Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 04, 2003

Old     (colorider)      Join Date: Jun 2001       07-30-2003, 7:49 AM Reply   
The forums are loading so so slow lately. I can't blame my connection because I just did a test and I am running at 1650k for graphics and text. All other sites are running fine, but this one is slow. Help us out because this is the site I most often visit.
Old    jbillings            07-30-2003, 8:19 AM Reply   
I agree with andrew, I've noticed it too. I have T1 and have no internal problems. I was wondering if deleting some of the old posts within each forum would help?
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       07-30-2003, 8:21 AM Reply   
slower and slower all the time.
Old    nero            07-30-2003, 8:43 AM Reply   
I noticed too and it is pissing me off. Going slow on anything is the worse.
Old     (blastmaster)      Join Date: Aug 2001       07-30-2003, 9:51 AM Reply   
mee tooo and I have dsl.
Old     (kimmy)      Join Date: Aug 2001       07-30-2003, 11:18 AM Reply   
I as well have noticed it takes a very long time to even pull the discussion board up. Here at work and at home with cable and works system too.
Old    rdierolf            07-30-2003, 11:22 AM Reply   
ive noticed that today
Old     (noneya)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-30-2003, 11:41 AM Reply   
I've noticed if you just hit the "Stop" icon in your browser about 10 secs after you see the banner ads it pulls up but without the icons indicating the unread forums. Maybe too many flash ads?
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       07-30-2003, 11:54 AM Reply   
Unfortunately, the only thing to which I can attribute the slowness is the amount of traffic we get. August is our peak month for traffic and we had this same problem last year. Unfortunately, that might mean I can't do anything about it short dumping a bunch of money on new hardware to accomodate one month out of the year, which is not financially possible.

I've got my ISP looking into a few things and I'll try trimming down on the messages a bit, but I have a bad feeling that we're not going to make much of a difference. If, for some reason, things do speed up again. Please let me know. Thanks.
Old     (colorider)      Join Date: Jun 2001       07-30-2003, 12:08 PM Reply   
Thanks for the info Dave. Keep up the good work and I will just check out the forums at night. It is much better late in the evening.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       07-30-2003, 12:25 PM Reply   
That's another indicator that it's probably just a load up of traffic. We have 400 gigs going back and forth across the lines each month, so it's getting pretty crazy.

Tell me this, does the rest of WakeWorld seem to run slower than usual or does it seem normal to you?
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       07-30-2003, 12:29 PM Reply   
I just thought of something else. We just added 15 videos to the front page for the finals of the Malibu Open. That's a hella lot of people using a lot of bandwidth at the same time. I'm going to take it off the front page right now. Please check again in a half hour and tell me if that improves things. Thanks.
Old     (barry)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-30-2003, 12:43 PM Reply   
blazing fast again... Thanks, whatever you did.

B-
Old     (colorider)      Join Date: Jun 2001       07-30-2003, 8:43 PM Reply   
I think it is traffic on the boards making it slow. When I read and post at night, it is just peachy
Old    krichard            07-30-2003, 8:53 PM Reply   
What type of server are you running? What type and how much memory are you running and what is your upgrade potential? I'm betting there is some possible PR potential for getting you a hell of a server that will cure these problems.
Old    enigma            07-30-2003, 8:58 PM Reply   
What are you using for hosting? At a site I'm associated with, we use rackshack.net for our host. They have a link to the 7 major internet backbones.

We average around 10 million hits per month.. Nothing extraordinary, but enough to where we'd be able to see a dent in the speed if there was one. $99 for 700 GB/month on a dedicated server.
Old     (hyperlitenrd)      Join Date: Jan 2003       07-30-2003, 11:21 PM Reply   
i noticed that when the movies were up for download thats when it slowed down, that happened last time too. but im no server genius so just my 2 cents
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       07-31-2003, 2:01 PM Reply   
It's an NT server, but I'm not sure exactly how powerful the machine is. I'm sure I've got it buried around here somewhere, but not off the top of my head.

We use www.nethere.com for hosting. It's a local business that has really treated us well and helped out a lot with any problems we have. That $99 for 700 gigs sounds like a real bargain, but the last thing I want to do is swith providers. Prices that low usually come with a big gotcha somewhere and it's usually something you don't find out until you've already gone through the pain of switching! :-)
Old    enigma            07-31-2003, 2:54 PM Reply   
Been there, done that.. I'm not sure on all of the stuff entailed with it since I mainly just do the MySQL/PHP side of it when necessary.

I don't use them for my own stuff since I can get all the bandwidth I want for free at work. We have a dual-channel OC-12 here. 622 MBit each way.