Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 04, 2003

Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-31-2003, 4:25 PM Reply   
I'm looking for a detachable connector to put in the speaker wire down by the rear tower leg where it bolts onto the hull. The idea being that I will occasionally have to remove the tower & speakers from the boat.
I've seen the plastic MIL spec connectors that Boss uses, but had issues with them. Bulky, capable of many more pairs than I need, and frankly not very durable (a buddy had one shatter not long ago).
Thanks....
--
Bill - bill@airjunky.com
http://airjunky.com
Old    charlie            07-31-2003, 6:23 PM Reply   
I used a flushmount 5 pole watertight marine connector. It comes with a watertight cap when you want to run w/o the tower on. There are two kinds. The one I have is right angle for side mount, which is the one shown, the other is straight for top mounting. The base Bolts onto the boat with stainless hardware and a rubber washer. The conector (top half) disconnects instantly by unlocking the clip and pulling the connector up and off. Really quite strong. Available from West Marine.

(Message edited by charlie on July 31, 2003)
Old    swass            07-31-2003, 7:47 PM Reply   
Charlie, where'd you get the rubber grommets for the holes in the tower?
Old    charlie            08-01-2003, 12:31 AM Reply   
Swass, I believe I picked up the ones I used at the electrical department at orchard supply, but radio shack or frys should also have grommets. Just make sure to check the grommet hole size so you drill exactly for the grommet used. Also, if you go to orchard supply hardware you could pick up about a foot or so of waterproof 3 conductor flexible black electrical cord the same relative diameter as the plug has. You are not really after the wire, just the outer sheath. I put my exposed wire in it because it is rugged, waterproof and weather resistant. Carefully pull out the wires until all that is left is the undamaged outer rubber sheath. If you slide the exposed speaker wires into this sheath the plug will clamp around the sheath with the wires in it and seal it water tight. The sheathing also creates a perfectly round fit into the grommet, so water just isn't going to get in. Anyway, thats how I did mine.
Old     (blastmaster)      Join Date: Aug 2001       08-01-2003, 7:55 AM Reply   
here the link for what you want, I got them at local electronics store for $15 for the 9 pin connector with wire strain releaifs and outside braiding material.http://www.russellind.com/Russell/connect/main.htm