Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 04, 2003

Old    lagwagon            07-25-2003, 11:06 AM Reply   
How do I know if my eardrum is blown?
Old    aka Bradley Beach            07-25-2003, 11:16 AM Reply   
Does it hurt when you pee?
Old     (jeffr)      Join Date: May 2002       07-25-2003, 11:23 AM Reply   
Huh? Can you still hear? Trust me... if it was a blown ear drum you would know.
Old     (jinxton)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-25-2003, 11:32 AM Reply   
I thought I had water in my ear, so I put a few drop's of rubbing alcohol in it to get the water out. Boy you want to talk about pain, went right to the ER. To top it off the doctor's laughed at my story!!
Old     (yeah_bud)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-25-2003, 11:33 AM Reply   
If you blew your eadrum for the first time it would have hurt bigtime. You would have been dizzy and tasted a Garlicy kinda taste in the back of your throat. I also had a yellow/bloody fluid drain out of my ear during the night. Jeff if right, you would probably know it if you busted it.
Old    lagwagon            07-25-2003, 4:56 PM Reply   
Alright that's good news. This means I'll be able to ride for the rest of the summer, but I do enjoy garlic. mmm garlic
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       07-25-2003, 6:08 PM Reply   
I have blown my ear drums 4 times and never had puss come out or lost my sense of balance. So how do I know I blew them?? Well when air can pass through is a pretty good sign. Also it hurts like heck to talk or chew. Actually it just hurts all the time!

The last time I blew mine I lost 1/3 of my hearing in my left ear. Now I wear a helmet and have not had a problem since.
Old     (h20jnky)      Join Date: Mar 2003       07-25-2003, 6:17 PM Reply   
Kind of ironic the first time I blew my eardrum, I was actually wearing earplugs that were shoved (by tremendous pressure) down my ear canal where it punctured the drum.....

Don't wear those anymore and haven't had a problem since?
Old    moe            07-26-2003, 12:41 PM Reply   
i have done it twice,last time was march in fla. my ear drained for 2 weeks, the day it happened it felt like my whole head was in a bench vise. th E.R. wait reaally sucked! but I knew I wouldn't sleep all night anyway so I went in. Josh I know what that garlicky taste is like!
Old     (yeah_bud)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-26-2003, 2:09 PM Reply   
yeah I knew about that garlicky taste way too much. I busted my eardrum nearly 10 times. The first time it busted was a hard fall, after that it would just rebust when my head went under water. I took medicine and gave it all winter and the next summer I rode my ride never fell, let go and kicked my bindings off and my head went under water causing my eardrum to bust again. It never really hurt that bad except for the first time, which was terrible. It would just make horrible bubling sounds and the taste would come back. Anyhoo, 2 surgery's and a summer later I was back on the water. They had to do a fat patch, which is taking a graft of the fat off the back of my earlobe and patching the hole in my eardrum. (guess I had earlobe lipo) The problem was that the patch moved before healing so I had to do it all over again. 8 weeks off the water after each surgery. I was told that if you have a busted eardrum and you get some bad water in it, it could get infected and you would have serious problems. This was 2 summers ago I still have scary bubling sounds in that one ear when I go under water but the doc said that it would probably be like that for a while but everything is ok.
Old    wakeboardjo            07-27-2003, 11:21 PM Reply   
One of the guys I ride with busted his pretty bad on a fall, almost went unconcious and all. He rides with ear plugs now and doesn't have a problem with it.

I guess it all depends on your situation, definitely talk to a doctor though.
Old    sonicr1            08-04-2003, 9:25 AM Reply   
I just blew out my ear drum!!! I just bought a new board, hit the Delta and WAM!!! At first it was OK, I felt a little off balance, but it went away. I had dinner and hit the water again. Then on the way back in it started hurting SOOOOO bad!!! I couldn't see straight. When I went to the ER, the doc was like, yeah your ear drum is swollen. (What does that mean???) I ask, does that mean my eardrum is punctured, or am I OK... oh it's punctured... DAD GUMMIT!!!!!!