Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 15, 2005

Old    zboomer            12-01-2004, 12:46 PM Reply   
I had 11 in my SSV one time, and it didn't seem crowded. (2 were kids)

The playpen bow and double-up seats really add to the seating room.
Old     (jon_a)      Join Date: Feb 2003       12-01-2004, 12:51 PM Reply   
I'm stopping now. Some people you just can't convince. If you would like, bring 13 of your friends and we'll go out for a spin.

(Message edited by Jon A on December 01, 2004)
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       12-01-2004, 12:56 PM Reply   
jon, i'm glad you knew i was messin...i was.

as for trying to convince someone, remember, we're all entitled to our own opinion. judging by what i read above, the two of you have totally different opinion as to what is comfortable.

i've ridden 23' boats before. i think the most we had in one was 8 people, 4-5 boards, 7 or 8 vests (i can't remember if 1 person forgot to bring one or not), towels, food, drinks, etc. it was comfortable, but i think anymore than that would've felt cramped.

that's just me, though. hell, i used to ride w/ christie fisher all the time, and she had 8, sometimes 10 people in her boat on any given weekend...talk about cramped! and her boat's a 21 footer.

(Message edited by dakid on December 01, 2004)
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       12-01-2004, 12:57 PM Reply   

quote:

If you would like, bring 13 of your friends and we'll go out for a spin.

wouldn't that make the total 15 then?
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       12-01-2004, 1:11 PM Reply   
We had 11 onboard this day (2 on platform at time of photo). It was cold so being squashed was a plus, no one in the bow tho. 4 kids too many IMO. Was very spacious in the drivers seat

I can't imagine why anybody would ride with more than 7 with any regularity
Old    bambamski            12-01-2004, 2:50 PM Reply   
Jon, maybe that's my problem, I don't have 13 friends

You're right we won't convince each other. Only boat I'd go on with 14 people is a boat with pontoons and has "party boat" in the name of it.

That many people on the boat is too hard on things, seats get worn out, drinks, snacks get spilled ect. Where do you keep all the boards? When we go out our regular number is around 7-8, we have 5-6 boards, one wakeskate and a surfboard.

Darren, probably no crying that day I'm guessing.

Just having some fun here at work, not much to do today.
Old     (jon_a)      Join Date: Feb 2003       12-01-2004, 3:15 PM Reply   
Pat,

About the friends, you and me both, haha. I definitely agree with you that 14 in that boat every time you go out is NOT the way to go. Besides, You know how long it would take for everybody to get 2 sets in? Plus when I get in the boat, I'm wore out and need room to lay down, haha. That day we had 14, only about 6 boarded. We had 4 boards in the board racks, the wakesurfer under the playpen, 1 board on each side of the engine and a wakeskate under a seat. The ideal number of people for the boat would be 6-10 imo.
Old    rugr            12-02-2004, 6:46 AM Reply   
OK, I'm competely torn between these two boats. I think the Moomba XLV is just great, I just can't stand to take the hit on the depreciation over the next few years. The X-30 is about $500 more, at 38K but will loose much less value in the next few years. But no warranty, with the Mastercraft. Plus the Moomba is from a dealer, who has a good reputation to uphold, whereas, the MC is from a private seller.

Here are a few pics that should give some clues as to why my decision is so hard:
The XLV:

04 XLV GG Ed.

The X-30:

04 X-30 Wakeboard Ed.

Maybe we should take a vote!
Old     (pierce_bronkite)      Join Date: Jul 2003       12-02-2004, 6:52 AM Reply   

quote:

But no warranty, with the Mastercraft. Plus the Moomba is from a dealer, who has a good reputation to uphold

That statement should significantly help your decision. BTW, I dont think I have heard or read any good comments about the X-30s wake.
Old    rugr            12-02-2004, 7:16 AM Reply   
Pierce,

Thanks. I haven't heard or read anything good about its wake either! Anyone?? Anyone? . . .
Old     (supraman)      Join Date: Jan 2002       12-02-2004, 8:20 AM Reply   
Ryan,

I've ridden behind both. In terms of both size and shape, I think the XLV wins easily. It was designed from the outset for wakeboarding and you can see the cutout in the picture you posted of where the chine cuts away for a narrower rear/transom below the water line. This helps the boat sit lower in the water = kick up a nice wake. The X-30 is significantly wider below the water line, making it much more difficult to sink to acheive the wake you (I think) are looking for.

