Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 19, 2008

Old     (dreevs)      Join Date: Jul 2002       07-24-2008, 8:35 AM Reply   
I have recently sold my VLX with the intent of getting a new boat in the spring. I saw the recent post here with all the pics on the new boats and I REALLY like the X35 SS (not to mention a few riders in Houston sold me on Mastercraft...).
It looks like Mastercraft has created an entire line of Salt water style boats. I am assuming this line is relatively new. How long has Mastercraft had their salt series boats? Do the salt series boats see more depreciation on the boat market due to the "salt" part of the name? Has the line been around long enough to give that kind of info?
I am stricly speaking resale here. I am a clean freak when it comes to boats and please keep in mind that I am of the opinion that any boat can be put in salt and hold up just fine - with the right amount of maintenance and the proper trailer. I do like the fact that a wakeboat manufacturer has taken the time to enhance a boat line for the salt environment (kind of a big body of water to ignore...). Is it all for naught at resale time?
Also - any of you have this boat and how do you like it?
Old     (greenspirit_hydro)      Join Date: May 2007       07-24-2008, 8:43 AM Reply   
I have an 07 X-star SS. It is my 1st boat and I am very happy with it. However, there have been some issues. The motor mounts are rusting and will be replaced in the off season. I got the extended warranty and think it will pay off since my boat runs in brackish water 95% of the time. The trailers brakes are showing some rusting even though I flush them after each dip into the salt. There is a little surface rust on the engine. I was told the engine heats up, melting the special "marinized" painting opening the door for oxidation to begin. Once again that will be covered by my warranty. They will simply sand it down and re paint. Salt water has in no way affected the top of the boat (tower, vinyl and interior metal). I love my boat!
Old     (avydriver)      Join Date: Jul 2008       07-24-2008, 9:17 AM Reply   
The SS is a really sweet looking boat on the surface. But MC has no experience with the salt water. Personally, if you are planning on using it more than 50% in salt water, I would wait a few years until they figure out where the wear and tear will be. Warranty is not necessarily the answer to corrosion.

Salt water is very hard on boats, and you can rarely see where the corrosion begins until it is well on its way. And unfortunately, it is like taxes, you will pay.
Old     (c640947)      Join Date: Jan 2005       07-24-2008, 9:45 AM Reply   
ted whats up! I knew you wouldn't be out of a boat long. Glad you liked our rides. I have been interested in the 35 too, so I'll have to roll down to FL and ride yours when you get it. I'm headed down to the Keys still Oct 10-13.

I can't comment on MC's experience in salt water, but they have offered salt water boats for a couple of years I think. When comparing to a saltwater fishing boat I am sure they have something to learn, but compared to other wakeboard boats, I can't see why it would be a bad option.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       07-24-2008, 9:46 AM Reply   
Ted, I've seen a few older ( 04/05 ) x-stars that are moored down in mexico ( in saltwater marinas) that looked pretty good on the surface.
Old     (c640947)      Join Date: Jan 2005       07-24-2008, 9:52 AM Reply   
speaking of the X-35, I am suprised we haven't seen many pics or people buying that boat (people that frequent ww that is.) Wonder why that is?

My guess is that for the money, most on here would get an X-Star before an X-35. But right now, I have to think the x-35 could be the superior boat (interior is better, wake should be similar.) I just haven't heard actual reviews of the wake, just rumors. Anyone test one of these bad boys out yet?
Old     (dreevs)      Join Date: Jul 2002       07-24-2008, 12:03 PM Reply   
I probably wont have the X35 by then, but I do have my Dad's boat in the Keys that we wakeboard and scuba dive from - you bringing the new addition with you guys?

I just know the ridiculous paranoia surrounding saltwater and ski/wake boats during the resale process. I am hoping that the SS would help alleviate those fears if I were ever in a position to sell again. I guess with 16 versions of SS boats - Mastercraft is showing there is a salt driven market?
Id like to hear some reviews too - I am talking to a couple reps here in Florida, but none of them have offered a demo yet...if your reading Billy, Kevin...
Old     (dreevs)      Join Date: Jul 2002       07-24-2008, 12:05 PM Reply   
Adam - I saw a Mastercraft at a Sandals in Jamaica. If Mastercraft wanted to study the affects of salt on their boats - wow, thats the place. They treat that boat like a plastic kayak - looks like it still runs like a champ!
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       07-24-2008, 1:16 PM Reply   
dreevs, a bit off topic, but what boat are you diving from? Got an old school MC and I'm thinking about putting a tank rack in it somewhere. Also, concerned about fiberglass damage from wear and tear with tanks and gear.

Here's a 35.

Upload
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       07-24-2008, 1:24 PM Reply   
one more
Upload

Peanut butter interior is the bizness.
Old     (dreevs)      Join Date: Jul 2002       07-24-2008, 1:57 PM Reply   
I have that overview pic as my wall paper right now. I agree!
In the Keys I am diving from a walk around cuddy cabin outboard - its set up for diving.
I used to dive with my VLX though. You can strap the tanks on the swim platform with a ratchet strap (if your going a long way - the reef was 3-5 miles out in the Keys) and the rest of the gear you can throw in the lockers.
Old     (jaysus)      Join Date: Nov 2006       07-24-2008, 2:20 PM Reply   
MasterCraft as a company is a few years into the salt, but their chief designer worked for Boston Whaler for quite some time. They added someone else from Cobalt and are heavy into the salt-market. The SS series grew 280% world wide last year.

For core differences, it's 100% closed cooling with sierra anti-freeze. All of the wiring on the boat is tin dipped prior to insulating, stainless steel fittings throughout along with the usual sacrificial anodes and anodized everything (same w/the fresh boats). Galvanized trailers and rims help.

