Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 04, 2003

Old     (dreevs)      Join Date: Jul 2002       07-24-2003, 1:09 PM Reply   
I'm not sure you guys even get internet access north of Detroit, but it's worth a shot.....Just kidding. Looking for a pull the weekend of the 8th (aug) Ill be in the Houghton Lake area for the weekend and would like to see the wakeboard scene up there... is it possible? I saw some pretty sick boats out there last year, but didn't get a chance to talk to anyone.
Old     (rootc)      Join Date: Aug 2002       07-25-2003, 10:06 AM Reply   
Houghton lake sucks for wakeboarding. Muddy and shallow water. Also, it can be hard to find calm water. Couple years back we were boarding about 100 yards off the shore. My buddy crashed hard on a raley. We turn the boat around and he is standing up in knee deep water. Pretty scary.
Old     (chrzanowski5)      Join Date: Aug 2002       07-25-2003, 10:40 AM Reply   
Actually, Houghton Lake is clearer than ever. I guess the DNR tried to control the weeds and killed them off. Thus, causing the water to clear up and make the lake much better for recreational purposes. The environmentalist (tree huggers) aren't too pleased. Still too big and too shallow to board a whole lot.
Old     (yooper)      Join Date: Jun 2002       07-25-2003, 6:38 PM Reply   
Aw, man..... When I read the title, I thought you were talking about NORTHERN Michigan....
Old     (chrzanowski5)      Join Date: Aug 2002       07-26-2003, 3:03 PM Reply   
Sorry Yooper. I didn't realize wakeboarding had migrated UP there.
Old     (rootc)      Join Date: Aug 2002       07-28-2003, 6:33 AM Reply   
Did the glaciers melt in the UP. Is there open water yet. ha ha.
Old     (dreevs)      Join Date: Jul 2002       07-28-2003, 9:44 AM Reply   
Houghton is a lot cleaner now, and I agree it pretty much sux for wakeboarding. We have a yearly get together up there so I get to teach all the cousins and their girlfriends how to wakeboard. Damn water is cold up there though! You guys actually have power boats in the U.P.? Wet suits all year??
Old     (yooper)      Join Date: Jun 2002       07-30-2003, 7:48 PM Reply   
The thing that sucks about the U.P. is it gets kind of lonely out there. I have a buddy who has a '98 prostar and the other day we were the only two boats on the lake. No wakeboarding community, not even any skiers, tubers or jet skiers to meet and hang out with. Just two boats full of people hanging out, drinking and riding all day. A couple of fishermen parked near shore, but that was it....
kind of choppy too........