was coming loose causing the amp to lose ground. The amp went to protect mode and would shut down for seconds at a time. It wouldn't hurt to check.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       07-19-2005, 1:46 PM Reply   
the protection lite is coming on....my gueess is if it's not gettign hot then your not getting enough voltage assuming you've double checked all your connections. how big of system do you have? what are your gains set at? what specific amps are they....I have a few audiobahn amps in my boat.
Old     (leykis1o1)      Join Date: May 2005       07-24-2005, 12:39 PM Reply   
i opened up my bna d new well cheap amp cause it was doing the same thing..after about 30 min of moving the circuits with my fingers while running i isolated it down to a few bad sole joints i fixed myself..and whalla better !!