Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 19, 2008

Old     (kawman10)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-16-2008, 11:50 AM Reply   
I can get a sweet deal on either of these boats.
what kind of storage on each of these boats?
What's the pro's and Con's on these 2 boats?

I'm leaning towards the X-1.

thanks everyone.
Old     (kickflip_mj)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-16-2008, 11:58 AM Reply   
you know im a malibu kinda guy but two of my friends have the old x-1's and when weighted right the wake is huge, but isnt the v ride the old vlx hull?? basically they are both good boats in my opinion... have the dealer take you out in both of them.
Old     (midwesttex)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-16-2008, 12:03 PM Reply   
Ride on both of them. I was confronted with a similar situation. To me the X-1 is a much sexier boat with better lines. The V-ride is very bland. However, you can typically get more options etc one the Vride for the same price. I went with the X-1, storage has been good, now that the seats are broken it it is easier to get to everything. If you are looking for a big wake you are going to need more than just the rear tanks in the X-1; I can't remember what the ballast set up is in the V-ride.

I got a chance to ride behind the X1 and loved it, also liked the dealer better, so it became a no brainer.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       07-16-2008, 12:08 PM Reply   
Great comparison. Both are great boats. I would probably lean toward the X1. I Owned an X1 in 2005 and it was great. I've also spent a lot of time behind the V-ride hull. I have a grea MC dealer near by. That's the scale tipper for me.
Old     (xsmini)      Join Date: Dec 2005       07-16-2008, 12:50 PM Reply   
The V-Ride is larger, With the optional rear tanks and Wedge, will have a larger out of the box wake. Cooler tower, easier to fold.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-16-2008, 1:59 PM Reply   
X1 is a tiny boat, more room in the v-ride if that's what you need. Other than that it's a toss up.
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-16-2008, 2:04 PM Reply   
Both boats were the head to head pro caliber wake boats back in the day along with the 210 nauty. This was Bu's pro boat and MC's pro boat back in the day. Both wakes have the ability to get sick.

The wake is going to be the huge difference. The Bu's will be a bit more rampy, and the X1's will be a bit more vert. I do know from experience though that that Bu with the wedge and tanks needs an good chunk extra in the bow. Overall both boats are now "entry level" boats . How that is I have no idea when they used to be the pro-tour boats, and the most sought after wakes that started it all.

The V-Ride will give you a bit more room and storage. They also use a different construction for their seat bases. I own a 2000 X-star, same as X-1. I would love to have the BU boat with the MC wake. The VLX just has more room and isn't so cramped and I just love the way it feels. But my bu dealer is questionable and I prefer the MC style wake. The MC will handle a little better. Even when weighted. The wedge is loved by some and hated by some, but one thing that is for sure it it makes the boat drive like a pig when deployed witha full load. I also think the bu hull handles rough water a bit better than the X1. Neither is one to write home about, but comparatively speaking the bu wins out. You are gonna hear the quality argument all day long, but the fact of the matter is boath boats are rock solid and come from a long line of solid boats

If you are just starting out, go with which one has the better dealer IMO. You will like either wake. The dealer is often the most overlooked thing in a boat purchase. But if you ever need anything done a good dealer will be worth the extra 3-5k you may have to spend in the long run as they are the ones who get things done.

(Message edited by xstarrider on July 16, 2008)

(Message edited by xstarrider on July 16, 2008)
Old     (bob_l)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-16-2008, 3:08 PM Reply   
Cant give you a comparison but the X-1 (I have an 07) is perfect for MY application. We rarely have more than 5 in the boat at any one time and do not have to deal with rough water. As mentioned, it is small compared to other boats and not great in rough water but it was never intended to be. We use the stock ballast and it puts out a super nice wake and can be slammed into a world class wake (from what others have told me). It also skis very nice if that interest you.

Good luck in your decision.
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       07-16-2008, 3:52 PM Reply   
you dont want the wedge on the v-ride. it makes the wake super steep and gives it a almost curling over lip to it. great boat though. i would go with the v-ride with no wedge.
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       07-16-2008, 6:04 PM Reply   
X-1 :-)

had to negate nubu's post
Old     (tj_in_kc)      Join Date: Jan 2008       07-16-2008, 7:49 PM Reply   
I bet you couldn't pick the wrong boat out of these choices.

I own an 07 V-Ride and love it. Been great so far. Never sat in a MC X-1, but i bet they are a sweet boat too.

I would drive and ride behind both then decide.
Old     (lionel)      Join Date: Nov 2005       07-16-2008, 9:29 PM Reply   
Is the 2009 V-Ride going to be based on the current VLX hull? If so, are they going to stop making the current V-Ride hull? Depending this might help or hurt if you choose to buy 2008 V-Ride.
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       07-16-2008, 9:38 PM Reply   
Before we made the same decision you're making we test drove both boats. The X1 just felt more solid in the water, with a little nicer interior, and although it is a bit cramped with a bunch of people, fit our application perfectly. Haven't ridden a slammed V ride but I can guarantee you won't be complaining about the X1 wake. Stock ballast and it will get you up and running. Add another 1000 lbs and you'll be grinning ear to ear. The surf wake isn't too shabby either...
Old     (jrw160)      Join Date: Oct 2006       07-19-2008, 5:51 AM Reply   
From what I've read, the 09 vride is going to have the 05-08 vlx hull, and it looks like the current vride (pre 05 vlx) hull will be no more.
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       07-19-2008, 6:54 AM Reply   
V-ride was a more family friendly boat when I bought mine and at the time there wasn't a good MC dealer, local. I like to run my boat with more ballast(than stock) and no wedge. Next year malibu is making the old VLX and 23lsv a ride series boat. I think a person will have the option of a vride, 21ride, and 23ride.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-19-2008, 6:56 AM Reply   
^^^^ Yup that's correct, basically a toned down VLX with less bling. Still probably more optioned out than an X1 though. If comparing an 09 vride to an X1 I'd go 09 Vride any day of the week the boat literally fells almost twice as big, puts out a great wake out of the box without needing extra ballast. Probably still pick one up for less than an X1 to.
Old     (kawman10)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-21-2008, 5:40 AM Reply   
thanks for all the great info. will have to get behind each to see which I like. there isn't either dealer within 150 miles of my house. it's great living out in the sticks in central PA.
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       07-21-2008, 9:01 AM Reply   
Go to lake wallenpaupack...MC and Malibu dealer on the lake
Old     (brianpt)      Join Date: Jul 2008       07-30-2008, 11:21 PM Reply   
08 mc x1 love it to death does it all for me and the kids love sparkly redUpload
Old     (mike_nielsen_omaha_marine_center)      Join Date: Mar 2008       07-31-2008, 12:11 PM Reply   
I would take the x-1 great boat for the money
Old     (loffgren)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-05-2008, 4:53 PM Reply   
X1 anyday....