Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 19, 2008

Old     (soundbox)      Join Date: Oct 2007       07-22-2008, 12:38 PM Reply   
Last week I had the opportunity to take a Malibu factory tour at the Merced, California location. I was very impressed with the amount of organization and attention to detail that goes into the manufacturing process start to finish. I was lucky to have a great tour guide. Anyone who is able should take a tour. Seeing some of the new things for 09 were great and learning exactly what is involved in making a great boat was very informative. They say pictures are worth a thousand words so here it goes.

Molds after gel coat
Upload
Upload

2 paint booths that are each able to hold 2 molds.
Upload

Gel coat sealer. All sealer sprayed is now blue for better color tone of gel coat.
Upload
Upload

Sealed mold ready for fiberglass.
Upload

First layer (outer layer) of fiberglass is applied with a chopper gun and rolled down by hand. The chopped fibers are used in the first step to insure there are not any air pockets and that deep corners and sharp edges get correct about of coverage.
Upload
Upload
Upload

Mold for 2009 VLX. Fiberglass mating of various weight is applied to specific areas for optimum strength. All fiberglass work is done in a temperature controlled area to keep cure time consistant all year long. During extreme heat crews start at 5am.
Upload

Areas where items such as lifting eyes, wedge, grab rails or cleats are mounted receive additional reinforcement and more fiberglass from back side of hull or deck.
Upload

Floor board is precut and then fiberglassed into the hull. The material used is manufactured to minimize vibration and control noise. The multiple holes that are cut toward the outer edge of the floor are used to inject floatation foam so a Malibu will bob in the water instead of sinking in bad situations. I hope no one ever needs this but its nice to know it is there.
Upload

The all fiberglass stringers are bonded to the hull and act as the backbone for the boat. The stringers are hollow and will direct air to the engine compartment from the vents on the front of the boats bow.
Upload

09 VLX in first day of assembly.
Upload

09 VLX air intake vent location that will be connected to the stringers via hoses to feed air to the motor.
Upload

Detail of 09 VLX hull
Upload

Great looking windshield.
Upload

09 VLX after top deck and carpet are installed
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload

Passenger side dash board after hand applied and shaped foam padding and before vinyl
Upload

MaliVue dashes ready for a new home.
Upload

Wrapped and ready dash board. New push button start taken from the 08 Corvette boat. Bezels are not installed around switch panels yet.
Upload

Direct drive in production.
Upload
Upload

Material rack for computer controlled cutter. Type in the model boat and let the pizza cutter type machine do the rest.
Upload

Direct drive assembly area
Upload

Aluminum honey comb sheets used for rear sun deck and one of the floor panels. Used for high strength to weight ratio. This will make opening the rear hatch easier without sacrificing rigidity.
Upload

One of the upholstery fabrication areas. Machine behind table saw is a CNC machine for cutting out the ABS bases for seat cushions.
Upload

Material cutouts from the machine are brought here to be sewn into covers
Upload

Production line for the seat covers, foam and ABS bases. Each person is assigned specific parts to ensure consistent top notch quality in every part. During break time poker skills are practiced.
Upload

A rack of Indmar motors. Malibu California receives roughly one shipment every month. Malibu California will average 150-175 boats in full production every month.
Upload

Chevy LS2 for Corvette ZO6 Malibu. Malibu California is the only Malibu plant that produces the Corvette boat. There are also Malibu plants in Tennessee and Australia.
Upload

Dash bezel for MaliVue dash fresh out of one of the many CNC machines in Malibus own metal fabrication department.
Upload

VTX waiting for a lake test in the morning.
Upload

A look back at the new graphic that matches the new VLX hull.
Upload

A VTX that just finished a 20 minute lake test of all features including ballast and wedge. Every boat recieves a 20 minute lake test and a 150 point inspection before going to final assembly and detail. I want this job!
Upload

Another VTX next in line for a lake test and inspection.
Upload

MaliVue in VTX with standard key ignition.
Upload
Upload
Upload

Butt shot of new VLX. New grab rail fits the quality and high standards of Malibu.
Upload

23 LSVs in line to be lake tested the next day.
Upload
Upload

Shot of the new grab rail inside the bow of the 09 VLX. With the intake grills and grab bars relocated the front of the bow looks much cleaner. New speaker grills for all 2009s.
Upload

Vent installed to 09 VLX.
Upload

Another VLX going down the line.
Upload

New for 2009, the 23 Vride. Based off the same hull as the 07 23 LSV but with the same features you are used to in the ride series. 3 piece rear sun deck, standard rocker switch dash, original Illusion X tower, wrap around windshield...
Upload
Upload
Upload

