Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 02, 2007

Old     (jkuzma)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-25-2007, 2:30 PM Reply   
Hey so I was just wondering How everybody motivate's there friend's I gotta buddy who knows he has gained weight over the winter, and seems down all the time, and I try to get him motivated to go to the gym and or ride, he seems not to have the same amount of dedication, and for me with every sport I try my best and I told him that this year there is no excusses and pussy footing around, how do you motivate your buddy so that you both can progress in the sport and stoke eachother out, HANGING OUT WITH FRIENDS IS FUN BUT GETTING FOOTIE IS MORE MEMORABLE.
Old     (nwsjake10)      Join Date: Feb 2007       05-25-2007, 2:33 PM Reply   
heres an idea..make a bet..something thats a win win, i do it with my girlfriend all the time, if she does something..like sets a goal..ill tell her ill buy her a pair of shoes or somethin..think about it..a. she did a good job, b. she loves you for the shoes you bought her. and c. everyones win win in the end, maybe try somethin like that..?? just an idea
Old     (wally247)      Join Date: Jun 2006       05-25-2007, 3:04 PM Reply   
Call him a pussy, my friends are competitive like that, make fun of him until he mans up not the best way to go about it, but it works for us.
Old     (hyperlitenrd)      Join Date: Jan 2003       05-25-2007, 3:35 PM Reply   
See if you have any free gym memberships, ask him to come along with you. If your friend is like me, going to the gym might be scary if you have never gone before, need someone to show you the ropes.
Old     (jkuzma)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-25-2007, 4:45 PM Reply   
First off all it's not my wife I'm trying to get motivated, she's a ripper, and second If I call him a pussy there goes a perfect pass...lol and then he's not scared just not motivated.
Old     (hawk22)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-25-2007, 5:39 PM Reply   
I second the betting technique. Make a serious bet...something that he'll commit to, but something that will sting if he loses. A friend of mine just made me a bet and it worked awesome. But the stakes were huge and neither of us wanted to lose: The loser had to buy dinner for the winner and spouse at The MET ($100 steak dinners x 2) and pay for a weekend getaway at a local resort (about $600). AND...there was punishment and reward...the punishment was that the loser had to be the winner's chore bitch for the day.

My buddy challenged me to lose 30lbs, smaller than I've been since HS (11 years removed) and he (didn't need to lose weight) wanted to get stronger so he had to bench 320. First one there wins.

I've lost weight before, but I lost that 30lbs in 7 weeks because I couldn't afford to lose. If he is competitive at all, and the stakes are appealing and painful, it should be a good motivator.

And the real motivation here is now that I've won, and the bet is over, I still want to do more.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       05-25-2007, 6:05 PM Reply   
by making fun of them!
Old     (nickdakoolkat)      Join Date: Sep 2005       05-25-2007, 8:33 PM Reply   
you could be gay with him
Old     (kylielogan)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-25-2007, 10:09 PM Reply   
I think it sounds more like he's stressed or depressed. Best thing for both of those is to get out and start doing stuff, IMO. Maybe instead of trying to get him super motivated to get after it by working out, etc., try getting him to just do anything or just hang out with him at his house, sit outside, and relax. Maybe start small and work up from there.
Old     (mkperceptions)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-26-2007, 1:38 AM Reply   
its hard to even get my friends up early enough to go out and board shoot. Its hard to loose weight trust me I know LOL. you should each have to put in 10 bucks everytime you ride. then at the end of the season set a goal like "who ever can do this trick" or "who ever can ride for ten minutes straight" something like that gets all the money on the pot. and the looser has to shave his head hahaha
Old     (helix_rider)      Join Date: Mar 2003       05-26-2007, 6:32 AM Reply   
I think I'd rather be friends with Jeremy The teasing/giving crap approach is negative motivation. Sure, it may end up working, and is cool in some situations that are on-the-spot 'man up' scenarios...but in the long-term will not engender positive feelings. I can tell from Jeremy's post that this bet with his buddy altered his life-view, and he'll always remember it. If his buddy had given him crap, he'd probably get tired of hearing about it and would still be carrying around that 30 lbs, IMHO.
Old     (jkuzma)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-28-2007, 2:25 AM Reply   
Well I think Thanks to this post, and that my buddie reads this forum all the time we have managed going 3 times already since this post, Ofcourse I was the only one riding so far but Hey Im not complaining, riding tonight was sick I managed to pop out to the flat's with my 07 Bonifay and what can I say....I'm Hooked, I was a little bit worrried cause snowboarding has been so good to me this Winter getting back into it and all but Wakeboarding will hold me in until next winter, To all the Support, Thanks
Old     (kylielogan)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-28-2007, 6:52 AM Reply   
sweet profile pic kuzma!
Old     (captain_vilfo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-28-2007, 7:55 AM Reply   
you could always find new friends who are motivated or just have him pay for gas and be ballast so theres more riding for you.
Old     (jkuzma)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-28-2007, 12:14 PM Reply   
Hey thanks Kylie-Logan, I was bored when we had a pwr outage one day due to snowfall so I decided to build a Quarter Pipe at the end of my driveway and set up a camera and listen to music from my whip.