Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 04, 2003

Old    zanek            07-30-2003, 6:41 PM Reply   
So...how many of you out there have to use the binding slime? If not what type of bindings do you have?
Old    rdierolf            07-30-2003, 7:28 PM Reply   
i did with my old board that was actually my dad's. he had his bindings custom fitted at some place i dont know where but he wears a 9 and i wear a 13. but then i got xxl hyperlite byerlys with the boa system and i dont need slime, it takes 30 seconds in whole to be ready to ride with those sweet bindings.
Old    debsxstar            07-30-2003, 7:40 PM Reply   
Is binding slime really any different than dish soap?? i use dish soap because i was told it's the same thing but I'm wondering it the "Slime" is designed to with stand more exposure to water. Meaning the slime adheres to the bindings longer for loner runs?? Anybody know? Otherwise why wouldn't everybody just use dish soap....it's cheaper.. ???
Old    chrisn            07-30-2003, 8:34 PM Reply   
it's all about the cheap colgate shaving cream w/ aloe.

(Message edited by chrisn on July 30, 2003)
Old    zanek            07-30-2003, 8:57 PM Reply   
ya...binding slime is safe for your bindings...It has alchihol so it will evaporate and not soak in and rot crap. Soap is terrable
Old    wantboatnow            07-30-2003, 9:11 PM Reply   
If you dont want to buy the slime, just make sure you use waterbased product. My friend uses tanning lotion and it never washes off the bindings.
Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       07-31-2003, 2:52 AM Reply   
I recently bought a gallon of that Newt Juice stuff only because it was on sale ($12) - which works great! Otherwise I use few drops of Dawn in a spray bottle.
Old     (bazel)      Join Date: Oct 2001       07-31-2003, 4:45 AM Reply   
Colgate foam is the best:
1- Cheap
2- Washes away
3- very slippery
Old     (n2mywake)      Join Date: Aug 2001       07-31-2003, 6:32 AM Reply   
We used to use Newt Juice and it was great. But now its shaving cream. Works just as good and rinses clean.
Old     (columbiatch)      Join Date: Oct 2002       07-31-2003, 7:29 AM Reply   
Save your money and buy a bottle of dish soap. I use dawn because it's biodegradable and doesn't have phosphates in it. I heard shaving cream was pretty crappy for polluting our waterways. So please take that into consideration.

And don't belive that soap is much much worse than binding slimes. Yeah sure, maybe the soap will eat away at the rubber in the bindings slowly; but honestly, if you get a new pair of bindings every 2-3 years, it doesn't matter. You won't notice the difference.

The only advantage of slimes or shaving cream is that they wash away faster. You want your lube to wash away before you start riding. If they don't, you may slip out of your binding when you don't want to.
Old    wissota            07-31-2003, 9:35 AM Reply   
I met a guy in Stella N.C. last year that tried an invert before his slime washed away. His foot slipped out & he shattered his calf somehow. The moral of the story: Make sure the goo has left before you try anything big.
Old     (rock_n_boardin)      Join Date: May 2003       07-31-2003, 2:07 PM Reply   
You can dilute binding slime with about half water, makes it cost half as much, and still does the trick.

Shaving cream is good, plus if your in a hurry to the lake and you forget to shave, all you need is a razor to get the job done, or you can use your fin on your wakeboard, instead of a razor. Either way you will have the shaving cream with you.