Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-08-2011, 1:37 PM Reply   
My 2004 Centurion Avy needs a new steering cable. Seems a bit stiff to turn the whell. Is this to hard for a part time mechanic,or should I save myself the trouble and have the shop do it? Where do you buy one of these that will match (oem)
Old    sperbet            06-08-2011, 2:08 PM Reply   
I'd do it yourself. I'm not very mechanically inclined and I was able to take care of mine in a few hours. The part cost around $125 when I did mine and the shop wanted something like $700 to replace it.
Old     (wakebrdr94)      Join Date: Jul 2010       06-08-2011, 11:14 PM Reply   
Agree with scott. Took me a few hours and I had to borrow tools to get the job done. it will save you a lot of money to do it yourself.
Old     (twelve02)      Join Date: Aug 2010       06-09-2011, 10:37 AM Reply   
You can do it yourself... Search the forums, there's lots of info about changing your steering cable.
Old     (dizzlestoy)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-09-2011, 12:41 PM Reply   
Did mine. It turned the opposite way on the first test drive though. Just flipped the helm and it fixed my problem.
Old     (Riteride)      Join Date: Sep 2010       06-09-2011, 12:42 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzlestoy View Post
Did mine. It turned the opposite way on the first test drive though. Just flipped the helm and it fixed my problem.
HaHa I just did the same thing
Old     (wake26)      Join Date: Mar 2009       06-09-2011, 1:16 PM Reply   
Yep not to hard just tie a rope to the old cable pull it out tie the new cable to the rope pull it back threw hook it all up and presto all done. At least that is how it went in my old Centurian. Just make sure you tape the rope to the cable good so it doesn't come apart half way under the floor.
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-11-2011, 12:14 PM Reply   
Where should I buy my steering cable, the dealer or overtons? I want it to be the correct length. My floor is removable, so should I take it out to measure? Or will they know what length I need. By the way, took it out storage Mon and steering wheel won't even move, not even a bit. Feels froze up. It wouldn't be the bearing at the rudder would it. It feels tight, not much play.
Old     (will5150)      Join Date: Oct 2002       06-11-2011, 12:59 PM Reply   
It's the cable. Check the forums for length and look at the number on the housing part of the cable that attached to your steering wheel. I bought one at Overtons a coule years ago for $ 175 with a new spindle for the steering column. Read about this on the forums and go for it. you'll pobably need an 1 1/4 or 1 1/2 open ended wrench- that's about the most unusual tool needed to get this done. I bought one at a tool shop and it made the job a lot easier.
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-11-2011, 2:02 PM Reply   
Star by trying to read the cable part number number off your old cable either in the engine compartment or under the helm. Second, search WW forums for steering cable and your boat make/model. Third try google doing the same. You'll find the part number and length without ever measuring.
Old     (mobv)      Join Date: Jun 2002       06-12-2011, 1:53 PM Reply   
I replaced a steering cable in an 05 Avalanche a couple years back. I don't think you can pull the cable through with a rope. Mine was zip-tied on top of the fuel tank. Removing the center floor is not hard and will make it much easier to remove and reinstall the cable. The hardest part is reaching under the engine and removing the bolt through the rudder and the bolts in the clamp holding the cable in place.
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-12-2011, 8:54 PM Reply   
Just came in to ask about that clamp, and here is the answer. That does look pretty difficult to get to. Do you have to take all the bolts out, or just loosen them up. The darn water hoses are in my way and its a very small area. Shell from Centurion gave me the part number. Ssc15419 (Teleflex). I'm hoping I just need to loosen the 5 clamp bolts and not back em out all the way.
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-12-2011, 8:56 PM Reply   
I mean 4 bolts
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-20-2011, 1:39 PM Reply   
Successfully intsalled the cable, I now know why they charge so much. Would have been easy, if my hands wern't so big. My friend with tiny hands had to unbolt the bracket under the motor. My hand wouldn't even fit down there. Thank God for small friends HaHA