Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 19, 2008

Old     (crushing76)      Join Date: Feb 2007       07-22-2008, 8:11 PM Reply   
I'm looking at buying a new (to me) boat, and there are a few things cosmetically wrong with it. I'm looking for some opinions on how hard it is to fix these things, and possibly how much it will cost.

The teak is obviously dry, but is it past the point of no return? Is that cracked board fixable?Upload

It looks like a cat scratched the vinyl.. Would I just have to buy a whole new lid?Upload

Are there supposed to be cushions that fit in these locations? If so, does anybody know how much it would cost to buy some?Upload
Upload

And finally, if I cant get the carpet clean, is replacement carpet reasonably priced?
Old     (crushing76)      Join Date: Feb 2007       07-22-2008, 8:12 PM Reply   
OH, does anyone have any idea what that black piece is in front of the glove box, right under the windshield?
Old     (jayson_49)      Join Date: May 2007       07-22-2008, 8:39 PM Reply   
i've read a couple of topics about restoring a teak platform. that doesn't look to bad. u may be able to replace the glovebox cover and order a bow filler cushion but that is the transom walk thru...does not have a cushion...as far as that black piece, there is an air vent directly in front of that below the windshield..not exactly sure about that but i know there is a hose directly beneath that piece...hope this helps some.......good luck!!
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-22-2008, 8:41 PM Reply   
The teak isn't gone, but judging from the cracking on the edges of the boards I would just replace it all if it were me though for sure replace the one board closest to the transom. You could bring it back, but the teak that Centurion uses is a dry looking teak to begin with if that makes sense at all. There is a bow filler cushion to fit in there don't know what it would cost but say around 3-400 from the dealer. That boat should have snap out carpet so pull it out and power wash it and use a steel /brass brush is it is really soiled. You can have a seat custom made for the Walkthrough in the transom, but it is not a "factory" option. The black thing in front of the winshield is the vent and the glove box is an easy full replacemet rather than a repair.

Cant give you a price on the cost for the glove box. But judging from the pics I would say and 001-02 Centurion Avalanche

I would say it isn't hard to get that thing clean, but I would be worried that they never took care of the engine either after seeing how the interior looks, but if the price is right there ain't nothing a little hard work can't fix to get that thing shining
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-22-2008, 8:45 PM Reply   
I think it is a cover for the vents that go down into the bilge.

I don't really think Teak is ever past the point of no return. I am not sure how you could fix that cracked board other than screwing it down and sanding it smooth.

Carpet should clean up ok.

Vinyl looks a little worn. Maybe just needs to be cleaned really well and sun bleached. Then use lots of conditioner like 303 or Babes.

The glove box should be a cheap replacement. It is just a molded piece of plastic. You can even reuse the hardware if you need to.

If the boat is the right price and you are willing to put in some elbow grease and a little money it may be a diamond in the rough. On the other hand if the owner neglected the boat mechanically as bad as they did cosmetically it may turn to be a nightmare boat.
Old     (crushing76)      Join Date: Feb 2007       07-22-2008, 10:06 PM Reply   
Brett, funny you said "diamond in the rough".. That's what the mechanic I'm having look at it said. He doesn't know much about inboards though. Mainly I/O's. Is there anything I should ask them to look at SPECIFICALLY? The only thing above and beyond a normal check I asked for was a compression check...

It is a 2004 centurion avalanche with less than 65 hours. How does 28k sound for a boat in this condition?

Another question.... How hard is it to take the wakeplate it has, Upload and make it a hydrolic wakeplate? Is it worth it, or should I just keep this? I have absolutely no idea how the manual one works, but I do know I loved the hydrolic wakeplate on my last boat.

FYI, I will be doing 90% wakesurfing, 10% chillin.

Upload
Upload
Upload

It seems like a fair price to me. I'm just concerned that it hasn't been used ENOUGH. Seems like with a little elbow grease, I can have this baby shining in no time!!!

Another ???... If I remove the decals, will it leave a "shadow" where it once was? can it be buffed and waxed enough to make it look like a decal was never there?
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-22-2008, 10:40 PM Reply   
Any shadow in the glass can be buffed and/or wetsanded out pretty easily.... especially on white.

You might need to go thru the engine & replace all the belts & hoses... typical for boats that don't get used much.

Definitely have the motor & trans gone thru by your mechanic.

Have you run the boats value thru Nada or KBB yet? That should give you some place to start as to it's value.
Old     (ttuclint)      Join Date: Sep 2003       07-22-2008, 11:19 PM Reply   
Knock the chip off the teak, sand it down and oil it up using the star brite teak kit.

I am sure the engine and everything is just fine with those hours, we are only talking about a 4 year old boat here people.

