Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through October 15, 2006

Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-19-2006, 9:20 PM Reply   
Talk is cheap, lets see some wake pics.
Old     (niko)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-20-2006, 11:36 AM Reply   
While working at an MB dealer, I had the opportunity to ride behind the black tomcat seen above this week. I, at first, was a tad skeptical of the tower and hull design, but after having seen it was thoroughly impressed. To answer a few of the questions above, the boat has the PCM 375HP ZR6 motor, just like the V23 B-52's have. Also like the B-52 triple up ballast system, the tomcat will have 2,500 lbs of ballast, but with out a front tank. As far as the tower goes, it was surprisingly sturdy and even had swivel board racks.

The wake was very large.. as any boat should be with 2500 fricken pounds in it. But most importantly, it did not feel like hitting a wall of water, unlike a select few wakeboard boats. It was very rampy and flowing at the same time. Now i am no self proclaimed celebrity like our friend Bryan here, so im not gonna tell you that the wake will make a novice rider land 9's and 10's with ease, im just saying that the wake is awesome...
Old     (pdxviperguy)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-20-2006, 11:40 AM Reply   
hey did I ever say that I was landing 9's and 10's. Maybe we need a group hooked on phoenics lesson.
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       07-20-2006, 12:21 PM Reply   
Bryan said:

"It was large enough to land 9's and 10's off of with ease."

'With ease' is sort of like when I tied my shoes this morning.

I am just teasing you, it just made it sound like any joe could land a 9 behind that boat. Sorry that we are picking on you.

I think that orange boat is a beauty. My next boat is going to be orange.
Old     (wakejunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-20-2006, 3:11 PM Reply   
I would venture to guess that the tower was designed with two things in mind.
1.) Something new and different.
2.) Don't have to pay royalties to CC (outside the patent infringement)

Just a guess.

Chris
Get the Grip you Deserve
www.wakejunky.com
Old     (boarder_x)      Join Date: Mar 2006       07-20-2006, 3:30 PM Reply   
If this tower is outside the patent infringement, wouldn't the illusion tower be as well? They both come from the back, instead of two fron, two rear mounting positions. This one doubles back on itself though. Is that the deciding factor?
Old     (unclesam)      Join Date: Nov 2005       07-21-2006, 12:04 AM Reply   
Here is a little review from a guy on our local site.

"I just got back from the iRide tour with Cobe Mikacich and he had the F23 Tomcat. After seeing pictures on WakeWorld I was quite skeptical about the boat. I didn't like the tower and the front end was horribly ugly. Well I am here to say this boat is actually legit.

The tower looks good in person. It flows really well and actually mounts to the boat better than the standard front/back configuration most boats use now. It should help alleviate any spider cracking over time. Plus it has headlights where the tower comes to a point. Nice little touch!

The prongs on the front, though they stick out a little far, actually serve a purpose. If you have ever seen, or ridin, in an X-Star you know that they tend to take water over the front fairly easily. Well MB has actually designed this fork to catch the nose before it dives under (I'm not sure that was the exact intent, but it sure works). It kinda acts like a pontoon to float the front end.

There is plenty of space inside the boat to seat close to 16 people, even though the inside of the boat is just shy of 22'. 4 people can comfortably sit in the bow of the boat. We had 11 today and there was still plenty of room.

The boat has plenty of power out of the hole. Even with 11 people and 2300lbs of ballast it only took about 5-10 seconds to plane out. All around it was a smooth ride and took rollers and chop really smooth.

The wake was large and rampy, yet it didn't appear too steep. I didn't ride behind it, but everyone who did was impressed and only took a few hits to get used to it. Cobe even said there are still a few minors adjustments to get the wake dialed in.

All around I was very impressed. Like I said, they are still making some minor adjustments to get things just right before this boat hits 100% production. The factory even has another prop they want to try that will add some more performance.

I definitely think MB has made an exceptional boat! Should give the X-Star a pretty good run...guess we'll see."
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       07-21-2006, 6:57 AM Reply   
Come on, not one of you took one pic of the wake?

quote:

The tower...actually mounts to the boat better than the standard front/back configuration most boats use now. It should help alleviate any spider cracking over time...