Unweighted, the XLV wins easily. With boats weighted down a medium amount, the XLV still has both better shape and size. In fairness, I've never ridden behind an X-30 fully sacked out the way I have an XLV so I can't make a head-to-head comparison at that level.

From a marketing perspective, the new Supra 24 really is a better head-to-head comparison in terms of target audience. The XLV is an incredible value boat with no direct competitor at that price point. (Unless you're looking at used, as you are.)
Old     (cyclonecj)      Join Date: Jul 2001       12-02-2004, 8:59 AM Reply   
Depreciation is meaningless unless you plan on selling the boat before the value levels out after a couple of years, at that point the age and condition of the boat is a big factor. The X30 would be older and have more wear. If you plan on keeping it for a while, who cares? I'd bet the XLV would be easier to sell because of it's excellent wake performance.
Old     (kraig)      Join Date: Dec 2002       12-02-2004, 5:20 PM Reply   
Well said Psyclone!!! Depreciation means nothing unless you are planning on selling it in the next year or two. Take it from someone who owns a black XLV identical to the one you are looking at, which is me, I absolutely love it! And one thing I love about it is the size! In this case size does matter! LOL! It is sooooo freakin comfortable when you have a crew on board. And warranty is good as gold! Keep in mind that the XLV will come with a lifetime warranty on the hull. The Mastercraft only comes with it if you are the original owner. Same goes with SC boats too. I think that dealing with a dealer is a big advantage! And it puts out a monsterous wake! I am very happy with it. This was a boat that Matt Brown and SC spent years in R&D. They wanted a serious wakeboard boat but with tons of room. The cut out under the water line accomplishes this. I can't say enough about the room! You don't know how much you will appreciate it until you experience it on a few outings.
Old     (redsupralaunch)      Join Date: Aug 2002       12-02-2004, 5:48 PM Reply   
I think your assumption is false on X30 depreciating less than the XLV. Think about it two years from now a guy just like you is looking to buy a used boat & its between a 4 year old X30 or a 2 year old XLV with 1 year warranty on the motor. Your not gonna convince me that the 4 year old X30 is worth more money than the 2 year old XLV - no way. Let me make this easy - you are gonna spend 38K, a hell of alot of money. So for 38k do you want a BRAND NEW boat or a used one? Good Luck and send us a pic!
Old    rugr            12-02-2004, 7:49 PM Reply   
Pierce, Matt, Psy, Kraig, and Chris,

Thanks! Good points all of you. I'm gonna call my dealer tonight and close the deal on the Moomba...

R.
Old     (kraig)      Join Date: Dec 2002       12-03-2004, 3:08 PM Reply   
And the verdict is in: XLV WINS!!!!! I wonder how many other stories are out there just like this one...Hmmm...... Also, have to agree with Chris. I sold my 02 Moomba Outback with very little depriciation, in one day and beat out a few MC's the buyer was looking at too. There's two stories.....

(Message edited by Kraig on December 03, 2004)
Old     (suprasteve)      Join Date: Nov 2004       12-04-2004, 3:07 PM Reply   
Congrats on the new boat Ryan!!!

I think your made a great choice. Remember what they say, the greatest 2 days of a boat owners life is the day he takes ownership of the boat and the day he sells it!!!! hahaha...

(i've enjoyed almost every minute of being a boat owner)
Old     (redsupralaunch)      Join Date: Aug 2002       12-04-2004, 5:16 PM Reply   
Yes Ryan - Congrats
Old    rugr            12-06-2004, 5:57 AM Reply   
Kraig Kaiser,

I got both of your PM's and I replied to them both, I guess you are not getting my replies. Go ahead and send the info good and bad, even though the purchase is already made.

