Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 19, 2008

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-13-2008, 8:31 AM Reply   
How many of you link your boats together and share a signal? How many boats have you linked together?
How are you doing it. This is how I do it.

The boat that pushes the signal takes it directly from the back of the Head unit via RCA. The volume on the head unit is turned up to the point that it's pushing the strongest signal it can with out distortion. Then I can adjust or turn down the volume in my boat via the EQ. The RCA signal go's into the boat next to you. The signal can go into their AUX input on an EQ or Head unit directly. Its better if it can go into the Head unit. That way you can adjust the Volume in your boat Via the EQ not the head unit and turning down the volume doesn’t weaken the signal down the line the EQ in your boat adjusts the volume NOT the head unit. To pass it on again the signal need's to be split Via a RCA Y connection. This will be a single male into a double female. The signal gets split off and passed over to the next boat.
You want to pass a strong signal that’s NOT EQ'd or has been messed with. That would be a strong full range signal.
How are you guys with the WS-420 doing It.?
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       06-13-2008, 8:59 AM Reply   
You should try using balanced XLR connectors and active splitting boxes, you know, the way they do it with pro sound reinforcement, recording studios, broadcast studios, etc.

If you did this you wouldn't need a really hot signal from the head unit to get a low noise signal to the other boats.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-13-2008, 9:06 AM Reply   
I have 2 Audio Control BLX 10's They convert Balanced XLR signal to RCA you can push a signal Via a RCA or Cat 5 or XLR. This a not as simple a just passing a RCA. Its a cool way to do it but not alot of people are up for the challange.
Old     (jv210)      Join Date: Feb 2006       06-13-2008, 9:17 AM Reply   
Grant we do this all with just EQ's and RCA's. I think the most we have hooked up has been 7 or 8 boats. I carry a bunch or 20' RCA's and a lot of Y splitters.
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       06-13-2008, 9:23 AM Reply   
On the WS 420. There is an aux in (3.5 mm) jack and aux out (3.5 mm) jack. The aux out is amplified and is not affected by the eq.

So you pick which boat is the DJ. If you have boats on both sides, use a Y. If not.

Go from DJ boat. Using the Aux Out of the WS 420. Into the Aux in of the next boat. Out of his Aux out to the Aux in of the next boat and so on.

Daisy Chain them.

This allows each boat to still use there EQ volume and not have an EQ'd signal being sent to it. It is also whatever signal the main DJ boat has going to it. CD or I Pod etc...

Also, the mic does not pass to the next boats. (I figured this was best to keep the people who have had one too many off a microphone that goes to a ton of peoples systems)

It is very simple and the reason I did it on the WS 420 is so you don't have to make anything. Just go to radio shack and buy a 3.5 mm to 3.55 mm 10 to 15 fott cable etc...

Just make sure you friends are WS 420 Equipped.

We had 3 boats rocking on mem weekend. Works great. I was the DJ boat. Just be aware that you will have a ton of people jamming out to whatever you are playing. I was getting people saying next song and then people yelling, dude why did you change it

Upload

Tim
Wet Sounds
Old     (tigerules)      Join Date: Mar 2008       06-13-2008, 9:58 AM Reply   
I have an old FM modulator from a Pioneer CD player that we use. For some reason it seems to be really high powered in comparison to new FM modulators. It works up to about 100-150 yards. We have had about 30 boats at Havasu all playing at once. Not nearly as clean as your RCA systems, but way, way easier, strangers can even join in....}
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-13-2008, 10:16 AM Reply   
We are gonna do a Party At Tulloch. We are planning on linking all the boats together at the dock. The DJ's will be playing on land and they will push a signal to the docks and thats where we will take over. I know how we are gonna bring a signal to the dock's I was just trying to come up with a way we could all share a signal with out to much trouble.

