Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 25, 2007

Old     (nauty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       05-10-2007, 1:47 PM Reply   
Okay, a few months ago someone posted a thread about the platform on their Supra tracking black residue all over their boat. Rick Tinker himself posted up on this thread and even personally e-mailed me and some others with instructions on how to obtain new skid pads for our Supra platforms. Within days I had the new skid pads and installed them myself.

I've had the new skid pads on my platform for a couple of months now and haven't had any issues, that is until about 2 weeks ago. Now the residue issue is worse than ever. I'm tracking black resdidue from the platform all over my boat and sometimes it's pretty tough to get these stains off of my upholstery.

I really don't want to mess with a new set of pads. For whatever reason, perhaps it's my lake water, but I just don't have a lot of confidence in a new set of pads solving my problem. Instead, I have an idea for a permanent solution......

My first thought was a hybrid Teak/Fiberglass swim platform. My current platform is fiberglass with skid pads on top. I thought about removing the skid pads and then installing a 1/2 inch thick sheet (or planks) of Teak on top. Then I started to discover just how expensive and hard to find Teak can be.

My next thought is using composite decking material, like Trex. This would be a maintenance free solution. Not to mention, it would be easy and inexpensive to replace should it ever wear out. However, I'm having a tough time finding a place that stocks it. At most stores like Home Depot and Lowes it is available through special order only. Also, the color choices that I've seen are not the best.

My question is, does anyone have any ideas as to another type of composite material similar to Trex that is easily available and in a wide variety of colors?
Old     (insuranceman)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-10-2007, 1:52 PM Reply   
wakejunky, someone is calling your name.

hey richard, i do understand because i had the same issue. i ordered some of the padding from wakejunky and it was great.
Old     (bazel)      Join Date: Oct 2001       05-10-2007, 1:56 PM Reply   
What year is the issues with. I just picked up my boat and want to know if this is something I need to worry about.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       05-10-2007, 2:11 PM Reply   
I have heard others talk about this too, but never seen it in person. I have had 4 Supra's and never had the issue. Does it have anything to do with climate? Body of water? Certain year?
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       05-10-2007, 2:17 PM Reply   
Richard, we had the same boat (04 SSV) I never had any issues with mine. We're roughly in the same climate. Something weird about TREX..I can't explain it , but a slider was built using TREX on the river I ride, and for legal reason had to be removed, to keep it short the TREX floated when it was put on , but when it was taken off it sank like a rock. The slider was only up for about a month.
Old     (nauty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       05-10-2007, 3:20 PM Reply   
I have a 2004 SSV. The new pads that they sent me were from 2006. The new pads were a different material, but the same shape as the original pads. I think they use a completely different pad for 2007 boats? Yeah, I'm not sure what the deal is? Like I said, maybe it's my lake water? It's getting old though. Only a magic eraser seems to be able to get the black stains off of my rear sun pads.

So Adam, are you saying that the Trex stuff floats? I wouldn't think that would be a big deal, would you?
Old     (rake)      Join Date: Jun 2003       05-10-2007, 4:24 PM Reply   
You can always cover it with hydroturf. Tons of colors and patterns.

http://hydroturf.com/products.php?cat=Sheets%20of%20Hydro-Turf

Or gator grip as someone else also mentioned.
Old     (cinder1995)      Join Date: Aug 2002       05-10-2007, 5:03 PM Reply   
I had the exact same problem and the replacement from Supra looked identical so I didn't even bother putting it back on. I ended up replacing it with Hydroturf.
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       05-10-2007, 5:05 PM Reply   
Most every manufacturer covers their swimstep with some sort of black rubber coating. There has to be something unique to your use, or just the year you had the stuff. Seems strange the replacement did it also. I would not yet lose faith in your dealer or Rick to fix the problem.

Covering the fiberglass with something else is going to be very problematic. Different flexibilities to start with will cause one to peel off of the other. Water between the two layers will be another.
Old     (nauty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       05-10-2007, 5:08 PM Reply   
That's interesting stuff, but like Gator Grip, I wonder how it will hold up to fins from the bottom of a wakeboard digging into it? That's why I am leaning towards some type of composite, as I think that composite will be much more durable.
Old     (nauty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       05-10-2007, 5:17 PM Reply   
talltigeguy -

If I lay something like Teak or composite material over my fiberglass platform, I will be running screws up from underneath the platform into the Teak or Composite. This would be in addition to adhesive. I don't think that flexing or peeling will be an issue.

