Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 19, 2008

Old     (tlatoani)      Join Date: Oct 2007       07-15-2008, 8:20 AM Reply   
I need a tow vehicle for my Moomba XLV (23', a bit under 5klb with trailer, plus gear/people/fuel/etc). I am leaning towards a crew cab pickup.

I see 0% for 72mo on the GM line. I can get employee pricing plus a few hundred because of where I work, which is basically a bit over invoice. Can I do better than that? This is the way I am leaning right now.

Ford is offering 10k off, but 3k of that is loyalty cash. I don't own a ford, so are they trying to discourage me from buying one?

Nissan has a sign on a truck that says 8k off. I also see 0% for 60mo, but I am sure you don't get both. I guess I could try. (I actually DO like the Titan-don't hate me)

Toyota looks to have 0% for 60mo also. I'm pretty sure they are too tall for the parking garage at work, otherwise it'd be near the top of my list. The others will be very tight.

Dodge...well, they're trucks are old so I don't care. Too tall as well.

Any other deals out there? I have no brand loyalty. I do need to fit in a 75 inch garage, which is tough with 4wd (and I do want 4wd). Has anyone bought a truck lately and been able to push the price pretty hard? I'm sure they are not selling well right now.
Old     (gobigorgohome)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-15-2008, 8:32 AM Reply   
I read recently that Dodge are offering 50% off MSRP on their 1/2 ton hemi trucks. I know you said that you don't want a Dodge, but you can show this to the other dealerships to get them to match it.
Old     (04gravitygames)      Join Date: Jan 2006       07-15-2008, 9:21 AM Reply   
tlat,
On the Chevy, mine pulls my GG SSV with no problem, i like the way it pulls. I dont like the interior
On the Ford, Had one ond it worked to pull my boat, better styling and looks but pulling performance was not like the chevy.
On the Titan, Best frined owns one and it is a HOSS, it is a strong truck, never pulled my boat but he swears by it.
this is just my .2
Old     (elc)      Join Date: Jan 2008       07-15-2008, 9:39 AM Reply   
I was able to get 10k off MSRP for an 08, toyota, 2wd, SR5, crewmax in southern california. $4500 from the dealer and $5500 worth of rebates. I was able to get 3.9% financing through my wifes credit union. The dealers in my area would not give the 0% plus the rebates.

I would have pulled the trigger until they offered me $6,500 for my 05 tundra and I have not been able to sell it.

My boss told me yesterday that he is working on a deal for a 4wd Sequoya for $12k off and 0% but the dealer is in central CA. Based on that, it looks like there are dealers out there that will offer both incentives.

As the 09's come out the next couple of months I would assume there are going to be even better deals.

BTW- The 2wd and the 4wd crewmax are the exact same hieght - but I am not sure if it will fit in your parking garage.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-15-2008, 9:56 AM Reply   
Dealers can't give you both incentives they simply don't make that decision the maker does. I'd love to see where Dodge is selling their trucks for 50% off MSRP there is no way they could do that you're talking about losing $15,000 plus per truck.

tlat, If you can get the kind of deal you are mentioning from Chevy I would take it for sure. You can't beat EP and 0% for 72 month's. Out of all the trucks you mentioned it is second best in my book and one hell of a nice truck.
Old    mendo247            07-15-2008, 10:09 AM Reply   
My buddy went and looked at a new Duramax last week. They told him 5K below their cost and %0 for 72 or 60 cant remember. They showed him exactly what they paid and everything, they also said they hadnt sold a Diesel in over 2 weeks and only like 2 others all month
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-15-2008, 10:31 AM Reply   
you should be able to get any v-8 truck way below invoice right now.
Old     (ef3529)      Join Date: Nov 2003       07-15-2008, 10:49 AM Reply   
Owned a Ford for 10 years and loved it. Just bought a new Dodge Crew 4x4 with the Hemi. LOVE it. Pulls much better than any Ford gas I have owned. I still like the Fords, Chevy's, and the new Toyota. BTW Nissan is doing away with the Titan and Dodge is building their truck in 2010 or 11. Can't beat lifetime warranty. Got 12,000 off the window sticker. Pick the one you like. It is your money.
Old     (evil0ne)      Join Date: Sep 2006       07-15-2008, 11:05 AM Reply   
carsdirect.com will give you a good idea of what a good value is. Take that number and knock $1-2K off and you have a good deal.
Old     (tlatoani)      Join Date: Oct 2007       07-15-2008, 11:32 AM Reply   
Just drove the Titan. I was pretty impressed with the interior. It felt a lot more car-like than the GM I drove. (the layout, not the ride necessarily).

