Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through April 25, 2006

Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-06-2006, 11:05 PM Reply   
...the female pro and up-and-coming riders?

the dpc films crew is off to florida next week for the first film session with the female pro riders of wakeboarding as well as the up-and-coming riders for the upcoming dvd, The Chick Flick.

if there was 1 question you guys could ask the riders, what would it be? (besides, "hey, wanna go out?")
Old     (eternalshadow)      Join Date: Nov 2001       03-06-2006, 11:13 PM Reply   
How do you prepare yourself for a ride? Do you go through a physical/mental routine or something otherwise?
Old     (loudontn)      Join Date: Feb 2005       03-07-2006, 12:26 AM Reply   
I posted the same thing on the other board this was asked, but I'll repeat it here, it's all good:

Who are your influences, and how long have you rode?
Old     (olddude)      Join Date: Oct 2003       03-07-2006, 4:50 AM Reply   
Hi Joe,

Have you gotten a hold of Heather Johnson? She trained with Justin for a while a couple of years ago, she won her her first pro tour she entered, she's real good on the rails. I can put you in touch with her.

Craig Butinsky
Old     (foxrepdc)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-07-2006, 6:09 AM Reply   
Make sure you head up to Carolina and get up with Maeghan Major! She's awesome....on and off the water! I know Maeghan's routine pretty well, but I'd like to know what some of the other female pro's do besides riding, ie work, school. There are a lot less females that make a living at wakeboarding than the men ,so it'd be intersting to know what all they are into outside of the sport. Lifestyle stuff is always cool to see.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       03-07-2006, 6:33 AM Reply   
are you a level 10 gymnast?
Old     (goinbigg17)      Join Date: Jul 2002       03-07-2006, 9:00 AM Reply   
My place or yours?
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       03-07-2006, 9:15 AM Reply   
where do you see the state of womens wakeboarding in 5-10 years?
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       03-07-2006, 5:31 PM Reply   
What tricks will you be working on in order to help women's wakeboarding progress so that Dallas is not the only person winning the major competitions.
Old     (azwakekid)      Join Date: Apr 2005       03-07-2006, 6:02 PM Reply   
wanna makeout?
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-07-2006, 6:17 PM Reply   
Whats your bra size?

Craig: Heather is allready in it. I hope they film her at the projects, she's pretty good on those rails.....for a girl, lol. Nah, she kicks ass.
Old     (criswb)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-07-2006, 7:16 PM Reply   
Did you ever have a time when you thought you couldn't progress, or were stuck in the learning process? if so, what helped you through it?

Old     (oldguy)      Join Date: Nov 2001       03-07-2006, 8:11 PM Reply   
If you are coming to Florida, you might want to check out Kayla C. and Merritt Girls..

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/1/288660.html?1141693478

Old     (oldguy)      Join Date: Nov 2001       03-07-2006, 8:12 PM Reply   
OOPs Kayla Chojnacki
Old    xtremebordgurl            03-08-2006, 1:38 PM Reply   
Where would you like to see women's wakeboarding and what do you see as major roadblocks that are preventing it from happening?
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       03-08-2006, 5:21 PM Reply   
Joe, you know me well enough to know what I would ask. Probably best to leave me out of it. It would probably look something like this though.....

Upload
Old     (waterdork88)      Join Date: Aug 2005       03-09-2006, 2:11 PM Reply   
did it hurt?
did what hurt?
when you fell from heaven

are you tired?
no why?
because you have been running through my mind all day

if i told you that you have a hot body...would you hold it against me?
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-17-2006, 12:27 PM Reply   
Joe,
I REALLY like what you guys are doing with the web site, and the way you are setting up and presenting the film at this stage is way cool and I think highlights your professionalism in a nice way.

Unfortunately, this thread highlights a dilemma that you will encounter in terms of what degree of objectification or "sexism" you will imply in the production and editing. It's a fine line, and an ambiguous one. In a way, you're damned if you do, damned if you don't. Avoid making it sexy, and some of the guys will complain and show less interest. Make it too sexy, and it becomes disrespectful to the riders and thus defeats it's own purpose. I don't know the answer.

So my 2 questions to the riders would be as follows:

1) Given that we live in a society where the entertainment industry often is crass, superficial and objectifies women in order to make a fast buck (e.g., "Girls Gone Wild"), do you feel that women wakeboarders fall victim to the same sorts of problems within our industry, or to the contrary, do you generally feel you are respected for your athletic abilities as much as you should be?