This is gonna be event where you have 2 choices.
#1 You play the signal provided or #2 You dont play anything at all. The last thing I want is another CIE Spring Ride style of free for all where everyone at the docks is playing somthing diffrent and it sounds like a cluster F". SO if you Like House and Mash up's and wanna rock it save the Date July 19th At Lake Tulloch Upload
Old     (ldp_rider)      Join Date: Apr 2008       06-13-2008, 10:27 AM Reply   
We've had about 10 boats playing the same music with one boat using an FM transmitter and everyone else putting it on the same station, 88.1 or what ever signal comes in best.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-13-2008, 10:40 AM Reply   
There is some more info here and free music
Check out Brian's new mix "808 TRAIN"
BOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMM
http://www.myspace.com/brianbass1
Old     (tomfish)      Join Date: Apr 2003       06-13-2008, 1:28 PM Reply   
y splitters and rca's, we do it all the time i think 8 boat was the most we have done. It is like a club. Pretty cool when you walk from boat to boat and all have the same tunes blasting.
Old     (uofamox)      Join Date: Feb 2007       06-13-2008, 5:41 PM Reply   
I wish when we tied up people would link their stereos but out here everyone and their mom are "DJs". The one nice thing is that I can drownd out most systems and have not run out of power yet. It drive me nuts out here when people have to run their engine all day to keep their stereo going. Two weeks ago a boat tied up with about 25 others accidentally got thrown into full reverse. Two people got hurt but thankfully no one got killed.
Does anyone else deal with this stupidity?
With gas at $4.50+ a gallon here does it make any sense not to buy more batteries? Not to mention the safety concern.
Old     (jv210)      Join Date: Feb 2006       06-13-2008, 6:10 PM Reply   
Mox how long can you keep you system bumping? I've yet to see a big system bump all day without the engine running.
Old     (burbanized)      Join Date: Mar 2004       06-14-2008, 5:30 AM Reply   
See ya there G
Old     (cyclonecj)      Join Date: Jul 2001       06-14-2008, 8:38 AM Reply   
http://www.ccrane.com/radios/fm-transmitters/fm-transmitter.aspx
Old     (uofamox)      Join Date: Feb 2007       06-14-2008, 10:45 AM Reply   
I have yet to run out of batteries. I have gone 6+ hrs and my engine has turned over everytime. I have a fifth battery as a backup if I drain the primary battery bank.

My setup is ws420 eq, two 485s on the tower, two tens, two 6x9s, four 6.5s, four amps, four deep cycle batteries, eight computer case fans and one blower fan to bring in fresh air into the observer compartment where the amp rack is. RMS of the four amps is just under 3000.

I know this is not the biggest system out there but I can run all day. I love my eq because I can really turn down the horns on the tower when we tie up.
Old     (tanner)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-14-2008, 4:04 PM Reply   
Tim,

Am I correct in assuming you can just use the Aux Out of the WS-420 and plug into the Aux In on the back of the headunit if there's only one other boat tying up with you?
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       06-16-2008, 7:17 AM Reply   
Tanner,

Correct. Exactly. If everyone has WS 420, you can continue. But you can do it like you mention for one or maybe y to 2 boats etc..

Tim
Wet Sounds
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-16-2008, 7:49 AM Reply   
Hey Tim: We are gonna be bringing a signal down to the dock's. Thats not a problem. Im trying to come up with a quick and easy way for everyone comming to the event to share a signal. I have a few questions about the WS-420

I have been told that the more boats you link together (the more rca's that you pass down the line) the more line resistance grow's. Example let's say the line resistance at the first boat is
1 Ohm when you split and send the signal down the line the signal is less(gets weaker) and the line resistance grow's. I havent noticed a problem with linking 3-4 boats but was told any more than that and you start having problems with a signal thats pretty week and the line resistance is high enough that you get a crappy signal. Is this true? How many boats have you linked with a WS-420 and whats it like for the guy at the end of the line?

I like the Imput and Output 3.5mm jack's that you have on the front of the WS-420. I like the Eq that I have right now but might be intrested in getting a WS 420 just to making taking and passing a signal down the line.

is the line out signal that comes out of the WS-420 boosted and do you have the problems with line resistance that I described.

Thanks G
Old     (tl7)      Join Date: Feb 2005       06-16-2008, 9:50 AM Reply   
G, you know of anywhere I can download some of the BrianBASS stuff? Sounds pretty cool.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-16-2008, 9:59 AM Reply   
Yea Check out this link
www.djbrianbass.com

you can grab mixes from there or his Myspace
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-16-2008, 10:05 AM Reply   
If you go to the Parent Directory on the download page You can grab music there. You can expect mixes like 808 Train for the BUMP party on the 19th
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       06-16-2008, 10:15 AM Reply   
G,

We have done about 5 to 6 boats as well with no loss. You would still run into the resistance issue as you mention when really trying to push to multiple boats. 20 + etc...

When I designed the WS420. We looked at how we did it and this was about the norm of the max boats we were talking about. As it is rare to have as many boats as you will have at this event.