I guess I'll keep workin the dealers. Someone will be desperate, right?
Old     (heem)      Join Date: Dec 2005       07-15-2008, 11:41 AM Reply   
I have the Dodge with CTD and absolutely love the truck. It pulls great. I had a Titan before and from the moment I hooked up the boat I said I should have bought a diesel. The Titan has an exceptionally strong motor but needs the RPM's to make it pull good. It just never inspired confidence while pulling, however, I have to pull mountain grades at 6000-8000ft.

The "Big 3" are having major problems because they put most of their eggs in the truck basket and of course that maket is crap right now. Given that, you should be able to find excellent deals just about everywhere. Two years ago I got $12,000 off the price on my truck, so I would think the deals would be as good or better right now. I have know idea which truck will fit your space needs, I have a 7' garage door and my truck fits just fine.

I would negotiate and great deal on a diesel then get a small commuter for general running around.
Old     (tlatoani)      Join Date: Oct 2007       07-15-2008, 12:45 PM Reply   
This part of Illinois is about as flat as my desk, so I'm not too worried. This will pretty much have to be my daily driver. I considered the 6L instead of the 5.3 from GM, but I haven't heard much about it. We tow with a 5.3L Tahoe and it does ok.

The parking garage at work is only ~6'5" tall, so it's going to be tough. I think the GM trucks are the lowest. The rest are all going to need a test-fit. I know some are not even close.
Old     (bstroop)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Athens, Alabama       07-15-2008, 1:10 PM Reply   
I love my 07 Ram CTD. Great power and mileage. The sheet metal is pretty thin though. Don't know how it compares to any other new ones.
Old     (bob_l)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-15-2008, 1:17 PM Reply   
Buddy of mine just took delivery on a Chevrolet 2500 HD, Crew, leather, Navigation, 4x4, Diesel. MSRP was $54K. Delivered to his door for $36K (new). Dealers are dumping Diesel inventory at a loss.
Old     (hayes)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-15-2008, 6:23 PM Reply   
Yeah, you should be able to get a loaded Chevy or GMC crew cab in the mid-20's. I would definitely shop around and take advantage of the market.
Old     (adam_balon)      Join Date: Jul 2003       07-15-2008, 6:34 PM Reply   
MY JACKED TUNDRA WORKS REAL GOOD FOR MY SUPRA 22SSV
Old     (04gravitygames)      Join Date: Jan 2006       07-15-2008, 6:42 PM Reply   
I have a good friend that has the 6L and he says it is the same pulling as the 5.3
Now unhook it and it is a strong truck. what is the CDT with dodge
Old     (04outback)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-15-2008, 6:59 PM Reply   
Titans are made down the street from me, great looking trucks, but I think their mileage is gonna be low on the list.
Chevy 5.3s have the best mileage of all the Gas trucks you mention... I tow with a tahoe too Tlat..05 w/ 114k and it's fine. (Mobius LSV..)
If you are looking at the 6.0, I'd consider taking the plunge on a chevy diesel if you could find the deal mentioned above.. We bought a Chevy 2500 HD Z71 last summer at work and got over $10k off then..
You are a minority right now looking for a truck. Decide what you want and drive around to several dealers. SOMEBODY will make you a smokin deal! We have about 10 Chevy dealers within 40 minutes of me. We bought 2 trucks at work a few years ago...and faxed RFQ's around and got the best deal thanks to much competition.. Get what you want, not what the best deal is..
Old     (bigjokerinthebox66)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-15-2008, 7:11 PM Reply   
adam, do you have a pic of your Tundra?
Old     (bstroop)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Athens, Alabama       07-16-2008, 6:57 AM Reply   
Chris,
It's Cummins Turbo Diesel (CTD)
Old     (goboating)      Join Date: May 2008       07-18-2008, 4:16 AM Reply   
Sept 1st there is another 5% available to the dealer for a carry over allowance. Most dealers will pass this along to move a truck. This is to help them offset their floorplan costs.
Old     (04gravitygames)      Join Date: Jan 2006       07-18-2008, 5:19 AM Reply   
SORRY, I SHOULD HAVE KNOWN THAT. THANKS B
Old     (hal2814)      Join Date: Feb 2006       07-18-2008, 7:39 AM Reply   
"I'd love to see where Dodge is selling their trucks for 50% off MSRP there is no way they could do that you're talking about losing $15,000 plus per truck."

