Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 04, 2003

Old     (cas)      Join Date: Jul 2003       07-31-2003, 2:20 AM Reply   
Hi!

I am a totally newbie to wakeboarding, but I think it is really cool.

I tried it for the first time 3 days ago. I had some small difficulties getting out of the water but after 3 attemps I succeded. Once I was up, it felt great. After just a coulpe of meters (I am from Denmark, we use metrics :-) ) I started to go both healside and toeside (I think it is called that) between the wakes. Then after a while I fell. Then up again and this time I wanted to go over the wake. I succeded the first time Yeahhh. I even got a small amount of air between the board and the water. Theres is only on thing to say. I AM HOOKED ON WAKEBOARDING. I got so hooked that yesterday I went out and bought a Hyperlite Belmont 141 with Belmont bindings. I know it is alot of money to spend from the beginning but I tried it yesterday and I think it is worth the money.

I have a couple of questions:
- What tricks should you start with? And how do you perform them
- Is there any difference between an ollie and a bunny?

Br
Cas

(Message edited by cas on July 31, 2003)
Old     (laptom)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-31-2003, 7:38 AM Reply   
As far as I know is a Bunny Hop and an Ollie the same..
The first trick you can do is to wave at the boat and say "Hello world".
The next is try to jump a wake or wake 2 wake... And try to make an ollie (180).

If you learn these this summer in a lot solid way. You're on the wright way... Have fun with it and if you need a pull in The Netherlands, mail me!!!

Cheers Tommy
Old     (cas)      Join Date: Jul 2003       07-31-2003, 8:03 AM Reply   
Thanks! I managed to make my first small jump, my first ollie and my first slide today. I love this sport :-)
Old     (aneal000)      Join Date: Feb 2002       07-31-2003, 8:30 AM Reply   
wakeboarding is cool

your addiction only gets worse and the feeling only gets better (until you do a faceplant)

wake to wake jumps and 180s then go for the raleys and mobes :-)
Old     (paulsmith)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-31-2003, 8:33 AM Reply   
Casper is oozing stoke. Very cool. Welcome to the club, Casper!
Old    krissi            07-31-2003, 9:47 AM Reply   
Ah faceplants. I did three of them one day and let me tell ya, the next day my neck hurt like hell! But one of the faceplants I could have prevented. When the boat was turning I wasen't paying attention and the bored turned under me...and I went down.
Old    wakeboardjo            07-31-2003, 10:05 AM Reply   
you didnt really try unless your neck hurts the next day!

I would suggest learning to ride switch( the opposite way you ride normally ) early on because you won't want to mess with it earlier. It sounds like you have some skating background or something also because your adapting so quick; if that is the case riding switch shouldn't be a big problem for you.
Old    demi_barbito            07-31-2003, 10:36 AM Reply   
I did my first faceplant a few days ago.

WORST EVER!!!

But I was up again in about 2 minutes.

It was my third time out and I was carving and jumping the wake.

Things get more "kinetic" each time.

Demi
Old     (skurfer666)      Join Date: Jun 2002       07-31-2003, 11:41 AM Reply   
I think with a bunny hop you just jump up and with an ollie you push down with your back foot, lift up with your front foot and level out like in skating. The two definitely feel different when you do them and an ollie, when done right, will pop you up higher. But then again this wakeboarding and trick names always seem to be a little backwards to me.
Old    wakeninja            07-31-2003, 12:39 PM Reply   
im pretty sure a bunny hop is done on a wakeboard and an ollie is done on a wakeskate, its an ollie because u have to pop the board up, it isnt attached to ur feet like in wakeboarding
Old     (cas)      Join Date: Jul 2003       07-31-2003, 1:32 PM Reply   
Hi!

Thanks for all your answers.

I tried a faceplant the first time I was out. But I don't think that is worse than falling on a snowboard.

I skated 15 years ago and tried snowboarding two times, but I can feel that the skating feeling still hangs on.

I think I will try to go for the opposite way tomorrow. And then practice jumping again.

Wakeboarding is the life.
Old    buttacup            07-31-2003, 4:48 PM Reply   
How could you try a faceplant??? LOL. Sorry but those are not supposed to happen. I've taken many hard falls, I don't know which stings worse, falling on the side of my face or the faceplanting. Either way I usually get up and start riding again.
Old     (cas)      Join Date: Jul 2003       08-01-2003, 12:14 AM Reply   
Isn't a faceplant when you hit the water with your face first
Old     (salty87)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-01-2003, 2:26 PM Reply   
you got it. i think lynsey was saying a faceplant is one trick you don't try to work on, it works on you
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       08-01-2003, 8:27 PM Reply   
ollies are bindingless, bunnyhops are done with bindings (which means you can only ollie on a skateboard or a wakeskate). Have fun ridin'...