The WS 420 simplifies the linking process. You can have a jack for in and for out like Mikeski's. And it is a simple cable run with a 3.5 to 3.5 cable. So easier to run and use and cheaper than a decent RCA etc...

Tim
Wet Sounds
Old     (jv210)      Join Date: Feb 2006       06-16-2008, 10:43 AM Reply   
Grant count me in along with a couple more liquid trends boats.

We need RCA connections though.

When hooking up 8 boats in the past I haven't noticed a problems with the music quality.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-16-2008, 12:20 PM Reply   
Jason: Yea Rca's will work just fine. They way Im planning on working the event is getting a list of everyone that is comming. There are 28 slots to fill. I will bring a clean balanced signal to like 3 or 4 aera's of the dock via cat 5 and converted back into RCA.
You will take the RCA signal and pass it down the line. All boats need to be able to give and take a signal. I was thinking the WS-420 EQ's were a great way to do this because the unit makes it a no brainer into passing a signal down the line.
My boat is hooked up to give and take a signal so its no big deal.
Jason: How are you telling people to hook their RCA's to give ant take.

The way I have my'n hook up is like this. (To give a signal)
I am only using the front out put of my head unit to feed the EQ. The rear output of my head unit has a RCA that you can tap into to pass a signal.

(To give and take a signal) If im in between 2 boats I take the DJ's signal and plug it into my head units AUX imput and then run my head unit on AUX. This lets me give and pass a signal
Old     (jv210)      Join Date: Feb 2006       06-16-2008, 12:30 PM Reply   
I have a bunch of Y connectors, so each boat has 2 Y connectors plugged into their EQ's input, It easiest if all boats have some kind of eq.

So if I'm taking you RCA signal it would go into one side of my Y's, and from there out to the next boat into there y's and continue down the line.

Here's the picture of the y's I use.
Upload

(Message edited by jv210 on June 16, 2008)
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-16-2008, 12:46 PM Reply   
In a perfict world everyone would have a EQ and work their system like this. All head unit's Set to Zero. No Bass Boost ect.

Take the signal. Plug it into the head unit's AUX imput.
Turn your head unit all the up to where your system sounds good but its not in distortion mode. Adjust volume of your system threw the EQ not the Head unit.
Take that output from your head unit and plug it into a Y splitter with one signal going to your EQ and the other signal for the person next to you.

Or You can just take a signal put the splitter on it and push one to your head unit and one to the guy next to you.

I have found that if you take the signal and push it into and out of your head unit the guy next to you get's a stronger cleaner signal if your head unit has any line voltage.