Also, it's not that I doubt Rick's want to help, I just think my solution will be an end to the problem once and for all. Rick and my dealer have been nothing short of superb in the 2 1/2 years I've owned my boat. If I were in the market for another boat I would hands down buy another Supra. With that said, if Rick wanted to swap out my fiberglass platform for a Teak platform, I wouldn't complain

(Message edited by nauty on May 10, 2007)
Old     (cinder1995)      Join Date: Aug 2002       05-10-2007, 5:28 PM Reply   
The Hydroturf is tough, I can't imagine a wakeboard fin digging into it. I've had it on since the end of last summer and shows no signs of wear at all.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       05-10-2007, 6:24 PM Reply   
Richard, kinda. what I'm saying is the TREX floats but somehow gets waterlogged over time (only a month) and sinks.
Old     (insuranceman)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-10-2007, 6:46 PM Reply   
richard, check out the stuff that wakejunky has.

i had it on my old moomba outback for over 2 years and it was great.

ps, still have the factory padding on my 05 ssv
Old     (gmarkham1)      Join Date: Sep 2003       05-10-2007, 7:28 PM Reply   
why dont you just buy a teak platform.. supra has them as an option...
Old     (boomisme)      Join Date: Oct 2004       05-10-2007, 7:46 PM Reply   
My company sells composite decking, Trex is a bad idea. Trex is made from recycled products, while this might be a good thing for the tree huggers out there, it is almost impossable to maintain a consistant product. (I have toured the plant, old Walmart bags and shavings from mills)

The better product is Elk Cross timbers made from all virgin hardwoods and plastics.

About the same cost for both products.
Check it out

http://www.elkcorp.com/products/decking_crosstimbers_deck.cfm

All that being said for the swim deck, I like the Hydroturf.

My 2 cents
Old     (jhgsupra)      Join Date: Mar 2006       05-11-2007, 3:43 AM Reply   
Nauty/Everyone

I have the same problem with my 03' swim platform as well, the stuff gets everywhere. I recall a friends Moomba doing the same thing. We both keep our boats moored throughout the summer but I don't think keeping it in the water is the issue but rather exposure to the sun. If anyone has pictures of their platform with hydroturf it would be greatly appreciated. Also, how do you remove the existing platform surface. It looks like it would be difficult to get it off. Thanks,
Old     (mcook77)      Join Date: Feb 2004       05-11-2007, 5:56 AM Reply   
I started the previous thread about this and with Nauty's help, I replaced the material on mine. I have not had any issues since I replaced it (only had the boat out about 4 times) - but I am also using a new boat cover that provides protection for the swim platform as well.

I had a sample of HydroTurf sent to me and it felt like it would be a pretty durable product, but would have to be replaced every 2-3 years considering what we do with boards/fins on the platform, etc.

If mine starts to do it again - I am not sure what approach I would take to having it corrected.
Old     (scar13)      Join Date: Jul 2005       05-11-2007, 9:18 AM Reply   
I have the same problem and mine has been replaced.

How much of gatorgrip or the other stuff do we need?
Old     (nauty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       05-11-2007, 9:58 AM Reply   
I had a thought this morning as to what could be the real cause of this. Since some boat owners have experienced the issue and others with the same model have not, what if it's not the platform causing the problem? What if it's the exhaust from the boat? Is it possible that the exhaust from the boat could be leaving residue on the platform that then gets tracked into the boat? If so, what would cause one boat's exhaust to leave residue and not another? Could it be the gasoline that's being used?

This is just a stab in the dark, but I wonder if this could be the reason. Before I was inclined to say that it was the weather conditions, (sun exposure, water temp, air temp), but I don't think that's the case. Last week I had my boat out for a few hours. The water temp was 70, the air was baout 75, and it was cloudy and drizzling. The sun was no where to be found and the air/water temps were mild. However, I do store my boat outside and my boat cover does not cover the platform. Could it be the daily exposure of the platform to the elements that causes this issue and not so much the weather conditions that are present the day you take your boat out?

At anyrate, I think the answer is resurfacing the platform. Buying a new Teak platform would be nice, but that's out of the budget. Gator grip and hydro turf may work, but for the same money I think I can find some composite material that would be more permanent.

Thanks for everyone's input.

(Message edited by nauty on May 11, 2007)
Old    wiz            05-11-2007, 6:06 PM Reply   
i was at the local dealer a few weeks ago & saw a 24 ssv with a line-x coating on the platform. it looked awesome. when mine gets scratched up a little more i'm doing the same.

teak is nice, but i'm all about low maintenance. i just had my racks & speaker cans powdercoated black because i got tired of polishing them every other week.
Old     (chaser)      Join Date: Sep 2006       05-11-2007, 6:44 PM Reply   
I bet the Line-X would be durable, look nice and last long. Only downside I could think of is it being a little rough on the knees and feet.
Old     (ryan27r)      Join Date: Oct 2006       05-11-2007, 7:02 PM Reply   
Yea line X would be he11 on board and body's, and you cant have scratched up bun.
Old     (cwb_fooguitarlz)      Join Date: Nov 2006       05-11-2007, 7:05 PM Reply   
the same thing happens on our 07 Mobius LSV
Old     (fhu667)      Join Date: Oct 2004       05-11-2007, 8:40 PM Reply   
Richard - There used to be a guy on Ebay that made custom teak platforms. Best I recall, they were pretty reasonable.
Old     (kevin_lsv23)      Join Date: Oct 2006       05-11-2007, 10:31 PM Reply   
You just need more ballast to keep wet and take a scrub brush to it once a month.
Old     (brick)      Join Date: Nov 2003       05-12-2007, 6:53 AM Reply   
Why not ordered the teak platform? It appears to be an option for all of the models in the Supra line. While it would cost a little more, it seems like it would be the easiest solution to your problem. But, i guess I'm biased, since I prefer the teak platform.