Mailbu will now be offering custom hull wraps from the factory. This can be a business name or pattern of your choice or…...
Upload

09 21 Vride. Based off the 08 VLX.
Upload
Upload
Upload

A look at the Vdrive production area.
Upload

Interior of 23LSV with MaliVue and Keyed Ignition
Upload
Upload

Optional Corvette blue metallic on a Sunscape 23. The picture does not show how great this color looks.
Upload

09 VLX interior.
Upload

These pictures and descriptions cover only a portion of what there is to experience. Hope this gives some good information to the people who don't have the luxury of being a couple hours away from the factory.
Old     (jon4pres)      Join Date: May 2004       07-22-2008, 1:07 PM Reply   
I love the new tower but it seems to be just about as tall laid down as it is standing up.

Very cool boats. I really like those new ride graphics.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-22-2008, 1:20 PM Reply   
Ben great photo's and thanks for sharing. So I guess you're set on a Bu now huh...
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       07-22-2008, 1:32 PM Reply   
Great write up! Thanks for the pictures, explanations, and showing us why Malibus make the best boats on the planet! :-)
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       07-22-2008, 1:39 PM Reply   
You can unbolt the rope hoop off the tower on the illusion XS, so when you drop the tower it's only about as high as the windshield.
Old     (jbarber3orange)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-22-2008, 2:19 PM Reply   
Thanks for posting. I might have to check out the tennessee plant. Anyone know where its at in Tennessee?
Old     (jbarber3orange)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-22-2008, 2:22 PM Reply   
Nevermind, just looked it up. Loudon, TN just outside of Knoxville.
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       07-22-2008, 2:24 PM Reply   
thanks for sharing. that was neat to see.

great pics and well done.
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-22-2008, 2:36 PM Reply   
Thanks for the pics. I agree that the Corvette blue is unreal in person.
Old     (cavlxenvy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-22-2008, 3:02 PM Reply   
God I love Malibu's but I do not like that Ride Decal.
Old     (billy2603)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-22-2008, 3:18 PM Reply   
Great tour of a tour - makes me want the 09 VLX more than ever!
Old     (soundbox)      Join Date: Oct 2007       07-22-2008, 3:28 PM Reply   
nu bu - I have my sights on a Malibu but its a matter of having the wallet to support it. I did look at another manufacture in the area that is doing some crazy stuff for 09 also. The line up for 09 from Malibu has a boat for everyone, I just hope that one of them is for me.

I went down to the factory on Wednesday and this morning was the first time I had the time to sit down and resize and post the pics. I'm glad you guys like them.
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       07-22-2008, 3:35 PM Reply   
Thanks for the effort Ben.
Old     (kyback)      Join Date: Jul 2008       07-22-2008, 9:24 PM Reply   
Very Cool! Thanks for sharing.
Old     (pdqwrx)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-22-2008, 10:36 PM Reply   
That trip was a blast....Thanks for letting me go with you...
Old     (hunter660)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-23-2008, 4:26 AM Reply   
Wow, thanks for the pictures.
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       07-23-2008, 6:23 AM Reply   
Impressed with the boats love the clean look. No one blings and does interior like Malibu. Have to say I am not that impressed with the factory itself.
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-23-2008, 12:22 PM Reply   
Ben,

Thanks for the great pics, explinations, etc. I remember a few years ago when my VLX was being built, I drove there from San Diego just to see my baby being built. I spent abnout 3.5 hours touring the factory. Not sure any other companies would do that, although I am not sure. I just know Malibu is great about it. Hoping to maybe move up to a 2010 24LSV (in my dreams). Guess I will be making another trip up there then.

Tampawake,

Not sure what you don't like about the factory. I was pretty impressed myself. Just curious.
Old     (djhuff)      Join Date: Mar 2005       07-23-2008, 12:41 PM Reply   
I did the tour of Malibu, Skier's Choice, and Mastercraft on the same day in TN. Definately a great experience, you are really allowed to get right into the production line, I got a few "excuse me" from workers.
Old     (malibu_barbie)      Join Date: Nov 2007       07-23-2008, 1:57 PM Reply   
Hey Ben,
I'm glad you guys came out to visit the factory; I hope the tour helped with your decision making. Next time let me turn around and smile for the picture!
Old     (helinut)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-23-2008, 3:49 PM Reply   
So, is that little blonde in there Stephanie? I was wondering if that was her or not. I do believe you're the one that takes the pics and sends them out aren't ya?