I have had a bunch of boats all hooked together at once. Its awesome. You don't have to run your system very hard or loud at all. When everyone plays the same signal and sound is comming all over all your system need's to be is turned up just above Idle to be making lots of music.
Old     (w00taz)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-16-2008, 1:55 PM Reply   
It's not unreasonable to see there being upwards of 20+ amps running off one head unit in this scenario. Does anyone at this point recommend using a line driver or does the wetsounds unit have something built in it to repower the signal as it passes from system to system? Any audiophile thoughts on this?
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-16-2008, 4:47 PM Reply   
Im gonna have a 4 Audio Control BLX 10's at 4 diffrent points of the Dock. So at worst case 7 boats will have to share a signal. The BlX 10's are line driver's so the signal can be boosted depending on how many boats your pushing.
Here is a Pick of the Audio Control BLX-10 I have 4 of them but I could use some more for this event If anyone has a hook up or know's how I can get a hold of some more for this Please chime in.
Upload
Old     (norcalmalibu)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-16-2008, 9:52 PM Reply   
sounds like an interesting event! I think I just might have to attend. Is the event going to be held at the hotel?
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-17-2008, 7:30 AM Reply   
Nate: Yea get your boat hooked up so you can play. I wanted to get a hold of Ben(soundbox) and invite him as well.
Im inviting Liqued Trends, Neptunes, Chucktronics,
Kustom Car, and who ever else wants to be part of the event. Sorry if I left your name out but your invited as well. Get ahold of me and Ill get you what ever information you need. This is not a stereo comp it's a chill and relax and have fun with your boat and hook up with cool people event. It's gonna be the first of its kind as I know it so I could use what ever help people are willing to offer. "LETS DO THIS"
grantwest@gmail.com
As of Now, Its Me and the Bling Bling with my 4 W7's. Harold and his SAN with 4 W7's and Caesar With his SAN and 3 W7's Teddy with his SAN with 4 W7's Sam with his SAN and his 1 13W7 and HSE. Mike with his 211 and WetSounds and 1 -12Wetsound sub.
I know Benny will make it with his Centruion and 8-10's and Wetsounds. Ryan at Chucktronic's has some Bad a$$ system's, I hope Scott C show's up with his SAN and Ryans 220 full of Zapco and DD sub's. Jerry and his X2 with NVS and 6 12's And Joe M's X2 with a tower full of NVS and ARC.
Liqued Trends has some crazy systems, I know they will come out to play. Shawn Hammond and the MB come out and "Bring your record's" Its house music baby. So if you got it and wanna rock it your Invited come out and rock it with us.
Old     (norcalmalibu)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-17-2008, 8:34 AM Reply   
email sent, my boat goes back to Ben on July 7th to relocate the eq plus cut a whole in the walkway to vent some pressure. The subs kill the driver! they are extreamly loud so i'm trying to disperse some of the sound througout the boat.
Old     (j2c)      Join Date: Jun 2008       06-17-2008, 11:22 AM Reply   
A couple of friends and I recently added the Wetsounds ws-420 to our boats and I must say that this is the easiest way to link up boats that I've found so far. I've messed with every other method but when it comes down to it the last thing you want when you tie up and everyone is anxious to party is a mess. Y's 20' sections of rca dangling around not to mention m-m adaptors and everything else. I still carry some of them for the people who are using the deck's aux input but it still is a hastle. Spend the time midweek and hual your boat to your buddies house. Park the trailers side by side and measure out the lengths and cables needed. At minimum run something to BOTH sides of the boat so that you can pull up on either side or be a jumper boat for someone else. All in all Wetsounds IMO is the easiest way while still maintaining a decent quality signal.
Old     (jv210)      Join Date: Feb 2006       06-17-2008, 11:28 AM Reply   
JJ I've never seen or used the WS-420, but in the pictures above it looks like an EQ. Correct me if I'm wrong, but you still need RCA's or some kind of cable to go from boat to boat.
Old     (j2c)      Join Date: Jun 2008       06-17-2008, 11:41 AM Reply   
Yes the ws-420 is a eq or "preamp" the connection can be done like others are saying with rca's but the ws-420 uses a 3.5 mm jack (headphone sized) connections. On the back of the unit there in an aux input (if another boat is playing their stereo and want them to run your's plug their output in here), and there is an aux output (where you would be playing your stereo and run from here to your friends boat at which time you would control his stereo). Might sound complicated but usually no more than 10' of 3.5 mm cable is required. You will want male connections on both ends if each of you are running the same setup. MAKE SURE YOU BUY A BALANCED CABLE, unbalanced cables will drop a channel and you will only be sending half the signal needed. Easiest way to see this is looking at the tip of the male connector it should have two black lines NOT one.
Old     (jv210)      Join Date: Feb 2006       06-17-2008, 11:52 AM Reply   
I dont plan on getting the WS-420 because I already have an ARC EQ that works great. The only thing the WS has on the ARC is that it takes a 3.5mm cable as an input and has a mic. Either way you still need cables DANGLING going from boat to boat.
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       06-17-2008, 1:34 PM Reply   
To clarify. The WS 420 is 2 EQ's in one. It has separate eq for the tower and separate eq for the boat. With 2 volumes, one for the tower and one for the boat.

So the WS 420 is like having 2 separate eq's and the microphone.

So it is all that in one unit. With the addition of the boat link output. (yes you still need a cable between the 2, but as JJ mentioned, it is a 3.5 mm to 3.5 mm which is an easier way IMO to link them)

Tim
Wet Sounds
Old     (norcalmalibu)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-17-2008, 4:01 PM Reply   
Just booked my room! This sounds like a fun event for sure.
Old     (ponte_06_x2)      Join Date: Jan 2006       06-17-2008, 5:20 PM Reply   
dam g. looks like jl will be in affect. nice little group of boats.
Old    Ben Kerran            06-17-2008, 5:28 PM Reply   
G- I am trying to move some things around so that I can make it on the 19th. I have been waiting for you to put something like this together, looks like a great time and I get to see all the NORCAL heavy hitters (BOOM). Sounds like a blast!!
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-17-2008, 5:39 PM Reply   
Ben and Jerry make it happen. If you have never got a chance to hear what it sounds like when everyone is hooked together your in for a treat. Sound is all around you. Best thing is you don't have to play your system very loud. Your not competing with other systems your just joining in so you can kick back and either play or not play your not burning up the batterys cause you don't have to play over anyone.
P.S you guys should get together and make some Ice Cream.
Old     (norcalmalibu)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-17-2008, 6:45 PM Reply   
hopefully my two little bostons can keep up
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       06-17-2008, 6:47 PM Reply   
Since my WS-420 is flush mounted the back of the unit is not easily accessible. Most of my friends give/take RCAs so I just made a panel with patch plugs. I have several options depending on what I want to do. Aux input to Clarion, pre-out from Clarion, direct in to WS-420, direct out of WS-420. I can also go direct into the Revolution Volume control which is between the Clarion and the WS-420. I also have a h2oWaves remote control that runs the Clarion so I can turn the volume up/down or mute from 100' away from the boat.

