Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 04, 2003

Old    ssippiriverrat            07-29-2003, 10:33 AM Reply   
I am sure that some one has already asked and answered this but doesn't anyone know where some of the trick names came from and who named them?

Some are self-explanitory (backroll, 360, etc) but who came up with tantrum, raley, pete rose, mobius, etc?
Old     (wakeguru)      Join Date: Feb 2003       07-29-2003, 11:01 AM Reply   
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Air Raley is named after the guy who invented it and Byerly gets credit for the Pete Rose.
Not sure about the other 2. Wakeboard trivia anyone?
Old     (canaday)      Join Date: Dec 2002 Location: Hawthorne       07-29-2003, 11:26 AM Reply   
I think it's Chet Raley. A mobius is a shape where there is a circle and twist in it, so it only has one side and one edge.

http://www.mps.k12.nf.ca/mathematics/Grassroots/Mobius%20Strip/mobius3.htm will give you a little info on it. No idea on a tantrum.

(Message edited by canaday on July 29, 2003)

(Message edited by canaday on July 29, 2003)
Old    goose69            07-29-2003, 11:33 AM Reply   
Mostly the tricks where named by the person who landed them first. I think Gator was the first to do the Hoochie Glide and he named it that.
Old    shaggydan22            07-29-2003, 11:57 AM Reply   
I think Pete Rose(the person) always slide head first to a base, and when most people fall trying a pete rose they catch there nose and do a head first slide/plant. At least thats what i heard.
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       07-29-2003, 12:26 PM Reply   
Dan has it right on the pete rose.
The Hoochie Glide was named by Gator, and thats self explanitory.
Now the funny thing is, A mobius (or mobius strip) in mathimatical terms, has only a half twist in it, so whoever named the trick, didn't pay much attention in math class.
Basically, the first person to land the trick, gets to name it whatever they want, hence some of the stupid names. Like the switch front to blind, is the hasselhoff, thanks to Horrell.
Old     (mvda)      Join Date: Dec 2002       07-29-2003, 2:13 PM Reply   
tootsie roll and dum dum - shane
temper tantrum & 911 - parks
fat chance - byerly
slim chance - lavelle?
orbital and speedball - shapiro
bel air, tweetiebird, & eggroll - murray
s-bend - shannon best
mobius - kovak?
fruit loop - weddington
Old     (lmtwa)      Join Date: May 2001       07-29-2003, 2:22 PM Reply   
I think that it's the first person to land a trick in a competition - that used to be the way it was.
And yes, Chet raley (one of the best wakeboard coaches ever) is the one that trick is named after.
And btw - wait til you see Parks recovery on the slider on Sunday at Irvine (2nd pass) - unbelieveable.
Old    ssippiriverrat            07-29-2003, 3:27 PM Reply   
Thanks for the info, guys,--However, someone told me awhile ago that murray named it the pete rose because you were supposed to bet that you couldn't do it--or something like that--with Pete Rose's gambling addiction and all...

anyone know about the tantrum...I don't think it is a guys name

(Message edited by Ssippiriverrat on July 29, 2003)
Old    ghettolake415            07-29-2003, 4:53 PM Reply   
naw i'm pretty sure a pete rose is b/c of the way u fall.
Old    hick            07-29-2003, 5:34 PM Reply   
Pete Rose was named by Byerly. There was a write up about it way back in the day of WBM.
Old     (wakeguru)      Join Date: Feb 2003       07-30-2003, 8:53 AM Reply   
That's what I remember too Tom - the pic sequence of Byerly doing the Pete in WBM "back in tha day".....
Yeah Lloyd, I heard that Parks pulled a crazy save off of the slider on Sunday in Irvine. Have not seen the video circulate yet online anywhere though....? DW said the guy filming for Fox got it all, but who knows when that will air and plus, I never seem to catch those shows! Maybe it's time for Tivo.
Old     (nautiair)      Join Date: Sep 2002       07-30-2003, 10:34 AM Reply   
the raley is named after Chet Raley.... he gave Darin the idea to try it behind a boat.... before Darin did it behind a boat it was a cable trick.
Old     (kdr)      Join Date: Feb 2003       07-30-2003, 10:49 AM Reply   
The tantrum was named by Eric Perez.
Old     (eccpaint)      Join Date: Feb 2002       07-30-2003, 1:05 PM Reply   
There is new trick, tantrum w/ 360 on the way down. So far it has been called the "Hamrick Manuever" by his friends. Alex Hamrick nailed this trick about 2 weeks ago, Haven't heard if that is what it will be called for sure.
Old     (nautiair)      Join Date: Sep 2002       07-31-2003, 7:35 AM Reply   
erik ruck did that trick off the double up at the first tour stop this year...... tantrum and then as he was falling he pulled it to a blind 3.... it was sick!
Old    oldschool            07-31-2003, 7:49 AM Reply   
Slim Chance - Eisenhower
Old     (mvda)      Join Date: Dec 2002       07-31-2003, 8:00 AM Reply   
Craig, I'm pretty sure the Slim Chance was being thrown long before Eisenhower came on to the scene. I remember seeing Lavelle throw them back in 98.
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       07-31-2003, 9:37 AM Reply   
matt, i think gregg is saying that he is doing a tantrum with a frontside three, not a backside 3
Old    jakeman            07-31-2003, 10:45 AM Reply   
my boy Adam Delvecio invented the "other hand hoochie" also known as the "Atom Bomb" back in '94