50% off all Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cabs:

http://www.akinsdodge.com/New_Dacula_Car_Dealer_GA.html

The caveats are that you have to finance through Chrylser Financial and that Akins doesn't offer you squat for trade in. I bought my Mazda 6 over a year ago from Akins. It was a 2007 model I bought in November 2006 for 25% off MSRP plus rebates. They didn't try to jack me around with junk fees and what we talked about was what appeared on the sales doc. I wrangled a decent trade in for the old car after some arguing and initially financed through Mazda at 8% but my credit union let me get new rate for a refi since car was so new so that dropped it down to 6% after my first payment. From my experience with Akins I believe this 50% off deal to be mostly on the up and up.

That being said, if you really don't like Dodge, then it's not worth buying one at any price. Personally, I don't like the truck itself but am a fan of the 4.7L and their 545RFE transmission. The transmission is a world better than the old piece of junk tranny they put in there.

Another deal I was emailed from Mall of Georgia Chrysler a while back was for a 4-year lease on a Jeep Wrangler and a Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab for $450 per month for both of them together with nothing down. They're pretty desperate to get rid of Dodge trucks right now.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-18-2008, 7:50 AM Reply   
Atkins is making the offer not Dodge. Lost leaders typically are a pain in the ass but can be had if the vehicle is still there or ever was there. Wink, wink. These guys actually seem to be offering it on any truck on the lot so it may be pretty legit.
Old     (bradenb12)      Join Date: Jul 2005       07-18-2008, 8:16 AM Reply   
I don't know if you want a diesel but like Bob said they are literally giving them away right now. I bought mine last August (used 2005 loaded Duramax CC 4x4), got a pretty good deal on it but thats when diesel was like $2.80 a gallon which made more sense at the time. :-)
Old     (newmy79)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-18-2008, 8:24 AM Reply   
I just picked up an '06 Tundra Double Cab on Tuesday for a great price considering what it's worth. Definitely a GREAT truck! My choices when looking for a truck were between the Titan and the Tundra. I made the right decision by far. I posted a thread about the differences between the two trucks a while back to get some insight, opinions, and feedback from some owners here on the board and got a lot of great information from everyone. I don't own a boat so I haven't towed with it yet but it should do the job very nicely with any 20'-22' boat.

You're going to find a great deal on most trucks you look at for the simple fact that no one is buying them and they're looking to get rid of them.

Good luck on your decision and post up some pics when you pull the trigger. I'll try to post one of mine when I get back home from Chicago. I bought my truck and had to leave for business the next day!

Old     (brody66)      Join Date: Jul 2008       07-18-2008, 9:53 AM Reply   
I own a car used car dealership and let me tell you if i were in your position i would not buy a new truck, i know that the incentives are inticing but trucks are getting hammered right now and as soon as you buy the new truck and get the 72 month financing you had better plan on holding on to it for at least 4 years because it will take you at least that long to be right side up on the loan, i would not recomment the 6 year financing but i also would never do the 144 month on a boat. you can get some great deals on 07s with 20,000 miles on them, at the auction yesterday there was a LOADED 07 new body style duramax and it went for 29k, it was black, had nav, leather, sunroof, and you can get an 05-06 crew 1500 chevy with less than 50k on it for about 15, dont buy new unless you like loosing money
Old     (ironcross25)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-18-2008, 10:43 AM Reply   
15k for a brand new truck is a good deal anyway you look at it. If I could buy a couple year old truck for 15k with 20k or more on it or buy a new one with 0 I would def go for the new one. I think you will be upsidedown on any truck loan you get new or used unless you get a killer deal.
Old     (ironcross25)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-18-2008, 11:04 AM Reply   
well I just called dodge dealer by me and they say they only offer like 9k off so I dont know. Get what ever you like best. The way I see it if your buying a truck know you need one unless you just have a ton a cash to burn. If I didnt need a truck I would so buy the mpg car i could get.
Old     (gwnkids)      Join Date: Nov 2003       07-18-2008, 11:17 AM Reply   
0% for 72 at invoice cant beat 20 MPG duramax
Upload
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       07-18-2008, 11:28 AM Reply   
If you get employee from GM then don't worry about dealer invoice, you are thousands below that number. I would buy from your local dealer if you can - service and the fact he puts money back into your local economy.