Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through September 04, 2009

Old     (brett564)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-28-2009, 2:36 PM Reply   
For those who have to store their boats outdoors during the season, I was wondering what everyone does for preventative measures. Any lessons learned the hard way?
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       07-28-2009, 2:46 PM Reply   
Prop the cover up somehow so water won't pool in it. Vents in the cover will help it dry out inside. Make sure the plugs are out.
Old     (jpuckett)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-28-2009, 3:15 PM Reply   
It just goes against everything I beleive to leave a boat outside. I know that you may not have any choice. That is a great investment to let it set out and the weather destroy it.

Have you tried to find an indoor storge facility for it? I was able to find one close to the lake for $75 per month. If you can't do that can you have a metal carport like one of these?

www.carports.com

You can get them around here for $795 installed for a two car size. You will have to pay extra for a taller one to cover your boat without lowering the tower. The sides can also be covered to the ground or close to it. Search around and you'll find all kinds of protection hopefully in your price range.

Does it freeze where you are? Do you use your boat year around?
Old     (jetskiprosx)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-28-2009, 3:54 PM Reply   
With cover - wax all exposed areas of the boat, cover the tires, cover the platform.

Without cover - same as above, but keep lots of 303 or babes seat saver on the vinyl.
Old     (lancesaville)      Join Date: May 2009       07-28-2009, 3:58 PM Reply   
Most boats made entirely of fiberglass are tough and can handle it, just make sure you have a tough cover with vents and at least one prop pole to keep water from pooling. For added absorption, toss a couple socks filled up with kitty litter on the floor and in the bow floor before you put the cover on, you'll be surprised how much moisture they'll absorb and spare you any mold issues. And +1 for taking the hull-plug out, water WILL get in through the cover around the feet on your tower and will end up in the bilge area. Good luck.

(Message edited by lancesaville on July 28, 2009)
Old     (radikal)      Join Date: Feb 2004       07-28-2009, 4:41 PM Reply   
shrink it if its the winter........
Old     (mac_attack)      Join Date: Oct 2003       07-28-2009, 7:26 PM Reply   
I agree w/ Hangar Pilot. No way would I ever store any boat outside nor would I buy one that has been. To each his own. I think the metal carports would be the best option money wise.
Old     (ai_rider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-29-2009, 5:17 AM Reply   
Make sure you put some sort of UV protection on the trailer tires. Unfortunately, we have to keep ours outside, but I have a cover that goes almost down to the trailer, so the boat looks like glass underneath it. You can also get covers or make something that can keep the tires out of direct sunlight.
Old     (kystyle)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-29-2009, 5:50 AM Reply   
I keep my boat outside during the spring, summer, and fall. I put the cover on it, then throw a tarp over the entire boat, including the tower.
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       07-29-2009, 7:21 AM Reply   
I have 4 cups of damp rid in there that seems to help. The pain in the ass is water coming in down the tower. I don't have vents on my cover that seems like a good idea. There always seems to be water getting in my boat no matter what I do. The carpet holds the water WAY to well. I have no choice mine is outside all year around. All my friends that live on the lake theirs are out all year around too.
Old     (mkperceptions)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-31-2009, 12:24 AM Reply   
I second the damp rid. works well. Mine is stored outside all year round. Poles to keep water from pooling and if you have snap out carpet take it out.
Old     (brett564)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-31-2009, 2:26 AM Reply   
Thanks, I do most of what has been talked about. In Southern Cal, we don't have to worry about to much rain or snow, but the sun is the big issue. I never thought of covering the swim step though, that sounds like a good idea.

Kitty litter in the sock is a new idea, is that like "Damp Rid?"