Unless it goes thru the deck to the stringers or something crazy, there is nothing about the design of that tower that would help reduce stress to the deck, if that's what he's saying. There is no way that tower is easier on the deck than a Titan I/II or Monster.
Old     (scottyb)      Join Date: Sep 2002       07-21-2006, 8:34 AM Reply   
Not like hitting a wall of water, count me out...
Old    septicwaters            07-24-2006, 12:13 PM Reply   
I rode behind the orange TOMCAT Saturday Morning. The wake is super clean nice big ramp with good kick at the top!
Old     (pdxviperguy)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-24-2006, 12:25 PM Reply   
do you think that it has the same wake for the most part as the B52 V23?
Old    sevenseven            07-24-2006, 1:38 PM Reply   
I hate the tower and the front end. I think it looks stupid. Just my 2 cents
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       07-24-2006, 2:14 PM Reply   

quote:

Come on, not one of you took one pic of the wake?

Why does it take so long to see wake pics on these threads about radically different new boats? Are you signing a non-disclosure agreement in exchange for a pull?
Old    septicwaters            07-26-2006, 9:23 AM Reply   
Bryan The Tomcat and V23 are different boats so they have different wakes, both are good but different shapes. Sorry Trace I was stoked to go hit the wake, a camera was the last thing on my mind.
Old    stereor102            07-26-2006, 4:15 PM Reply   
Upload
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       07-26-2006, 4:58 PM Reply   
I did not like this boat when I first saw it but after seeing the Orange one..I must say...I think it is growing on me really fast.
Old     (tonality)      Join Date: Mar 2005       07-26-2006, 5:53 PM Reply   
wow, thank God they fixed that trailer! the Ziemann rear bunks were a pretty bad design, with that angle putting so much pressure on the welds...I actually had mine break and welded a reinforced back support in when i put them back together, but it looks like these may be less susceptible to that pressure.

Man, i like this boat more every day. I'd kill to see a blacked out one...
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-26-2006, 6:20 PM Reply   
how 'bout grey?

Upload
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-26-2006, 6:24 PM Reply   
how in the world did you photochop that so quick?
Old     (antbug)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-26-2006, 6:30 PM Reply   
damn still no pics of the wake .... Makes you wonder if it's any good
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-26-2006, 6:38 PM Reply   
Seriously, has a boat manufacturer EVER had an add endorsing the wake and showing a legit picture of it? I know centurion probably has one for wakesurfing, but thats all I can think of. Even with the "new company" it was like pulling teeth to get a picture of the wake. You would think SOMEONE would get a clue.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-26-2006, 6:39 PM Reply   
bug, it really does make one wonder...
Old     (antbug)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-26-2006, 7:09 PM Reply   
Matt, The "new company" you are talking about is Epic....right? Well if that's who you are talking about I posted pics of the prototype boat wake almost, if not, more than a year ago. Chris Anthony was totally cool with me posting wake pics, he just didn't want me posting pics of the hull and other features that were just introduced. So I have to disagree. Epic is proud of the wake that the 23v produces, unlike other companies. I can't believe that MB doesn't have a pic or anyone else that has been in or behind this boat. It's like Cobe and everyone at MB is saying "no camera's" or "don't post a pic". If this is the boat that is going to change the industry or whatever they are claiming....PUT UP OR SHUT UP!
Old     (tonality)      Join Date: Mar 2005       07-26-2006, 7:28 PM Reply   
grey works...pretty slick

Nice chop!