On a side note, has anyone had trouble with the rope cathcing on the metal hand rail that attaches to the composite platform?
Old     (nauty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       05-12-2007, 7:29 AM Reply   
Kevin - Trust me, I have plenty of ballast. My platform is a good 4 inches under water when the ballast is filled

Brick - Again, I'm not up for dropping $400 + (probably more) for a teak platform. I think I can resurface the one I have for under $100. And no, I've never had the rope catch opn the hand rail.
Old     (brick)      Join Date: Nov 2003       05-12-2007, 7:48 AM Reply   
Sorry, didn't see your response to Gordon.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       05-12-2007, 8:15 AM Reply   
what do you clean your boat with?
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       05-12-2007, 9:22 AM Reply   
richard... that could be a good point? maybe people that idle a lot and it is residue? who knows, but could be an interesting thought....
Old     (nauty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       05-13-2007, 6:54 PM Reply   
Well, scratch the exhuast theory. Today it poured rain for an hour or so. After the rain I went out to my boat and rubbed my hand on the still wet platform. Sure enough, there was black residue left on my hand.

If there had been exhaust residue left on there from the last time I used the boat it would have been rinsed off after an hour of rain. However, the platform did sit in the sun all day before the rain came, so perhaps the sun heating up the material on the platform is still a possibility?
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-14-2007, 12:21 AM Reply   
It has to do with the sun. My buddy had an ssv for a couple years and if he didnt cover the platform it would do this. As long as it was covered during storage it wasnt too bad. I have had gator grip on the platform of my I/O for probably 5 years and hundreds of hours of boarding. It does have some wear but still looks great. Im sure if I could get it up the platform would look brand new under the gator-grip.
Old     (jhgsupra)      Join Date: Mar 2006       05-14-2007, 2:45 AM Reply   
Does the factory install surface just peel right off? It looks like it's on there pretty good. Also, for those of you who have gone this route, does the Gator Grip and Hydro turf come in large enough pieces so you won't have any seams? Thanks,
Old     (kcfunk)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-14-2007, 4:00 AM Reply   
Hey folks. I just replaced the black neoprene on my 2002 Supra Sunsport V with HydroTurf and it worked great. I used thye old neoprene pads as templates for the Hydroturf so it matches the old layout. I tried it out this weekend and it will definitely stand up to wakeboard/waterski fins.

The hydroturf comes in a 60x48" mat so it will not cover the entire swim platform that comes on most Supra boats. I used the dark Gray diamond pattern and it really looks nice.

The total job including stripping the old pads off the swim platform took about 3 hours total.

I strongly recommend the hydroturf.
Old     (cinder1995)      Join Date: Aug 2002       05-16-2007, 6:29 PM Reply   
Yeah, the factory stuff is just peel-n-stick. The Hydroturf & Gator Grip don't come in big enough sheets so you'll have to split it into sections. I posted a pic the other day but here it is again.

Upload
Old     (nauty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       05-17-2007, 8:18 AM Reply   
Damn!!! That looks great!!

I think Hydro Turf is the way I'll go. Thanks for all of the help peoples!
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-17-2007, 8:30 AM Reply   
I'm not sure but couldn't you get it Rino lined for real cheap and it comes in many different colors.
Old     (silverlude)      Join Date: Apr 2004       05-17-2007, 8:48 AM Reply   
The Gator Grip does coem in big enough sheets as I did my whole swim deck in one piece. Looks great and holds up very well. No oxidizing to worry about and everyone loves the comfort,grip ect... personally go Gator's. I used the left overs for rails, bow, ect.. and the boat looks fantastic. Many compliments. Camera broke so no pics, sorry.
Old     (vfrdude)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-17-2007, 9:15 AM Reply   
Depends on the size of the swim deck - My 2001 Moomba has a swimdeck that's about 24" x 66". I was going to go with SeaDek material in black - they now have sheets that will do the whole deck - 39"x77"x5mm ($89). When I called to order the large sheet in black, Chuck Yates informed me that the black wasn't meeting their standards for shrinkage in the sun, and he wouldn't recommend I use it on the swim deck. He said the other colors would work fine. He told me they should have the problem worked out by the end of the year. I wanted black, so I went with Hydroturf, and I'll have to section it since the sheet size is 40"x62".
http://www.seadek.com/

It's nice stuff, they'll send samples.