Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through April 17, 2008

Old     (litlone873)      Join Date: Jan 2005       02-14-2006, 10:54 AM Reply   
Do you think wakeboarding will ever become an Olympic sport? It sure would make watching the summer Olympics more interesting.
Old     (hoosairboy)      Join Date: Aug 2005       02-14-2006, 11:01 AM Reply   
doubtful-- There is no motorized sport in the Olympics. So the boat pulling the rider makes it tough. The IWSF has been trying for years to get skiing in but that has been the problem.
Old     (jcv)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-14-2006, 11:41 AM Reply   
yeah, skiing will have to be accepted long before wakeboarding ever gets considered. if it does ever happen, it would be a master's style contest with no rails or obstacles. i don't think we'll ever see an event at the olympics that involves grinding or sliding--whether it be on the water, on the slopes, or in the halfpipe--in our lifetime.

(Message edited by JcV on February 14, 2006)
Old     (litlone873)      Join Date: Jan 2005       02-14-2006, 11:42 AM Reply   
Yet we get to watch Curling... something is wrong with this world.
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       02-14-2006, 11:44 AM Reply   
I would say if its got a chance it would be cable not behind the boat.
Old     (jcv)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-14-2006, 11:54 AM Reply   
even cable would be considered a machine. the olympics always tries to portray a man vs. man or man vs. nature atmosphere. wakeboarding has about as much chance to be an olympic sport as skateboarding or surfing--which is to say, none
Old     (magellan)      Join Date: Feb 2003       02-14-2006, 11:55 AM Reply   
The pull is too variable. No two pulls are exactly the same so it can't be judged the way they like.
Cable would make the pulls consistant but I doubt greatly it would happen. Plus rail stuff only is boring.
Old     (rmcronin)      Join Date: Aug 2002       02-14-2006, 12:24 PM Reply   
Maybe if the French could drive the boats.
Old     (bassmanjoshis)      Join Date: Feb 2005       02-14-2006, 12:40 PM Reply   
I think too that the sport isn't exclusive to any certain countries right now, so in having it in the olympics wouldn't make much of a difference except metals would pretty much go to othe US, Canada or Australia prolly. Don't get me wrong, iwould LOVE to watch it in there, but i don't think it will happen.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       02-14-2006, 12:45 PM Reply   
how is equestrian stuff in the olympics? that is more about having a super expensive horse than a good rider.
Old     (tings00)      Join Date: Aug 2005       02-14-2006, 1:03 PM Reply   
they have rifle shooting and archery in the olympics and that uses a maching so why not a fully loaded malibu 247, same differnce right
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       02-14-2006, 2:02 PM Reply   
exactly. aren't ski boots and running shoes machinery?

haha but i don't like watching boarding comps as it is, I'd rather be in the boat, so I could really care less if it was in the olympics
Old     (ak4life)      Join Date: Nov 2003       02-14-2006, 2:21 PM Reply   
apparently, water skiing had been in the olympics, check out the "PAST SPORTS LIST" at the bottom of this page: http://www.olympic.org/uk/sports/past/index_uk.asp

water skiing is currently on the list of "recognized sports", along with surfing:
http://www.olympic.org/uk/sports/recognized/index_uk.asp

here's some info on what it takes for a sport to become an olympic event: http://www.olympic.org/uk/news/olympic_news/full_story_uk.asp?id=1309

IMO, so long as wakeboarding laks powerful sponsorship to push it through the bureaucracy of the IOC event selection process, it'll never be an olympic event.

Old     (big_b)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-14-2006, 4:22 PM Reply   
the olympics needs something interestin. dont get me wrong, curling is keeps me on the edge on my seat, but its not good enough. they put the halfpipe in there which is pretty cool though. i personally think that it doesnt really belong in the olympics. it should stay in the x-games. its like putting freestyle motocross in the olympics...they just dont belong. in my opinion, the only events worth sitting down and watching are skiing(speed, long distance jump) and the bobsled type ones like luge and skeleton. sorry, but figure skating doesnt really get me that excited
Old     (dmcguirt23)      Join Date: Aug 2004       02-14-2006, 5:56 PM Reply   
isnt this a repost? seems like i remeber this same thing talked about 2 years ago.
Old     (hires_55)      Join Date: Aug 2005       02-14-2006, 6:10 PM Reply   
At least they now have the half pipe snow boarding comp...not too mention the US men & women pretty much kicked ass!
Old     (wkbrdr)      Join Date: Jan 2006       02-14-2006, 9:07 PM Reply   
they could never do it because they would have to use a boat that is mad by a company...which would be seen...that why most snowboards, where painted all black, or custome made...excep the bottom, they have to do this or they are dQed
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       02-14-2006, 10:03 PM Reply   
MJW, is that true? because the skiers are still showing the brands on their ski's
Old     (jillyjam)      Join Date: Feb 2006       02-15-2006, 6:15 AM Reply   
Wakeboarding should be a Olympic sport as the athletes are considered professionals and sanctioned by an official organization...heck the snowboarders in Torino show off their sponsor apparel (helmets, goggles and boards), so it is definitely a marketing event
Old    low_key_wake            02-15-2006, 1:30 PM Reply   
Nike could help, for once...
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       02-15-2006, 1:34 PM Reply   
"Cable would make the pulls consistant but I doubt greatly it would happen. Plus rail stuff only is boring."

SoCalRider, why do you think that rail stuff is all they do on the cable? Ever seen a Double-S to blind behind the boat?