Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Reez)      Join Date: Mar 2010       10-20-2011, 7:37 AM Reply   
Just put a deposit down on a new boat! How is the stock ballast? Do you recommend upgrading to the gravity games sacks?
Old     (dhill)      Join Date: Aug 2010       10-20-2011, 8:18 AM Reply   
i am not sure what the stock ballast option is, however i've rode behind and drive the boat below numerous times and the add'l 750 lb sacks in the rear lockers take away space, but create a perfect wake. i believe the only other bag in the boat is the long, maybe 1100-1200 lb one down the center (located under the backward-facing seat next to the driver).

again, never rode with just the stock ballast, but i love the wake when sacked out.

http://www.aquamarineofanderson.com/...61&pov=2203512
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       10-20-2011, 8:21 AM Reply   
I have no experience with these but just from the threads I have seen most guys upgrade to the gravity games sack in the front(1100 but probably get 900-1000 realistically out of it) and then use 750's or so in the rear. For wakeboarding you will have to find another 500# or so I would guess to throw in the front if you wanted to run the rears full or you could just fill the front and only fill the rears 2/3 full. It will be nice to have the biggest rear bags possible to help with the surf wave. That being said, from some quick serching the surf wave is a little tough to get really good. I think part of it is just hull shape and some is the swim platform cutting into the wave. You might start with making some sort of custom swim step or removing the metal grab rail around the existing one and cutting some of it off. Then have it linexed. I am just throwing out ideas on the platform though.
Old     (Reez)      Join Date: Mar 2010       10-20-2011, 9:38 AM Reply   
I see wakemakers has a kit to upgrade. I am leaning towards getting it
Old     (loudontn)      Join Date: Feb 2005       10-20-2011, 9:40 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reez View Post
I see wakemakers has a kit to upgrade. I am leaning towards getting it
The 21v is one of my favorite wakes behind any boat, but I've never rode behind one with the stock ballast. I definitely recommend upgrading, you want to get the best out of that great boat.
Old     (scotthons)      Join Date: Mar 2010       10-20-2011, 10:04 AM Reply   
I have an '06 21V and it had the gravity sacs when I purchased it. I believe you just pull the stock center sac which I think is 650lbs and put it in one of the rear lockers. Then you can buy another 650lbs sac for the other rear locker and get a 1100lb sac for the center locker. This is the set up I have and the wake is great.
Old     (spencerwm)      Join Date: Feb 2009       10-20-2011, 12:10 PM Reply   
I rode a ton behind a black and white 2006 21v here in Oregon with stock ballast and the wakeboarding wake wasn't bad at all. Good lip and shape of the face. The wake wasn't huge but still really fun. The surf wake was small and we were unable to let go of the rope unless we were riding the Hyperlite Landlock. Even with 4 or 5 people in the boat it did not have a lot of push.

We replaced the 400lb. rear factory bags with the 750lb. Fly High Fat Sacs. This was a huge improvement to both the wakeboard and wakesurf wakes. When wakeboarding I didn't fill the rear bags all the way unless we had some people in the boat or in the bow. We left the 650lb.stock center bag alone. We needed more weight up front so we used the old rear bags and filled them with a Fly High Tsunami pump and put them on top of the seats in the bow.

Remember that you will need to extend your fill hoses on the 21v if you are going to upgrade the rear bags to something other than a Skiers Choice or Gravity Games bag. I have placed a link to our kit below.

Supra BagBuster Ballast Upgrade (2002-2008)

Last edited by spencerwm; 10-20-2011 at 12:11 PM. Reason: Chip, Sometimes you gotta race'm
Old     (Woody)      Join Date: Mar 2010       10-22-2011, 2:48 PM Reply   
We run 3k in ballast for surfing and the wake is still not that good. The wakeboard wake is good.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       10-24-2011, 9:42 PM Reply   
I have always been a huge fan of the 1150 up front (i wish you could still do this with the newer ones). 650 in each of the rears. Try to keep your passengers further toward the driver in the boat or grab another 300 lbs of lead to pepper around the helm and passenger side. Wake is awesome. You will want to upgrade your prop to the 14.25x14 if you have not done so already.
Old     (Reez)      Join Date: Mar 2010       11-02-2011, 6:37 AM Reply   
Will I need to uprgrade the prop if I am running more weight?
Old     (scotthons)      Join Date: Mar 2010       11-02-2011, 6:53 AM Reply   
I had to upgrade the prop, but I think the elevation we are at was a huge factor. The lake is about 6,000 ft. We could hardly get on plane with the stock prop, but the guy who had the boat prior to me must have been allright at sea level. This is with 2,400 lbs of ballast.