Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Girls Who Ride

Old     (lizrd)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-13-2006, 6:21 PM Reply   
So girls, I've been riding a while and have what I consider the prerequisites down for trying an invert (all four W2W and a couple of W2W 180s). Just thought I'd share that I did my first two backroll attempts and didn't die. (My hint is to not give yourself too much time to think about it!) I got home and watched the video and they were ok tries -- I see I need to cut more across the wake and let the board come out behind me. I got myself around even though I let go of the handle way early. I'll let you know how they go & I'll try to get the footage up somewhere. What is everybody else psyching up to do before the season ends?
Old     (kylielogan)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-14-2006, 7:54 AM Reply   
A trick ... any trick! I've been trying w2w for a couple months now and just can't get there, but I'm close. So I might stop stressing over it and try some 180's off the wake instead. The only thing I'm really good at right now is riding switch. And congrats on the backrolls - keep it up!
Old     (kslakebum)      Join Date: Jun 2006       08-14-2006, 8:17 AM Reply   
Kylie, I had the same problem once with w2w. This is honestly how I fixed it. Cut out, stop and wait a second then start with the progressive edge. Then you get to the top of the wake push off of it, pull the handle in (it naturally will want to pull out away from your body) Dont lean back when your in the air, otherwise your butt will always hit the water. But dont stress over it, I did and it held me back when I should of been working on other tricks. Good Luck
Old     (wakechic06)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-14-2006, 8:39 AM Reply   
My friend can't go W2W either, but her problem is that she cuts in hard but right when shes goin over the wake, she obsorbs it i her knees so shes doesn't get high at all. I don't know how your doing it, but just cut out, cut in, keep the handle by your hip and go for it!

As for me...I want to land, or get really close to a 360 and a backroll. But right now im mostly working on the things I already know how to do, and getting them smoother and more consistent. But I wanna do a method and some more grabs too. Oh and toe side W2W definatly. Kills me everytime!

Jamie
Old     (kylielogan)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-14-2006, 1:57 PM Reply   
Jamie - I do the same as your friend. If I cut hard, I ease off when I reach the wake, if I don't cut hard I get really good pop but don't have enough speed to get across. I've decided to, as Kelley said, not stress over it, try some other tricks, and just have a fun rest of the summer!! Good luck on the 360 and backroll Jamie!
Old     (ladythump)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-14-2006, 4:29 PM Reply   
Still working on the TS w2w here Liz. Been a rough season, only been out a handful of times.
Old     (tcluv85)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-16-2006, 10:46 PM Reply   
TS w2w, surface 360 front and back and HS w2w grab.
Old     (ladythump)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-17-2006, 7:47 AM Reply   
I was practicing my surface 360s last weekend. I slowed the boat down to 18mph and stayed in the middle of the wake and got a good feeling for passing the handle behind my back. Try that!
Old     (tcluv85)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-17-2006, 4:17 PM Reply   
I did that last weekend and on Monday, I actually rode facing the other way (on my toeside), talk about a weird feeling. I have really weak arms but I got the handle pass once on Monday, so I am ready to practice it again this weekend.
Old     (kylielogan)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-17-2006, 5:22 PM Reply   
BS - If you want to strengthen your arms some, fill up an empty gallon of milk with water and slowly raise and lower it - basically doing a "curl," with your arm starting by your side and then bending it at the elbow to like 90-95 degrees. You can do it standing up or sitting down and it's a lot easier than push-ups and it works! You can do the same thing with plastic bags filled up with groceries everytime you come home from the grocery store before you unpack the bags. You can do the same thing, but for your triceps, by hanging your arm down by your side and just a little behind your body (lean forward some and make sure your back is straight and knees are bent some) and doing kind of a slow pendulum swing by bending a little at the elbow and then straightening your arm upward (backward). That was probably clear as mud - sorry! (I'm always on the lookout for ways to exercise that don't feel like "exercise!" Also, I'm NOT a therapist so don't do anything that hurts, k?!) I'm ready for this weekend to try my surface 180's again and SOMETHING off the wake that is hopefully not a faceplant. Hope everyone else achieves their goals over the weekend!