Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 20, 2004

Old    jack_cheese            07-29-2004, 12:57 PM Reply   
I pulled or strained (don't know correct terminology) one of my ab muscles this weekend on a raley. It didn't hurt real bad, but then I rode on Tuesday and it got stretched worse and hurt pretty good for a few minutes. Now it doesn't hurt all the time, but I can tell it's still messed up when I make certain movements. I don't know much about muscle injuries, but someone told me I may have to give it 2-3 weeks to heal. Any similar experiences? Advice?
Thanks.
Old     (mango)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-29-2004, 1:01 PM Reply   
i pulled out my ribs at the end of the year last summer and it hurt for about a month.
Old    r_dub            07-29-2004, 1:05 PM Reply   
I pulled my groin snowboarding late last season and it took a good 3 months before it felt ok. I know, dont ask how I pulled a groin snowboarding. Doesnt seem possible, does it? Muscle pulls/tears take time to heel.

(Message edited by r_dub on July 29, 2004)
Old    heavywake            07-29-2004, 1:10 PM Reply   
I pulled my lower ab back on memorial day weekend,but I kept riding up until I hurt it worse at work. Thought I had a hernia ,but the doc says pulled or torn a little. SIX WEEKS!!
I do feel better and I have been riding, but being very cautious. take it easy and you will be o.k.
Old    cheeseinaz            07-29-2004, 1:59 PM Reply   
Ab muscles take a long time to heal due to the fact that you use them in just about everything you do. It's like a pulled hammy, it takes a long time to heal. If it hurts, then you're prob making it worse. Listen to what your body is telling you..take a few weeks off and let it heal.
Old    jdavis4            07-29-2004, 2:15 PM Reply   
I pulled an ab muscle a month ago. I fell on double up, got back up only to fall shortly after, pulling it worse. Didn't ride for 3 weeks, and now I'm 100%. I was like Rich, thought I had a hernia. I pulled it so bad the twins were hurting.
Old    jack_cheese            07-29-2004, 2:24 PM Reply   
Thanks dudes. Mine isn't near that bad Mike D, so hopefully it'll only take a couple weeks.
Old     (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-29-2004, 3:57 PM Reply   
Dude,

I strained my abs one weekend and they hurt all week and the next weekend more of the same and then one fall I pulled something so bad I had to float around and yell at the boat cuz they were like "get in" and I was like "I friggin can't".

It's been about a month or so and the pulled area is getting better. I have been stretching and doing some situps to strengthen the whole deal. It really sucked and I definately thought I had a hernia, but such is not the case, just strained and it's gonna take some time.
Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       07-29-2004, 4:20 PM Reply   
Don't do anything to bother it or it won't get better. Abdomen pulls take forever (or so it seems) to heal. I hate it when I get those.
Old     (bradb)      Join Date: Oct 2003       07-29-2004, 4:55 PM Reply   
I did mine a couple of months ago playing beach v-ball. I kept riding, but took it easy and it felt great after about 2-3 weeks. Then I did a hs backroll, and pulled it again! It's been a month or so now, and they feel 100% again, but we'll see I guess.
Good luck,
B
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-29-2004, 6:30 PM Reply   
I pulled mine a couple years ago learning a backroll on the cable. I kept tweaking it until a bruise showed up in the middle of my chest. Kind of freaked me out so I stopped riding for a couple weeks. One thing that seemed to help stretch it out was an Abs Roller. Just take it easy if you use one.
Old     (aneal000)      Join Date: Feb 2002       07-29-2004, 8:47 PM Reply   
That's wierd, I've been riding for about 8 years and never had a problem, I guess it's part of getting older, but earlier this year I was doing some ab workouts and I guess I didn't stretch enough before I rode the next time and I really pulled/overextended/ripped the muscle. I was really worried I'd be out for a long time. Every time I rode I was fine until I did any invert where I used those muscles. When I did it was horrible pain and I'd have to stop. I had to do some business travel and stayed off the board for two weeks and it got a lot better. I restrained it about 3 weeks of riding later, but not nearly as bad. A week later it was better again. And both times were on a raley. Good luck and I hope you youngin's heal up fast!