Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 30, 2009

Old     (fink)      Join Date: Apr 2009       06-15-2009, 9:01 AM Reply   
Hey everyone,

I'm gonna keep this short and simple. Yesterday I went wakeboarding for the first time and it was so much fun. It's something that I can really see myself getting into. Anyways...while I was riding the board my lower back started to hurt. It was a very uncomfortable feeling. I'm guessing I'm not positioning myself properly. If anyone could give me a few tips on how to avoid this it would really make my life painless (pun intended)
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-15-2009, 9:07 AM Reply   
Which board are you riding? Are you doing back exercises?

There are many boards on the market. Each one can be different and some can be just brutal on your back.

Need to do back exercises to strengthen those muscles. I have lower back pain and have doing some small amounts of traction, inversion, and various other exercises. My back still hurts a little but nothing like it did awhile ago.
Old     (shon_g)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-15-2009, 9:54 AM Reply   
Michael...Your lower back will bother you the first few times you ride. That muscle group is used pretty much the whole time you are riding. After a few times out you wont even notice it anymore!
Old    justinh            06-15-2009, 10:19 AM Reply   
Keep the handle closer to your lead hip, stand even on both feet and Keep you upper body vertical (chest out).

Most likely it is not a strength issue. You are probably a little back-foot heavy and bent a the waist--Very common for riders just starting out.
Old     (wakerider42)      Join Date: May 2002       06-15-2009, 10:23 AM Reply   
In addition to what Shon G said, there is a good chance your stance is just awkward. Most new people ride like 'tards the first several times (or more). Bend your front knee (a lot of people tend to keep it straight). And just try to find a comfortable position. Keep the handle low and toward your lead hip. Can't really give much advice without being on the boat with you.

Do you have anyone with you that is a bit more knowledgeable or a better rider? It helps a lot to have someone like that who can watch you and let you know what you are really doing.

Danny

(Message edited by wakerider42 on June 15, 2009)
Old     (wakerider42)      Join Date: May 2002       06-15-2009, 10:24 AM Reply   
^^ Haha Justin beat me to it while I was typing!
Old     (tjdunklee)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-15-2009, 10:29 AM Reply   
Like everybody else said, it most likely just your muscles getting used to the new sport. The first time out every year my body hates me the next morning. Also, where you riding behind a boat with a tower? I've found when I ride behind my friends old i/o without a tower that it is way harder on my back....