Upload
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-17-2008, 7:37 PM Reply   
Mikeski, is that a LED ring around the cup holder? Nice looking install on the 420 maybe you should have a couple 3.5's plugged in, rolled up and tucked away ready to party.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       06-17-2008, 10:33 PM Reply   
I have a nice 25' RCA cable rolled up in the glove box. None of my friends have WS-420's YET. The 25' is long enough to loop under a finger dock at the marina.
Old     (jwag)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-18-2008, 10:11 AM Reply   
Thread hijack. Mikeski, what is that little handle above the throttle? Sorry, haven't been to a boat show in a while.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       06-18-2008, 6:36 PM Reply   
jetavator control

seriously it's a Nautique hydrogate control for changing the shape of the wake forward = round corners, back = square corners
Old     (norcalmalibu)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-09-2008, 11:04 AM Reply   
So any roll call yet on who is showing up?
Old    Ben Kerran            07-09-2008, 2:28 PM Reply   
Im in with my Centurion and my buddy's Sanger that BUMPS. We will be up Friday mornin. G- Let me know what I can help with.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-09-2008, 5:09 PM Reply   
Hey guy's I have a list of people in no particular order that will be a part of the event. We have room for 24 boats’ you must be signed up to be a part of the event. Everyone is welcome. All I ask is that you sigh up in advance and commit (No Flake's)
Here is a list of some of the people that will be attending. Please E-mail me so I can add you to the list and get your the detail's

1.Grant West (AirNautique)
2.Harold Figiman (SAN)
3.Caesar Romaro (SAN)
4.Mike Jolley (Nautique 211)
5.Troy lindstrom (SAN)
6.Jason Kranz (MC 209)
7.Jerry Ponte (MC X2)
8.Jonny Neves (Malibu VLX)
9.Eric E (Malibu VLX)
10.Ryan Noris (Nautique 220)
11.Scott Chocran (SAN 210)
12.Dustin Long (VLX)
13.Andre Orsono (SAN 220)
14.Brian Mitchel (Malibu VLX)
15.Nate (Sanger 215)
16.Benny 8-Ten's (Centurion)

I will be sending Dave W a press release on the event with all the details. Check the New’s Section or E-mail Me grantwest@gmail.com

P.S Go to WWW.DJBRIANBASS.COM for Free Music Mix's
and Myspace details
Old     (ponte_06_x2)      Join Date: Jan 2006       07-09-2008, 8:58 PM Reply   
yea. my boy 8 tens. nice. cant wait fellas. im bringing some hommies from my neck of the woods. good tunes, good systems and good times.
Old     (lukeduke95)      Join Date: May 2002       07-14-2008, 12:38 PM Reply   
This is going to be cool to check out. I may be up there, gotta see what the plan is for this weekend at work. (We have a huge music fest coming to the downtown that I manage) It sounds like I may be able to pass the buck to someone else.

I've only got two little 10's, but a whole arsenal of 6x9's!
Old     (w00taz)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-14-2008, 2:08 PM Reply   
wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy OT but the brian bass 808 boom track @ 46:10 to the end is EPIC! lol I have to admit I used to be a scottsdale club whore for the music. the electronica passion will never leave my blood but that scene is sooooo gay. I wouldn't be caught dead there now. I was dragged in by a buddy who lives in DC and "saw this guy from florida named George Acosta" and told me to check him out. I like the housey stuff but dip into some of the super hardcore DnB occassionally. I still have a visit to Sensation White on the list of "things to do before I die" even though the list of DJ's and the music has faded in quality and quantity imo. Ferry Corsten will always be one of my personal favorites.

Grant I read in another post you were looking for quality house rips. Check out Armin Van buuren's "A state of trance" There's high quality rips all over the internet of them.