Any yeah Ben, if that was her, you need better pictures :-)
Old     (five_cent_worth)      Join Date: Jul 2008       07-23-2008, 4:21 PM Reply   
Thanks for posting!!
Old     (ericlee)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-23-2008, 4:51 PM Reply   
wow, love the new malivue...looks like the other boat manufacturers have some catching up
Old     (kko13)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-23-2008, 5:01 PM Reply   
thanx for sharing. the boats do look nice.
the one thing i see that could bite them in the azz is the aluminum honeycomb they use. if it has not changed they could be in trouble.i have had two boats that have come in were the little oval shaped access cover in the floor made out of this material just completely disintegrated. both boats were used in salt. not saying it will be a problem but it sure could be.
Old     (phat_in_cincy)      Join Date: May 2003       07-23-2008, 6:43 PM Reply   
WOW!
Thanks for sharing! Awesome write-up!
Old     (westsiderippa)      Join Date: Dec 2006       07-23-2008, 9:22 PM Reply   
good post, thanks for the tour. looks like they are doing work up in there. i gotta say, i think my next boat is a 21 ride?? i the kind of guy that doesnt accept change very well, its the simple things that keep me happy. malibu is doing the right thing by keeping the old vlx hull and the 23 for that matter, seems like drastic hull changes and abolishing what people are used to can lose your customers.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-23-2008, 11:24 PM Reply   
Wow, great pics & explanation. Thanks for taking the time to put that together.

Beautiful boats. Nice to see the keyless ignition make it to Malibu. I never knew the stringers were part of getting air to the engine. Hope they fire the 2nd grader who designed those Ride graphics!!
Old     (ron_mexico)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-24-2008, 6:50 AM Reply   
is it me or does that factory look a little empty? I guess the boating industry sure is hurting.

Ben - How many did malibu say they were building a day? just curious.
Old     (buguru)      Join Date: Feb 2006       07-24-2008, 10:05 AM Reply   
Bill ~ I will be sure to get those stickers on order for ya....
Old     (nautiquesonly)      Join Date: Sep 2007       07-24-2008, 11:35 AM Reply   
Wow thats cool
Old     (helinut)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-24-2008, 3:02 PM Reply   
By the way... anyone wanting a 07 Vride??!?! I sooo want to upgrade to the 23 Ride. It's just what I was looking for. Minus the graphics :-)
Old     (tige21i)      Join Date: Mar 2008       07-24-2008, 4:55 PM Reply   
Shoot, am i the only one that thinks the Ride logo looks good in any way shape or form?
Old     (burbanized)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-24-2008, 7:33 PM Reply   
Great pictures Ben. Thankx for sharing them, I LOVE them MALIBUS
Old     (soundbox)      Join Date: Oct 2007       07-24-2008, 9:51 PM Reply   
Thanks everyone for the great reviews. After the first 5 minutes of the tour I knew it was something that I wanted to share with all my fellow WWers.

Matt Huff - I was impressed to learn that Malibu TN produces about the same amount of boats as CA.

Stephanie - Thanks for the great tour and the wealth of information. Next time I'll make sure to get you to strike a pose for the camera.

Bill K - Using the stringers to get air to the motor from the bow vents was a surprise to me too! I think it is a great idea.

Ron Mexico - The factory wasn't empty at all. It was set up to keep everything organized and productive. Another building was added for additional space to keep thing from being cramped. I would say the building that was added is about 40000sq ft for the parts storage, machine shop and welding area. I am a fan of having more space to make sure things organized and efficient. This is why I like having 15000sq ft to use at work. As far as production goes Stephanie said at full production (during times of peak sales) the CA factory makes 2000 boats a year. I would guess at the time of the tour they had 4-6 boats in each phase of production.

Shawn - I think that the 23 Ride is going to appeal to many people for 09 and the price should be a steal for that hull.
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       07-25-2008, 12:09 AM Reply   
I think my next boat will be a Bu but with the older illusion tower I really don't like the new one.
Old     (soundbox)      Join Date: Oct 2007       07-29-2008, 11:36 PM Reply   
Big Factory Sale on Malibus in Rocklin, CA this weekend!
Old     (longhornfan)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-30-2008, 3:32 PM Reply   
I don't think I've heard anyone say they like that new tower. Hopefuly Malibu will listen to the customers and that thing'll be short lived. Still better than Nautiques new tower though. I love how Nautiques look but that tower's nasty.
Old     (big_brandon)      Join Date: Dec 2005       07-31-2008, 8:15 AM Reply   
Better than Nautique's, but not even CLOSE to Tige's new tower. Yeah Baby, it's a NICE......