Thanks,
Ryan

(Message edited by rugr on December 06, 2004)
Old     (bigworm)      Join Date: Dec 2004       12-17-2004, 4:51 PM Reply   
i say buy the moomba or the supra...i hear there gonna switch to both boats in the upcoming x games ...parks is tired of riding behind the mastercraft...wants the titanic moomba wake...or the dash splitting supra wake...which if all you rocket scientests out there read...the supra is the leading manufacturers warranty claiments in the ENTIRE marine industry ...broken dashes number one complaint of all supra owners...if your gonna buy a suprea or a moomba...buy the moomba ..its identical to the supra without the so called fluff that other tub has....the mastercraft smashes those two boats...get real people..this is winter time...whats the used boat market look like right now....i just had a friend buy a used moomba from a guy that payed 36000.00 for 3 years ago...my pal just paid 21 k for it 2 weeks ago...dont tell me about quality....big worm out until people are ready to be real.....
Old     (rickt)      Join Date: May 2002       12-17-2004, 5:07 PM Reply   
Big Worm,

I would be glad to take you through our factory, if you are ever in the Maryville, Tn area. As to Splitting dashes,etc. You must have access to warranty reports that I don't. We won't be pulling the X games just the Gravity games next year. Mastercraft builds a great boat and they are a good competitor.

Rick
Old     (bigworm)      Join Date: Dec 2004       12-17-2004, 5:12 PM Reply   
ok id love to... next time im down checking out the mc plant in vonore ill have to stop bye... that also brings up another point ive had people come to me and say why do i need to spend the extra money the supra guy said that their boats are made by mastercraft..... not true
Old     (rickt)      Join Date: May 2002       12-17-2004, 5:22 PM Reply   
Just call. We are only about 20 minutes from their plant and you will pass us on the way down. As to the Supra guy(dealer) saying the boats are made by MasterCraft. Obviously not true. Though most of our owners and management staff did work there for a considerable period of time. Might contribute to the confusion.
Old     (bigworm)      Join Date: Dec 2004       12-17-2004, 5:32 PM Reply   
rick i wasnt tryin to bash your product i wasmerely trying to make a point... at the boat show here a year or two ago mastercraft had some literature about the real differences in all the boats the other manufacturers said it wasnt fair and tried to get them to stop giving them out.
Old    sean123            12-18-2004, 4:05 AM Reply   
bigworm....

you are obviosly an idiot, and show disrspect to your employer and dealership!
Old     (bigworm)      Join Date: Dec 2004       12-18-2004, 3:11 PM Reply   
sean your obviously an idiot for making assumptions.
Old    sean123            12-18-2004, 5:55 PM Reply   
Norm

What assupmtions? That you are an IDIOT? Not an assumption
Old     (redsupralaunch)      Join Date: Aug 2002       12-18-2004, 7:19 PM Reply   
Please stop. Take a deep, long, mature, breath. Lets focus on fun. I and most of the riders on this site can go to work and listen to this crap all day long. I have Talked to hundreds of people on WW who come here to have fun. Do not ruin it.
Old    xtreme_kc            01-14-2005, 2:02 PM Reply   
Let me say this...as a dealer for Skiers Choice and MasterCraft.
Our dealership sells Supra, Moomba, and MasterCraft.
That being said, I can look anyone in the eye and tell them that I am very happy to sell what I am confident to be the best boats in their perspective market segments.
Moomba boats have proven to us to be VERY good values to our customers. The customers of ours that have purchased Moomba from us have been very happy with the product. (100% CSI)
Supra has been a very good product to battle Malibu and Tige in our market.
MasterCraft is as well built as any other, and for a buyer who wants what he views to be the best built and most finely finished boat available, MasterCraft fits the bill.
Now to get to the point...we simply have no more problems with the Moomba boats than any of the others. Problems in all 3 are rare indeed.
It is true that a more expensive boat doesn't always equate to a better boat....at the same time a less expensive boat doesn't mean that it is junk.
The right boat, at the right price....that is the key! And it is totally up to the individual to decide if it's right or not.
A final note: warranties always help, they never hurt!
Old     (schmo)      Join Date: Oct 2003       01-17-2005, 4:56 AM Reply   
^^^^ Words of reason in this thread. Now why did you have to go and do that?
Old     (redsupralaunch)      Join Date: Aug 2002       01-17-2005, 2:44 PM Reply   
Nice post Bob, Thanks!