Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-07-2009, 1:27 PM Reply   
Hello All,
I got a new 09 Walker Bullet, and I am looking at traction pads for the deck, and to be honest I am totally overwhelmed by the amount of options! I like having a kick tail, but some have arch supports and some are larger. What is the arch support or raised bar for? Does anyone have a bullet and traction set they like? I like
these http://www.xtrak.com

Duffy
Old    lakeside5_10            01-07-2009, 1:34 PM Reply   
xtrak will be out with a surf edition pads in a couple of weeks as i was told , i hope they show up with something at surf expo next week
Old     (wakesurf_ohio)      Join Date: Jun 2007       01-07-2009, 1:47 PM Reply   
James and I both have Astro Deck Beaker tail pads then various archbars/decking for the front on our bullets
Upload

(Message edited by wakesurf_ohio on January 07, 2009)

(Message edited by wakesurf_ohio on January 07, 2009)
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-07-2009, 3:17 PM Reply   
So do you like the raised bar in the kick tail? Do you think it provides more support or grip or board feel? I don't want to make a mistake and spend hours apon hours peeling residue.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-07-2009, 3:18 PM Reply   
What fins are you rocking on your bullet?
Old    surfdad            01-07-2009, 3:41 PM Reply   
Hey Duffy, did you get futures boxes installed? If so, check the futures fin selection guide for mushy conditions, here.

The Scimitars or VF 3/2/1's with the exaggerated cant give tons of drive in our small waves, but also break loose freely. They are odd looking and quite deep at 4.5 inches, but that cant also allows them to "fail" when you want them to to slide the tail. My buddy Dennis routinely lands surface threes on his 5'+ bullet.

James rode the Scimitars for a long time, but recently switched over to the 3/2/1's.

Scim's in this picture:

Upload
Old     (wakesurf_ohio)      Join Date: Jun 2007       01-07-2009, 4:59 PM Reply   
I prefer the arch in the kickpad. The Composite X ( the hot pink board beside my bullet) doesn't have an arch in the back and I don't like the feel as much, seems to slip off easier. I either use Scimitars or 437's, but generally stick to Scimitars. Do you have pics of your new ride or did you just order it?
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-07-2009, 8:12 PM Reply   
Has anyone used the xtrax hammer? Here is a link
http://www.xtrakstore.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=115

I just got it, but it's an 09 so it has 3 fins and it has a basic flame on the bottom. Looks sweet though
Duffy
Old     (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       01-08-2009, 7:26 PM Reply   
IMO Freak has without a doubt the best traction on the market right now. It's super grippy, soft, ultra-thin and almost light as air. I previously rode Astrodeck almost exclusively for over a decade and there really is no comparison.

21" archbar? 31" archbar? 42" archbar? They've got something to suit every style of riding/ board. Their "Rockstar" Pad (comes with 42" archbar) with either a "Gripper" or "Quatro" is the ideal traction set-up for wakesurfing.

BTW- I have absolutely no affiliation with Freak other than having a few friends that ride for them (have friends who ride for Astrodeck, Gorilla Grip & OAM too though) I also have other friends who would rather pay for a Freak setup than get something else for free (myself included)

(Message edited by CAskimmer on January 08, 2009)
Old     (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       01-08-2009, 8:00 PM Reply   
another good thing about Freak pads is you're riding 3mm closer to the board with them (2mm vs 5mm) giving you better control.
Old    lakeside5_10            01-09-2009, 5:38 AM Reply   
wardo.
cool pads , but they need a better way to purchase their product , its all about wanting to buy products right now and not on a p.o.
Old     (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       01-09-2009, 9:01 AM Reply   
Here's the largest selection of Freak pads currently on the internet. Looks like their out of the back pad/archbar combo-pack though. (thought it was the Rockstar but isn't)
http://www.skimcity.com/store/home.php?cat=3977

Also Skimshop has their own pads made that are essentially Astrodeck pads with a different pattern and cheaper. (made in same overseas factory)
http://skimshop.com/customer/product.php?productid=20076&cat=0&page=

(Message edited by CAskimmer on January 09, 2009)
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-09-2009, 10:13 AM Reply   
I actually bought a xtrak pad set, it looks very similar to the white bullet in the picture above. What size bullet is that? Mine is a 4.6 and I weight between 165-170 and I am afraid the board might be to small? I got it for christmas, so I didn't really get to pick, but I tend to surf smaller boards in general. I can't really find a size chart for Walker? Hey guys anyone have a thought on size?