Clean everything up for practically no cost and you have a sweet boat on your hands. Don't let the worry warts scare you off of it for no real reason.
Old     (crushing76)      Join Date: Feb 2007       07-22-2008, 11:54 PM Reply   
I can't find centurion anywhere on NADA?
Old     (islander033)      Join Date: May 2008       07-23-2008, 12:30 AM Reply   
Try looking under "Ski Centurion".
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-23-2008, 7:50 AM Reply   
By Clint Rice (ttuclint) on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 - I am sure the engine and everything is just fine with those hours, we are only talking about a 4 year old boat here people.

Clean everything up for practically no cost and you have a sweet boat on your hands. Don't let the worry warts scare you off of it for no real reason.

When dropping $20k or $30k down on a toy, I'd be sure what I was buying was in descent condition.

In 1999, I bought a 1994 MC 205 with 59 hrs on it. It had been stored in a barn in Pendleton, OR most of it's life. Most of the problems I ran into over the 6 or 7 yrs I owned it had to do with dried out & cracked hoses & belts, dry rotted threads in the interior & covers, cracked plastics, and fuel lines being clogged or brittle.
It was a great boat after that all got replaced. And the price was right.
Just cover all your bases so you know what your getting into.
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-23-2008, 7:53 AM Reply   
If you aren't going to wakeboard much, I wouldn't worry about automating the wake plate as the surf wave, which is very good, is a lot less sensitive to the plate settings than the wakeboard wake is. You could swap it and I'm pretty sure Centurion used Bennett trim tabs / pistons and you can look in aftermarket supplies for one of the right size or go through a Centurion dealer. I have the manual plate and it is easy to adjust but obviously you can't adjust it while under power.

Ditto - on saving teak but I wouldn't replace boards, just / cut and sand any splintered pieces. Also I'm not a fan of regular teak oils as they require too much maintenance. Teakguard requires a lot less maintenance.

Has it been used in the salt? Not that it would be a deal breaker, but a salt engine without proper prep would concern me.

Do all the electrical components work? If mechanically sound it seems like a good price to me.
Old     (crushing76)      Join Date: Feb 2007       07-23-2008, 3:04 PM Reply   
AtTheLake,

never in salt. The mechanic is looking at all the electrical and mechanical stuff this week. so far, he has only checked it out cosmetically.

I just wanted to put this out there to see if anyone has any thoughts for specific questions, or things I should be looking at specifically.
Old     (pennery)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-23-2008, 5:43 PM Reply   
It actually looks like it is on a decent trailer as well..
Old     (formfunction)      Join Date: Jun 2008       07-23-2008, 7:54 PM Reply   
That deck is iroko wood not teak.

(Message edited by formfunction on July 23, 2008)
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       07-23-2008, 8:35 PM Reply   
If your going to surf on the starboard goofy side then a bennett trim tab will help a lot.

The Avy is a great surf boat.
Old     (crushing76)      Join Date: Feb 2007       07-24-2008, 10:01 AM Reply   
bigshow,

It's pretty muck going to be port side only... I have no experience with a manually adjustable plate. I hope it's not a beating.

Ryan,

What is iroko wood? is it similar to teak? what's the difference?
Old     (formfunction)      Join Date: Jun 2008       07-24-2008, 5:53 PM Reply   
Iroko is a african wood that has a lot in common with teak but not half as strong.Most times you can tell Iroko from the cracks and shrinkage on the edges.I can tell a difference in the color and the grain.
The reason its used on boats is because its cost affective and nobody knows the difference.
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-24-2008, 6:36 PM Reply   
You can replace the manual plate with the bennet trim tab. However you will have to do some fiberglass work since the mounting holes are not the same. the plate is bolted through the bottom of the boat.

I think you will end up with a great boat

I don't believe this is true!

"That deck is iroko wood not teak. "

You could also buy the new Large fiberglass platform that Centurion now has as standard equipment on that Avy

Upload
Old     (formfunction)      Join Date: Jun 2008       07-24-2008, 7:07 PM Reply   
I don't know man that doesn't look like teak to me.That picture is a dead ringer for iroko.I don't think you could make real teak crack like that and Im certain it won't on a boat that new.
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-24-2008, 7:24 PM Reply   
When they used Teak platforms as Standard equipment they always called them well teak
Old     (formfunction)      Join Date: Jun 2008       07-24-2008, 7:52 PM Reply   
Thats why people don't know any better.
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-24-2008, 8:03 PM Reply   
I think we will just have to disagree.
Old     (crushing76)      Join Date: Feb 2007       07-24-2008, 9:50 PM Reply   
i think you guys should arm wrestle to determine whose right!

I'm pretty stoked about getting it. I've been trying to make it happen for several months now and it looks like it's finally going to happen. NOW THAT THE SEASON IS ALMOST OVER!!!