Why is everyone so worried about pics of the wake? It's not like it's going to be some radically huge new shape or size or anything, and pics have *never* done a wake justice. Like...never. I'm just itching to ride it for myself!
Old     (pdxviperguy)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-26-2006, 7:38 PM Reply   
guys, if you read above I have ridden behind it and everyone is right pics do not do the wake justice. I look at it this way if the pros can do what they do behind this boat and go big we as amateurs and recreational riders should be fine. Am I wrong there? I saw some of the biggest air I have seen since wakeboarding started by a 19 year old kid behind a non team b52 with the tanks half full. It's more about the quality of rider than the boat.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-26-2006, 7:57 PM Reply   
sure pics might not do it justice, but we can all distinguish whether the wake is clean or not and whether it's big or not if the rider's next to it. for example, here's a wake pic from an x-2, with a 6' rider next to it at 75' goin' about 23ish mph. it's safe to say this wake is nice!

Upload

so what's up? no one can post a pic like this?
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       07-26-2006, 8:02 PM Reply   
I thought you were kinda new to the game, Bryan? Have you ridden many different wakes? You would probably be very surprised at the skill level of some people who post here. We're not all amateurs that can't make use of a big wake.

Anyways, someone please take one pic and post it fer godssakes!! ;)
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-26-2006, 8:27 PM Reply   

quote:

I look at it this way if the pros can do what they do behind this boat and go big we as amateurs and recreational riders should be fine.

uh, there's a reason why they're called "pros." it's because they can do it behind any boat. pop in the mayday video and you'll see pros riding w/ the rope tied to the ski pole and the boats not having humongous wakes.
Old    alanp            07-26-2006, 9:01 PM Reply   
good point joe. i used to ride with travis probst, who's a pro now, when we both lived in virginia. i had a runabout at the time and the kid was just plain sick. he threw more tricks off my miserable wake than most people ever hope to off their 50k boats.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-26-2006, 9:23 PM Reply   

quote:

so what's up? no one can post a pic like this?

GOOD LUCK.....
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       07-26-2006, 9:28 PM Reply   
All I know is when I had my Pro V I would sometimes not even fill the balast and I had a guy who would get 6-7 feet or more in the air without even trying...also go 8-10 feet out in the flats...I have been to many lakes and seen some good riders but I have not seen one person go as big as this guy and I guarentee they had lots more balast and the wake had to be bigger.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-26-2006, 10:36 PM Reply   
Big wakes = more fun. If I am going to drop coin on a boat, the wake WILL be bigger and/or better than my current setup, otherwise I am not interested. But that is me and my madness.

ANT, I was unaware of a specific wake pic that you mention, but I am sure I just missed it. I have heard a lot of good things from people who have ridden behind that boat though; and I cant wait to see one/ride one.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-27-2006, 11:48 AM Reply   
big ed, from the looks of things, i don't think it's gonna happen either.
Old     (antbug)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-29-2006, 9:38 PM Reply   
So this thread dies with a pic of an unbeatable wake huh?
Old     (gerryaws)      Join Date: Sep 2004       07-31-2006, 10:14 AM Reply   
These came off a camera phone, they were taken lst Saturday morning behind the Tomcat. I'll see if there are any better pics.Upload
Old     (buguru)      Join Date: Feb 2006       07-31-2006, 10:33 AM Reply   
Ok this company is famous for taking all the other boats ideas and putting it into there boat. M/C font end, C/C transom, Bu billet dash and reverse tower of Bu. Come on MB thing of something of your own.....
Old     (pdxviperguy)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-31-2006, 10:35 AM Reply   
some of the most successful companies in the world are those that let others spend the R&D money and then slightly twek a sucessful idea and market it effectively. Hey, call them what you will but they obviously have a good system worked out.
Old     (antbug)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-31-2006, 10:37 AM Reply   
Gerry ~ Thank you for the pic. Please see if you can get something a little better. At least we now see something.
Old     (buguru)      Join Date: Feb 2006       07-31-2006, 10:41 AM Reply   
PDX. Don't get me wrong MB has some cool features, but they all seem to come from someone else. From a boat Manuf. that only built 190 boat n 03 and only 216 in 04.
Old     (pdxviperguy)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-31-2006, 11:06 AM Reply   
they do have cool features and honesetly, i know there is more glory and originality inyour own concepts and ideas but if you can let someone else make the errors and then perfect them hey, why not.
Old    bocephus            07-31-2006, 11:14 AM Reply   
I don't know anything about wakes, but is it me or is that super wide?