you can see one of his videos on

www.420EMPIRE.com

video is called "off the water" featuring Atomic Atom

late/jake
Old     (mvda)      Join Date: Dec 2002       07-31-2003, 10:47 AM Reply   
Kyle, I think that too. You should be addressing Alex.
Old     (wakeguru)      Join Date: Feb 2003       07-31-2003, 12:05 PM Reply   
That friggin move Ruck pulled in Orlando was so big it's not even funny.
Old    wakeninja            07-31-2003, 12:34 PM Reply   
a tantrum w/ a frontside 360 is a KGB its been around for more than 2 years
Old    ssippiriverrat            07-31-2003, 12:48 PM Reply   
Has anyone heard of the gorilla?

It is a fashion air to indy grab--that is what we call it up in minnesota--is it known by any other name other places?--or is it just a regional thing?

Oh, also what is the vulcan all about--was someone a star trek fan or what?
thanks
Old     (jonori)      Join Date: Oct 2001       07-31-2003, 1:02 PM Reply   
Greg, a tantrum w/ a frontside 3 has no special name, and I have yet to seen one in any video I have ever watched. A KGB is a hs backroll with a bs 3.
Old     (nautiair)      Join Date: Sep 2002       08-01-2003, 7:12 AM Reply   
I thought a slim chance is a front flip with something..maybe a blind 3... don't think that a tantrum is the root of a slim chance........ I also thought that a tantrum with a bs 3 was called a Moby dick..... but that is when it is all thrown at the same time.... ruck did the tantrum and after he had finished the rotation he pulled it to a blind 3.

a vulcan is a s-bend and you rewind the last 180 and land switch.... I'm pretty sure that it finishes kind of like a elephant...... I know Darin does a switch vulcan..... it's crazy.
Old    corey_marotta            08-01-2003, 10:41 AM Reply   
Hasselhoff-Thomas Horrell

Switch Front with a back side 180
Old     (salmon_tacos)      Join Date: Jan 2003       08-01-2003, 12:17 PM Reply   
Someone asked where Tantrum came from. I really don't know but I think it's because when you throw your head back, you look like you're a little kid throwing a tantrum.

Waaaaahhhhhh!
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       08-01-2003, 4:09 PM Reply   
Salmon - I've heard that too. A slim chance is a hs front flip with a fs 3, also called a front mobe.

Jason - I've never seen one either but I sure would like to.

Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       08-01-2003, 5:49 PM Reply   
damn! and i thought i was being original. i was thinking since i just learned a hs fs 3 and i already know a how to do a tantrum that a lofty far-off goal would be a tantrum with a late fs 3 - the opposite of ruck's progressive moby dick (to use dave's terminology). oh well, someone's already doing it eh?

btw, i started a thread about names of flips with spins that no one's helping me with - fill in the blanks for me! here:

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/1/76967.html?1059684453
Old     (eccpaint)      Join Date: Feb 2002       08-01-2003, 8:43 PM Reply   
Matt & Kyle you both are correct. Alex Hamrick threw a tantrum with a late fs 3.
Old    reddog25cf            08-02-2003, 9:58 AM Reply   
I've got a buddy who thinks up tricks and then Michael Vincz (Junior Pro rider who we're friends with) goes out and does them. A couple that come to mind are the gargoyle (2 handed grab at the indy position, handle still in hand) and the corn dog (another two handed grab, front hand at indy and back hand in middle of the heel edge, again handle still in front hand). It's pretty funny watching Michael go out and do em. He's also named a few other little "tricks" like when you fall on your back and your legs fly up in front of ya, he calls it the slut, a boardslide across both wakes he called the boardwalk. Definitely makes it fun when he's yellin at people to do things he would never even try.