Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 21, 2006

Old     (dudeman)      Join Date: Mar 2005       04-06-2006, 8:40 AM Reply   
Looking to install a new sub and was wondering if anyone had either the ALPINE SWR-1242D 12" Sub Type R or the POLK AUDIO MOMO MM2124DVC 12" DVC installed and what your opinions were. Thanks.
Old     (akdoc)      Join Date: Feb 2004       04-06-2006, 9:16 AM Reply   
Go to www.caraudio.com and look at their forum. They have great threads about the type R. I would go type R.
Old     (dudeman)      Join Date: Mar 2005       04-06-2006, 11:15 AM Reply   
Thanks KJ
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       04-06-2006, 11:57 PM Reply   
I have the alpine 1242D type R subs (two in the boat and one in my convertible). They are good for the money but not comparable to a JL W7. To really compare subs you need to have the xmax ratings. It comes down to displacement that is a component of area x xmax.
Old     (dudeman)      Join Date: Mar 2005       04-07-2006, 3:01 AM Reply   
Thanks mikeski. I think I saw one of your posts that said you are running Hifonics amps. If you are, what amp are you pushing the alpine with? I guess which model would you push just one with? Thanks.
Old     (wetsoundspro)      Join Date: Mar 2006       04-07-2006, 7:11 AM Reply   
Randy,

I use to be a manufacturer's rep for Alpine. I can tell you, their Type R woofer is amazing. In the field, we hardly saw any come back that were blown.

I don't know enough on the Polk woofer so I can't really draw up a valid opinion to compare. All I can tell you about is my experience with Alpine.

I hope that this helps.

Dale
Old     (dudeman)      Join Date: Mar 2005       04-07-2006, 7:24 AM Reply   
Thanks Dale. I'm stereo and electrical stupid but am trying to learn. Would I hook that to an amp that would push 500 watts on 1 channel @ 4 ohms wired parallel on the sub to create 2 ohms or am I way off?
Old     (wetsoundspro)      Join Date: Mar 2006       04-07-2006, 7:39 AM Reply   
Depending on how many you want to use. If you are using one then you would wire the DVC to give you 2 ohms. Most "mono" amplifiers are ClassD. Those amps will handle 2 ohms mono and in some cases, 1 ohm.

If you are going to do two then you have a couple of options... you can wire it in stereo on a two channel amp at which point you would be running 2 ohm stereo, which personally I don't think is the best choice.

You can run them in series and achieve 4 ohms. Then you would run that on a typical Class A/B amplifier running "bridged" to achieve 4 ohm mono, which I still probably wouldn't do that because A/B amps are not as effecient as Class D and they draw more current which in a boat is crucial to consider.

The third option, which would be my preference, is to find the class D amps that are stable to 1 ohm mono. There are many of them out there. Massive Audio, Memphis, Orion, etc...

Again, I hope that this helps. If you are running more than two let me know and we can re-evaluate your application.

Dale
Old     (dudeman)      Join Date: Mar 2005       04-07-2006, 7:47 AM Reply   
Dale, I am only going to run the one sub. I have been looking at Hifonics and Orion amps. How would I wire that to 1 ohm mono. Any advice or website filled with info is greatly appreciated. It is definitely a plus talking to someone that used to be a rep for Alpine.
Old     (wetsoundspro)      Join Date: Mar 2006       04-07-2006, 8:06 AM Reply   
Randy,

If you run one, you won't be able to achieve 1 ohms. My suggestion is to find an amp that is optimized at 2ohms mono. Recommendations; Alpine, Massive Audio, MTX, JL, Arc Audio, and many more.

Let me know if you need anything else.

Dale
Old     (dudeman)      Join Date: Mar 2005       04-07-2006, 8:53 AM Reply   
Thanks for everyones help. I'll look for a mono amp, 500 watts @ 2 ohms.