(Message edited by bocephus on July 31, 2006)
Old     (pittsy)      Join Date: Apr 2004       07-31-2006, 11:38 AM Reply   
the picture of the Ford F-650 Truck and the Tomcat, i saw it at the Reno Pro Tour event..i must say this boat looks really wierd..what is up with the extra 1.5 feet in the front?
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       07-31-2006, 11:51 AM Reply   
Yep I saw it too.

I thought the boat was quite unattractive in person. The pickle fork is all wasted space.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-31-2006, 5:32 PM Reply   
That pic is so blurry,it looks like the golden retriever pic that somebody posted like a year ago.

Thanks for the pic but I still can't see crap!
Old     (mitchj)      Join Date: Aug 2002       07-31-2006, 5:48 PM Reply   
Big Ed Why?
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-31-2006, 6:06 PM Reply   
Why what??
Old     (attila916)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-31-2006, 10:44 PM Reply   
200+ posts and not a single clean wake pic

Come on... nobody owns a camera?
Old     (madchild1)      Join Date: Mar 2005       08-01-2006, 9:44 AM Reply   
i saw the orange tomcat on shasta last week, it's a pretty sweet boat.
Old     (scratch_films)      Join Date: Mar 2006       08-01-2006, 10:31 AM Reply   
Just try the wake. It's perfect. Who cares what it looks like?
Old     (habcaw_creek)      Join Date: Mar 2005       08-01-2006, 12:58 PM Reply   
I think this boats sick. I love the bow and the idea of a boat having the surface area of a 21 ft boat (better handling, and easier to sink with less ballast) but the space of a 23 ft boat. Also, boats have been around for a while, its hard to make something unique/original and functionable. Now that i say that, just look at the thing, it is original. The bow, the whole transom, tower, dash, and the forks are noticibly different from the xstar.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       08-01-2006, 1:23 PM Reply   
"Just try the wake. It's perfect. Who cares what it looks like?"

Have you ever ridden a wake that looked sucky, and ended up being sweet once you hit it?

Not I.

If it smells like shiat......
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-01-2006, 1:54 PM Reply   
Super Air wakes don't look that great on camera, but once you hit them they feel 10 times better than they look. The new X-2 wake looks horrible on camera, but I heard its not to shabby from the people that ride them. Taking wake pics is really hard to do too. That picture that Joe Umali posted of the old X-2 look salmost exactly like what it does in person. Here are a couple pics of us riding behind the Epic a few months ago, the wake is totally legit, but as you can see the pics "don't do it justice."
Old     (goodwin)      Join Date: Feb 2006       08-01-2006, 1:58 PM Reply   
The MB website, http://www.mbsports.net/, has some updates on the F23 Tomcat and a cool vid.
"This boat surpasses all models that are produced right now" Yikes!
This quote from Mike Brendel will have all other boat owners, especially the standard three (MC,Bu,CC), screamin bullcaca
Please continue with the bashing....
Old     (jaubrey)      Join Date: Feb 2003       08-01-2006, 2:10 PM Reply   
Browny,

I hope it has a unbelievable wake because its hideous!
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-01-2006, 2:17 PM Reply   
still not much about the wake....

notice the first word..

WAKE boat

So what about the wake?
Old     (ktmwakeboarder)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-01-2006, 4:34 PM Reply   
this is hilarious
Old     (magellan)      Join Date: Feb 2003       08-01-2006, 5:29 PM Reply   
Anyone on here like nachos as much as I do?
Old     (dr_inc)      Join Date: Mar 2005       08-01-2006, 5:40 PM Reply   
mmmmm nachos.....extra cheese is the only way to go
i hate it when you run outa cheese.. then your eating plain chips or scraping the side of the plastic dish that costs you 5 bucks at an A's game