I like the look of teak, but i'm not sure about the maintenance. I'll probably just try to rehab what I have, and if it's too much work I'll get a fiberglass deck.

thanks for the help guys.
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-25-2008, 12:12 AM Reply   
If you want an easy solution to not deal with the teak on a regular basis clean it good with teak cleaner and sand it and clean it again. Then put some Sikkens(brand) teak sealer on it. Won't have to touch it for at least a year. Just make sure you get the silica Granuals to put in there otherwise it will be slick as hell. HEre's what mine looks like

No maintainance at all all season long. I will have made it 2 seasons without having to do anything to it, but after the board wear it will need a new coat this season, but I still have over half a can left.

Upload
Upload
Old     (mars)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-25-2008, 2:41 AM Reply   
small item but there are strainer baskets that are supposed to be on the three ballast intakes above the exhausts.
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-25-2008, 7:11 AM Reply   
accidently hit the send button sorry

(Message edited by xstarrider on July 25, 2008)
Old     (jayson_49)      Join Date: May 2007       07-25-2008, 8:15 AM Reply   
Looks like just some minor wear and tear but 28K seems like a decent price for an 04 Avy w/under 65 hrs. Oh and it looks like it has the snap in boat cover..good feature. But once u get it all cleaned up, tuned up and ready for the water, you'll have to deal with that port side wash issue!!!!haha!!
Old    jahgs06            07-25-2008, 1:35 PM Reply   
Rhino line the swim platform, here is a picture of my swim platform on our Centurion. Cost was $100.00 and never have to worry about it and looks super.Upload
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-25-2008, 2:08 PM Reply   
Jason
That wash is easy to take care of, plus he is going to be surfin not boarding.
Old     (jayson_49)      Join Date: May 2007       07-25-2008, 8:50 PM Reply   
he shud use the $$ saved buying this boat and spend the extra 5k on the switchblade for surfin...

Swatguy, how did u get rid of your wash when u had an Avy?
Old     (crushing76)      Join Date: Feb 2007       07-26-2008, 8:55 PM Reply   
ya, i could care less about the wakeboarding wake... i'll maybe take 4 sets per season. i'm going to have to sell most of my gear so i can get a few more surf boards.

i really so think teak looks sharp, but we'll just have to see about the maintenance. if its something i can do once a winter i'll be ok.

jeff and swatguy, both of those platforms look good, and thanks for the advice.

jayson, can you put a switchblade on a used boat?? i'm sure with enough money, you can do anything, but is it really 5g's?
Old     (jayson_49)      Join Date: May 2007       07-27-2008, 8:34 AM Reply   
I was quoted 5k by a cent dealer for the switchblade at a boat show, i have an 07-not much different than the 04 ur lookin at but then he said that i may as well upgrade to an enzo if i am going to pay 5k more for a better surf wake, but that's a dealer talkin tryin to make a sale..
Old     (sailing216)      Join Date: Oct 2007       07-27-2008, 11:50 AM Reply   
Check out the wave on a boat with the blade. I have one and I'd say only if you ride Goofy does it really matter when surfing. It will clean up the Port side too, but you can get a clean wave without the blade at all. FYI, the 04' Avy is reinforced for the blade out of the factory. But is it worth $4k-$5k for you???? Unless you want a clean wave on the Goofy side, I'd say save your money.

Check out the prop. For surfing and the 350 Mag, you'll want either a 14.25"-13" prop. If you have the 17" than it will struggle with ballast (it'll have pretty good top end). For the props mentioned for surfing, your WOT speed will be about 40mph. go over to www.centurioncrew.com and we can answer more specific questions.
Old     (crushing76)      Join Date: Feb 2007       07-27-2008, 7:57 PM Reply   
I'm definitely not going to jump right into the deep end and drop 4 or 5 g's on a switchblade...

I DO however, plan on putting a good sound system, LED's all over the place, (even under the swim deck) and perfect pass if it doesn't have it. I'll probably have to bite the bullet and pay somebody to do the perfect pass. I'll also be giving her a good bath and some much needed TLC.

Of course I'll post pics and ask for a ton of advice when doing these projects too!

Good ol' W.W.
Old     (crushing76)      Join Date: Feb 2007       07-27-2008, 7:58 PM Reply   
Oh, FAE is going to be one of the first purchases too.
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-27-2008, 8:02 PM Reply   
the avy liked more weight on the passender side. Due to the deep V and the torque of the prop the boat likes more weight on the passenger side. It's their quirk. They have to be weighted just right or they get that curl. The touchyness is just what you have to deal with for the great surf wake and sweet ride in the chop.
JAYSON
I had the Hydro Wakeplate. Set that thing up all the way, if not just a tap it down just a bit til the meter moves to clean it up. I ran 400-500lbs in the front, the stock center and swapped out the rear tanks with 400lb bags.

I will second the new wake specific props from Acme. Especially for surf and wake with heavily weighted boats.

I also ride and surf goofy. Never had a problem with a bad wake especially for surfin.