Salt is a huge market and I for one am glad MC took the leap and recognized the need for a true wake boat in the salt.

(Message edited by jaysus on July 24, 2008)
Old     (tversetti)      Join Date: Jan 2008       07-24-2008, 4:59 PM Reply   
I rode in a x35 from Chicago Mastercraft at a meet in the middle of illinois, and while I am nobody of any value, one of the guys that rode said the wake looked just like the x-star's wake. He had no complaints, said it was totally clean and just as big. It was a big boat though, real big.

We had about 5-7 people in it, and I assume he had the ballast all the way.
Old     (bently22)      Join Date: Jul 2008       07-24-2008, 5:46 PM Reply   
I have the '07 X-2 SS and I've had nothing but problems, the crusader motor overheats in idle ever since I've had the boat. It's been water tested by the dealer for more then 50hrs and still overheating. Engine mounts are completely rusted and brakes are showing tremendous amount of rust. I had an '04 X-Star before and that held up better in salt water then the "saltwater edition" boat i own now.
Old     (jaysus)      Join Date: Nov 2006       07-24-2008, 7:11 PM Reply   
Hence no Crusader for MC in 08 forward. I would have the dealer "burp" the system and check the thermostat. It seemed any crusaders we've seen had the issue, but a good burp and the engines held 160 all day.
Old     (c640947)      Join Date: Jan 2005       07-25-2008, 9:48 AM Reply   
Ted - I am pretty sure we are bringing Rowan. I think we are scheduled to kite-board one of the days. You'll have to roll down for it. I've never done it before.
Old     (dreevs)      Join Date: Jul 2002       07-25-2008, 10:11 AM Reply   
Yeah! The winds start picking up around then. Did you schedule with Seven Kiteboarding in Islamorada? Ill be down there - put it on the calender.
Wow Iggy, sounds like you got a lemon. How do galvanized trailers and stainless bolts rust - ?
Old     (c640947)      Join Date: Jan 2005       07-28-2008, 9:52 AM Reply   
I did not schedule it so I am not sure who it is with or which day we are going. I'll find out and let you know.

You ever kiteboarded before? Anyone suggest bringing wakeboard or using a kite specific board?
Old     (dreevs)      Join Date: Jul 2002       07-28-2008, 10:53 AM Reply   
I would recommend just renting the entire package from seven (or whomever). They say the sandal style straps for your feet are better than boots when you are learning - also the board rocker is smoother and fins are deeper.

I've done it, but I also recommend lessons. I ended up getting a 25meter kite caught in an up draft that sucked me up and then quickly slammed me down on my neck then proceeded to drag me down the beach until the kite hit a house. The kite was so big it looked like the house was being fumagated. I have some nice little scars on my knee. My dogs chased me down the beach like I was a tennis ball.
Havent done it since, but I plan to take some lessons at seven in the fall.
Old     (drewdown)      Join Date: Jun 2006       07-29-2008, 8:36 AM Reply   
I got an 06 X-30 non-SS that is always in brackish water, stays on a lift when not in use. Motor mounts are rusted and the manifolds leaked, thats all the problems I have had with it in the 3 years of ownership.

What are the major differences between the Salt edition and the non-salt?
Old     (c640947)      Join Date: Jan 2005       07-29-2008, 9:17 AM Reply   
defintely getting lessons - especially after that story!

ill know next week what day we are kiteboarding i think.
Old     (dreevs)      Join Date: Jul 2002       07-30-2008, 5:40 AM Reply   
Drew - do you fresh water rinse and maintain it well? I always flushed and rinsed my VLX with Salt Away and never had any issues either. Jaysus gives a pretty good description above of what makes the boat a "salt" boat.
Old     (drewdown)      Join Date: Jun 2006       07-30-2008, 8:51 AM Reply   
Ted - Yes and no. Fresh water rinsed after every use and stored in the winter, fresh water flush no. I actually went to the store about a month ago (after manifolds leaked) to buy a fresh water kit but they were out and haven't gone back since.

:-(

EDIT: Like I said before I ride in brackish water, thats all my boat has ever seen, hell I dont even own a trailer! My point is that I have the non-salt edition and ride in brackish water and am very happy with it.

(Message edited by drewdown on July 30, 2008)

(Message edited by drewdown on July 30, 2008)
Old     (dreevs)      Join Date: Jul 2002       07-30-2008, 11:04 AM Reply   
Im with you on that - I never had salt issues either and I didnt have a "salt" boat. I did okay when I sold mine, but the "salt" question came up EVERY phone call.

The overwhelming majority of ski/wake boat owners will just not consider buying a boat thats been in salt.

I guess the salt water series wake boats have just not been around long enough for anyone to give an opinion regarding resale ability. Will the fact that its a salt water series boat change the mindset of a potential buyer that has the "if its been in salt, I aint buying it" mindset...? Thats what I am curious about. Every Mastercraft dealer says what I want to hear (rightfully so, they have a product to push) - I want to hear from other boat owners.
I would like to think that now that its a salt water series boat - the stigma goes away.
Old     (dreevs)      Join Date: Jul 2002       07-30-2008, 11:07 AM Reply   
Ill start a new thread.
Old     (jaysus)      Join Date: Nov 2006       07-30-2008, 2:16 PM Reply   
To add to the Salt Series MasterCraft also has a fresh water flush kit standard on all of the salt boats. With the check valve in the flush pro, you can hook up a garden hose to it and run it to flush out the salt while it's sitting in the salt water, or on your trailer.
Old     (aces6692)      Join Date: Nov 2006       07-30-2008, 3:56 PM Reply   
not sure a out the ss, but ive ridden behind the 35, its amazing, ive only ridden with stock ballast, but i could tell if u add weight, the wake can get massive, the surf wake on it is good to, the handling is great as well