o ya the boat.... it still looks like a rocket that Willie Coyote would ride on when hes chasing the road runner....all it needs is ACME written on the side...<(BEEP BEEP)
Old    flyhigh916            08-03-2006, 1:07 AM Reply   
I just saw this boat on folsom today, and I might say its much more pleasing in person. Although it did look a bit cluttered. Now, more importantly, the wake did look pretty bad ass. I got plenty of angles looking at it, and it was VERY tall, and appeared very rampy. Overall, looks like a nice product.
Old     (greenpinky)      Join Date: Apr 2004       08-03-2006, 4:57 AM Reply   
But no pics, Steve? Man, this boat is like the polk-a-roo.
Old    flyhigh916            08-03-2006, 4:49 PM Reply   
I saw bigfoot at folsom too. Damn, no camera.
Old     (dr_inc)      Join Date: Mar 2005       08-03-2006, 5:02 PM Reply   
Its like WHERES WALDO???
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       08-03-2006, 7:35 PM Reply   
Since we have been blasting this boat for a while now, I just noticed something else - The stereo is on the driver's right side, no one else can get to it without crawling all over the driver. Bad idea, IMO. It is hard enough to drive, without trying to find everyone's favorite song. That should be a passenger's job, the driver should be looking at the rider and the lake.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-04-2006, 2:17 AM Reply   

Upload
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-04-2006, 7:18 AM Reply   
All MB's have the stereo on the right side of the steering wheel. I like it a lot, then again I like being in control of the stereo. For the parents that are buying an MB for the fam, I run a Y cable to the glove box with a 6' extension so that people in the boat can pass around iPods and select their music, that way dad isn't being hassled about music selection. For the younger guys buying boats for themselves and their friends I usually throw in the Harmon Kardon Drive + Play.

Joe, did you get a chance to check the boat out? I am pretty excited, I have 2 coming in 2 weeks.

Drive + Play
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (antbug)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-04-2006, 7:53 AM Reply   
Joe ~ I know you have some wake pics ! Why are you not posting them ?
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       08-04-2006, 8:20 AM Reply   
Screw the Tomcat wake, I wanna see more tiny pics of the dash of that B52!!
Old     (gerryaws)      Join Date: Sep 2004       08-04-2006, 3:05 PM Reply   
Stock Ballast and two people

Upload
Old     (gerryaws)      Join Date: Sep 2004       08-04-2006, 3:06 PM Reply   
Upload
Old     (pdxviperguy)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-04-2006, 3:11 PM Reply   
Gerry you are going to be receiving praise far and wide as people have been freaking out to see wake pics. Thanks for putting them up.
Old    stereor102            08-04-2006, 3:18 PM Reply   
looks really good!!
Old     (gerryaws)      Join Date: Sep 2004       08-04-2006, 3:35 PM Reply   
Upload
Old     (seanmcd)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-04-2006, 4:57 PM Reply   
The Dash??? Screw the dash, how about some more pics of the "Chicks" in the MB?? Who is the girl is the middle of the boat? Damn.

Sean
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       08-04-2006, 7:26 PM Reply   
Although there's no scale reference, that looks really good for stock + 2 ppl. Nice shape too, looks like it'll be easy to keep clean.
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       08-05-2006, 10:34 AM Reply   
It might be an optical illusion, but it looks like those wake pics are taken while making a slight curve. Was the wake clean when going straight? Just look at the bubble trail.

It might be a combination of the camera being on the side of the boat and a narrow channel, but it looks like the boat is not traveling in a straight line (the way I like to wakeboard).

(Message edited by talltigeguy on August 05, 2006)
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-05-2006, 12:10 PM Reply   
how's this? rider is about 5'3"-5'4", stock ballast, 8 people in the boat (comfortably), 75' rope (including handle), goin' about 23mph.

Upload

(Message edited by dakid on August 05, 2006)
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       08-05-2006, 1:22 PM Reply   
Joe what boat is she riding behind?
Old     (redv215)      Join Date: Mar 2005       08-05-2006, 3:38 PM Reply   
Think about it Dan....DUH
Old     (attila916)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-05-2006, 4:07 PM Reply   
Tate
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       08-05-2006, 4:35 PM Reply   
So what do you think of it, Joe?