Duffy
Old    lakeside5_10            01-09-2009, 10:15 AM Reply   
i think you will be fine ,
Old     (wakesurf_ohio)      Join Date: Jun 2007       01-09-2009, 10:34 AM Reply   
My (the white) bullet is a 4.5.. you'll be fine.
I would imagine Corey is above your weight and he can still ride well on it.
Upload
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-09-2009, 2:30 PM Reply   
Rob how big are you? Nice air!
Duffy
Old     (wakesurf_ohio)      Join Date: Jun 2007       01-09-2009, 2:41 PM Reply   
Thats Corey (duckdiver)
I'm 155-165
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-10-2009, 9:53 AM Reply   
Surfdad,
My bullet has a rear fin, and I bought the 3/2/1 fin set, is the rear hatchet fin the right fin? From the info on their site it sounds pretty crazy. Fin theory is way way way over my head!
Duffy
Old    surfdad            01-10-2009, 8:15 PM Reply   
Hey Duffy,

The 3/2/1's are wild. They are a bit slower than the scimitars, but have more squirt. That hatchet fin is HUGE! You'll most likely ditch the trailer altogether. The thrusters sets for the scimitars and vf 3/2/1's all come with that hatchet trailer.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-12-2009, 12:32 PM Reply   
Should I get a plug for the rear fin? Will having it empty cause some drag? Do they sell future fin plugs? It's pretty crazy to think about all this fin theory! Why does your sons walker board have the smaller fins next to the big fins?
Old    surfdad            01-12-2009, 1:12 PM Reply   
The drag associated with an empty fin box is so negligible that it's not worth bothering with. You may see them on the Inland's, but that's because the fins mount from the top and the screw hole through the board, if left open, would pump water up and onto the rider :-)

I don't think I've ever seen a plug for a futures fin, but you could take a cheap trailer and cut it flush with the board and that would do the trick. We've ridden with empty fin boxes and honestly I can't tell.

The fin pod on James board is a mix between a Rusty C-5 and a Twinzer. It most closely resembles a Rusty C-5, without the trailer.

In theory, the small canards promote water attachment to the outside of the fin. They also add some additional fin area, without increasing the fin base, and thusly, the turning radius as would happen with a full quad.

The increase in water attachment gives that fin pod more "squirt" (think acceleration as opposed to top speed). This allowed James to boost in a shorter distance, basically generating his top speed in one pump, as opposed to what might take other riders several pumps.

This picture of James from the Texas contest gives an idea where he was launching from...the "splash" that is visible is a little elongated due to the motion, but he's pretty far back on the pocket.

In contest situations where the wake isn't adjusted, this fin arrangement works well in a short effective pocket length, and only gives up a little for longer pockets with a solid lip forward, where more fin area and a longer pod would give a higher speed.

Upload
Old    lakeside5_10            01-12-2009, 1:43 PM Reply   
ohh , like a bidet, if you leave the plugs out
Old    surfdad            01-12-2009, 1:51 PM Reply   
LOL
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-12-2009, 1:55 PM Reply   
Your one madd genius fin theory guru! I bet you could have business cards made for it:-) Thanks for all your help, I got the fins today and they are crazy looking!
Duffy
Old    surfdad            01-12-2009, 2:30 PM Reply   
Thanks Duffy, I'm glad I was able to help. The 3/2/1's are wild looking that's for sure.

Some picture's from our first test of them, here

The fins and notice how James is projecting into the flats and the angle as he leans into the bottom turn.

Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (hawaj)      Join Date: Aug 2005       01-15-2009, 5:27 AM Reply   
Che Bob and ... Obama, just modern icons

http://www.xtrakstore.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=112
Old     (santa_barb)      Join Date: Jan 2009       01-19-2009, 10:08 AM Reply   
X-Trak makes pads for freak. same materials just different pad designs.
Old     (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       01-19-2009, 12:30 PM Reply   
Yeah, but the pad's contour pattern is the most important aspect of a pad. Freak's pattern feels like a thin comfortable layer of suction cups on the board.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-25-2009, 3:45 PM Reply   
Rob,
How far back is your kick tail?
Duffy
Old     (wakesurf_ohio)      Join Date: Jun 2007       01-25-2009, 3:59 PM Reply   
Close to the edge..maybe 1-1.5 inches? I ride really wide and its better for it to be too far back than too far forward.
Old    lakeside5_10            01-25-2009, 5:07 PM Reply   
i submitted a front pad design to xtrak on friday to make for me it will have a 2" arch bar in the center and 15"long., at back is 15" and tapers to 12" on front. front has a diamond taper with removable sections on sides of 1.5" and 6" up from the rear. will post pic tomm.
Old     (riverrunner)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-25-2009, 6:00 PM Reply   
Curious, as to how much they will charge you to tool up on your design?
Old    lakeside5_10            01-26-2009, 3:39 AM Reply   
will know this week