Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 05, 2008

Old     (extremeisaac)      Join Date: Aug 2005       05-13-2008, 4:26 PM Reply   
Boating temporarily banned on Santa Clara County reservoirs
By Mercury News
Article Launched: 05/13/2008 01:19:17 PM PDT

The Santa Clara Valley Water District will temporarily ban boating on all its reservoirs, directors decided in a 4-3 vote today.
The ban will run until at least May 23, the beginning of the Memorial Day weekend. The agency hopes to develop a plan by then that would allow them to inspect all boats for the quagga mussel, an invasive species infiltrating the state's waterways.
The mussel clings to hard surfaces - such as boats and anchors - allowing it to spread from county to county. Officials believe the mussel first entered to the United States from Russia or the Ukraine in the late 1980s. It arrived in California last year and was recently found in the San Justo Reservoir in San Benito County.
The mussel can clog pipes and jam boat motors.
The mussel has not yet appeared in Santa Clara County, and officials are trying to prevent its arrival. An inspection plan is still being developed, and it's unclear how much the district would charge boaters for such a program. Santa Clara County Executive Pete Kutras has suggested $7 per inspection, but agency officials today warned that it could be higher.
Old     (hyperlitenrd)      Join Date: Jan 2003       05-13-2008, 7:46 PM Reply   
nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, no boating on my birthday :-(
Old    kidrik            05-13-2008, 8:07 PM Reply   
I had to fill out paperwork and stop for an inspection prior to hitting Clearlake in CA.

Same reason. We were heading up for some riding and a concert at Knocti, and luckily my buddy who has a house on the lake, got a piece of mail warning us of the inspections, etc. We had to stop at one of the various locations, and fill out some paperwork, etc. They asked a bunch of questions about where we had been recently, and then eventually gave us a "sticker". He never actually came and looked in the bilge, but I had drained it completely and let everything dry out before that trip. He says they will eventually charge for this, but for now it's on the "honor" system until things catch up........?

I heard this was true for Shasta as well?? Anyone? Bueller?

Good luck
Old     (fulltilt429)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-13-2008, 8:08 PM Reply   
I heard about these mussels, supposedly they are jacking up all the pipes in hoover dam. And they breed like rabbits.
Old    kidrik            05-13-2008, 8:09 PM Reply   
Oops........just saw Walt's post about this.

Anyway.
Old     (sangerlover)      Join Date: Sep 2005       05-13-2008, 8:29 PM Reply   
We were going out on the 23rd for a pre memorial day run. That sucks!