Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 20, 2004

Old     (kickasskel)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-01-2004, 7:02 PM Reply   
I don't know what's wrong with me but I hit my head with the tail of me board a couple months ago and got 8 stitches on my forehead. Doctor told me not to go in the water for over a week so that's what I did.

Well, yesterday, I hit my head again, this time on the back of my head and again, got like 15 stitches (the doc actually stapled my skin together...)

Funny thing is, both times, both my feet didn't come out out of the bindings.

How long do I have to wait before I go back in the water? I hoping not too long...

Also, I know that wearing a helmet will help with these gashes my board gives me...but what about the other side effects? I've read that helmet=larger surface area=bigger impact. Besides, it pulls your head back when you hit the water hard.

Another Q. Can I wear any kind of helmet or does it have to be water specific? What's the difference? I have a helmet for snowboarding but I'm not really sure that want to get it in the water...
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-01-2004, 7:40 PM Reply   
maybe you should practice something less risky.
Old     (kickasskel)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-01-2004, 7:47 PM Reply   
I wasn't practicing anything too risky~ I was just switching my board to my regular side from a fakie ( I usually switch without any problems) and I saw some twigs floating in front of me...basically tried to aviod the twigs while switching...landed a major face plant and somehow my legs were yanked backwards with the impact.
Old     (tantrum20)      Join Date: Nov 2001       08-01-2004, 8:23 PM Reply   
why not try and be a little less flexible??? like pumping iron and avoiding stretching or something...
your boyfriend must be a happy guy...

ok this was pretty lame... I'm going to sleep now...
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-01-2004, 8:36 PM Reply   
dont know what to say...ive never heard of anyone getting stitches from that. most people get stitches from hitting their face into a slider, not from switching from fakie to regular. Maybe you should get an instructional video or personal trainer, they could help a lot.
Old     (pittsy)      Join Date: Apr 2004       08-01-2004, 9:06 PM Reply   
some twigs are go to make your riding any worse just ride right over them, try to switch the board around faster.
Old     (yooper)      Join Date: Jun 2002       08-02-2004, 6:17 AM Reply   
Kickass,
You were definitely wise to come to an internet wakeboarding discussion board for medical advice. Whatever you do, don't go with your doctor's recommendations. As for how long before you can get in the water?.......

I'll say 4 days.....
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       08-02-2004, 6:55 AM Reply   
contrary to my typical opinion on wearing a helmet while not hitting sliders, I recommend that you definately get a helmet since this could quite possibly happen again.