Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through February 21, 2008

Old     (themxercr85)      Join Date: Jul 2007       01-17-2008, 4:08 PM Reply   
Hey so I really want to upgrade to either the 3 some, 2 485's, or maybe the double up. My question is how will the tower handle with 2 485's on it? I currently have 4 stock JL's and its a bit shaky it chop. And same with the 3 some, how would it do? I dont think I would have much of a problem with the double up, its not that heavy is it? and which would you recommend?

Thanx
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       01-17-2008, 4:49 PM Reply   
Twitch,

I know that MC added some support braces for those towers so that might be something to look into as well. We have had customers do all variations on that tower.

Lightest would be the Double Up. You can also order the MC mounts so they bolt right up to the factory locations. Pair of 485's would have to go on the bar and not use the factory disc mounts. We have had many people do this and some of the dealers are adding LED's to the discs to light the top of the speakers and make use of the discs so they are not just sitting there. You could also do a pair of the 80MC on the factory mounts and the 485 in the center on the bar to make your 3-Some. The TSR X Star has a pair of 80MC and pair of 60MC on their boat and it looks and sounds great.

You can take a look at our site and see a bunch of MC with different set ups.

E Mail me if you have any questions.

Tim
Wet Sounds
twhite@wetsounds.com
Old     (joshbuzz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       01-17-2008, 6:26 PM Reply   
actually, MC hasn't made any braces for the X-Star or X-80 as of yet. all the other models with towers come with the option of tower braces. not sure why they haven't thrown a pair out for the X-Star yet, but the X-Star's what needs it most! I've got a buddy with an 07 X-Star with 4 wetsounds on top, and it shakes like a mofo. the flex shouldn't be to detrimental though, so i wouldn't worry about it! I'm pretty sure the tower should be covered under warranty on your 07 though, not totally sure!!
Old     (themxercr85)      Join Date: Jul 2007       01-17-2008, 10:38 PM Reply   
Thanx a lot guys, so I hear that the 485's and the double up produce the most thump or bass, is this true of the 485's? and does having more bass on the tower make it sound better when your riding? and are the 485's pretty heavy? they look big and look like the tower would shake side to side a lot?

thanx
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       01-18-2008, 7:45 AM Reply   
It really depends on the tower. I have a pair of 485's and pair of 60's on my RZ4 and the tower is rock solid. But my old MB had a pair of 485's and pair of 80's and that tower had some sway.

The 485's will have the most overall output and most mid bass. The Double Up is a nice 3 way set up with less output but a balanced sound. The 485 pair would be about 60 pounds for the pair and the Double Up would be about 36 pounds.

Tim
Wet Sounds
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       01-18-2008, 7:57 AM Reply   
I can't see why a tower brace would be necessary. We run double up contests in our Xstar with NVS 1010s, and while is does sway, it's never caused a incendent.

If we can't break the tower in those conditions, I don't think there's anything to worry about.
Old     (mcwakerider)      Join Date: Dec 2006       01-18-2008, 8:34 AM Reply   
^^^^

yeah... especially since the double ups coming off the bonecrusher arent your normal everday double ups lol
Old     (ponyh8r)      Join Date: Dec 2004       01-18-2008, 10:25 AM Reply   
I have two 485's on my 06' x-star and I have never had a single problem with tower flex.
Old     (themxercr85)      Join Date: Jul 2007       01-18-2008, 3:28 PM Reply   
Sweet guys thanx a lot, so i guess its down to how much do I feel like dishing out, cause it seems like 485's which are the heaviest will do fine. Thanx for your input.
Old     (roughrivermike)      Join Date: Apr 2006       01-21-2008, 5:32 AM Reply   
Tower braces will be available for the Xstar soon. They have retooled the braces and they look much better than the origional ones that came out last year. I do think that they would get in the way of pro80's on the outside mounts though. pro 60's would probably fit just fine.
Old     (themxercr85)      Join Date: Jul 2007       01-21-2008, 12:37 PM Reply   
Thanks, are there any pics of the new ones? I've seen the first ones that they offered last year but didnt fit an x-star. They didnt look that bad but they didnt look great.
Old     (absoluteboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       01-21-2008, 1:14 PM Reply   
........at the show I was talking to the mastercraft rep and asked what was up with those braces?......His answer was..."did you ever weigh those speakers....do you know how heavy they are?"...that was on an x-15

.......take that for what its worth.
Old     (joshbuzz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       01-21-2008, 2:27 PM Reply   
Mike, when do you think those braces will be in, and whats your opinion on em?? I was at the shop this weekend, and as of then, still no braces for the Stars. We put a pair of the 08 braces on an X-2 last week, and I'm still not a fan of them at all. they look goofy, and get in the way. we put braces on the PS197 mini tower for 08 to, and there is no head room what so ever. not to sure what's goin on over at MC R&D!

New braces do look better than last years for sure though!