Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old     (barry)      Join Date: Apr 2002       12-20-2010, 8:55 PM Reply   
And this bird flies by my head while I'm standing in line. The store owner is a friend so I point out the stray bird to him. It's a beautiful green hummingbird! He tells me it's been there for a couple of hours so I offer to help him get it out. He opens the door , I grab a broom and try to direct the bird to the door.. no luck. I notice that each time he was airborne his altitude was decreasing. Then, like his batteries went dead, he drops into a display box of candy. I grab a box and gently scoop him in to take him outside. He was breathing incredibly fast and deep while laying on his side with his feet pulled in and his eyes closed. " He's a goner " I thought to myself. As I walk past an Icee machine I remember something I saw on national geographic; that is, hummingbirds need to eat often and sugar is a preferred food.He'd been flying around the store for a couple of hours looking for an escape. I melted down some cherry Icee and dripped it onto his beak. He was still breathing, but barely so I figured I'd take him back to the office and see if we can get him going again. I made a preemptive call to my employee Mike to have him ready some sugar water.
I get to the office, remove the bird from the box and place it in the palm of my hand- it's still on its side and to my surprise it's still breathing, slowly. I grab a spoonful of sugar water and put his beak in it. Nothing! Then I see his tongue quickly shooting in and out of his beak so I place his beak back in the water. He's eating! Cool!. Within five minutes he was standing up on his own and shortly after that he opened his eyes. I kept feeding him sugar water and within 20 minutes he was sitting on my finger like a parakeet.. heh! funny. As each minute passed he became more alert and fidgety.. then, without warning and just as quickly as his batteries went dead, they were fully charged and the chase was on! From one room to the next this ungrateful hummingbird made me run. We finally trapped him in a room with nothing to land on. I lift up my arms and the bird lands on my hand again! I move slowly toward the already opened door with a fully alert hummingbird sitting on my index finger and with a few flaps of his wings, he's gone. kind of a neat day.
Attached Images