2) Given the pressures on us (you) as filmmakers to make a video that respects the women and puts their athletic accomplishments foremost, but at the same time manages to get the young guys all fired up and excited, how best would you as a woman suggest that we the filmmakers try to pull this off? Can you provide us some suggestions about how best to strike this balance? In other words, how can we make it a bit sexy and fun for the guys but in a way that still works for the girls and keeps them feeling good about how are portrayed and respected. How can you ladies help us out with advice regarding this dilemma?

Guys, I am SO STOKED to see how this things turns out! I think it's gonna be an awesome project!

Peace,
Docta Octagon, paramedic fetus from the east with priests, I'm from the church of the operating room...
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-17-2006, 12:31 PM Reply   
Let's hear from some WakeWorlders about this question. Despite what has been demonstrated on this particular thread thus far, I know there are many intelligent, thoughtful and mature members out there. Let's hear your opinions about this! Guys and girls, what's your take on this issue?
Old     (joshugan)      Join Date: Apr 2005       03-17-2006, 1:40 PM Reply   
Because a lot of daughters and younger sisters of people that wakeboard will probably be seeing this I would ask:

What did you want to be when you grew up?

What do you want to be now? (is there any difference?)

Has wakeboarding made you more confident?

What was the scariest part of wakeboarding when you first started?

I think this is an awesome idea for a video but I do have one major complaint:

I have consistently seen Joe be a real jerk to many people, including girls, on here and on wakeboarder.com. Not just snide comments but over the top bullying. Even though I have a younger sister who loves to wakeboard with me I will have a hard time supporting this film (if I even do) because of the way one of the makers has treated people.
Old     (jason_ssr)      Join Date: Apr 2001       03-17-2006, 1:44 PM Reply   
I dont think its an issue with those being filmed per se. Remember, its never the hot models that feel objectified, its the house frau that is annoyed that her husband takes such interest in it. The sexiness of the gender is going to come out no matter how it is filmed. Female athletes are going to look great, they are after all in peak shape. To top it off with skills and progression is going to be extremely attractive regardless. To attempt to downplay it would be an injustice as well.

Their riding is legit and it will speak for itself. Ive never met a person who didnt want any of the media taken of them to have an understated sexiness about it.

Old     (jason_ssr)      Join Date: Apr 2001       03-17-2006, 1:46 PM Reply   
Then again, maybe a mandatory Sara Cline redo is in order. All you old schoolers will know about that....
Old     (twakess)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-17-2006, 2:12 PM Reply   
I am with Jason G, redo on Sara Cline. old schooler
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       03-17-2006, 2:18 PM Reply   
ditto the sara cline redo. she rocked!
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-17-2006, 3:14 PM Reply   
Josh,
Point acknowledged, but if you take a close look, I think you might find evidence that said filmmaker's more recent behavior has been different since he has been involved with this project. Perhaps time will demonstrate that the project has helped bring about a "kinder, gentler" and more reserved J. From your comments I'm assuming you would view such behavior change to be a positive thing, am I correct?

And nevermind the thong (although it was indeed nice to look at), I say Sarah rocked more so because she was the first chick to be grabbing her inverts and tweaking out all her moves, also first female to stick a whirly on film. Check out her section in Beyond 3, she was rocking solid double grabs even way back then, and her toeside backrolls had the style of Scott Byerly's.
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-17-2006, 3:17 PM Reply   
BTW, good questions, Josh.
Keeping it real with the emotional aspects of fear and confidence, and the best questions are those that lead to stories from the riders.
Old     (rmcronin)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-18-2006, 7:21 AM Reply   
Forget us, the input should be from the riders and let sales dictate its success.
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-18-2006, 11:44 AM Reply   
"forget us" (?)

I'm not sure how to respond to that, as I could approach your comment from so many different angles. I'll just suggest you give yourself a bit more credit, and perhaps I'll leave it at that for now. I'm simply attempting to generate some dialogue among the target market, maybe to assist these film makers as they move from pre-production into production. As production moves forward, they will have less and less flexibility, so now is the time to consider the views of the buying public.

I'm surprised more women are not caring to express their views on regarding the questions I have raised.
Old     (zuka666)      Join Date: Aug 2005       03-18-2006, 10:07 PM Reply   
I like the pic Buzz. Typical male!!

Ladies, the LOVE of the SPORT!! I'll Buy It.
Old    xtremebordgurl            03-19-2006, 7:50 AM Reply   
I think somebody already said this, but I don't think you should "try" to make it sexy, most of the girls are in bikinis most of the time anyway, nothing should be forced, if you force it with model shots... I think u end up with something other than a wakeboard film. Just keep it simple, its a wakeboard vid. Period. Do it like you would do a guys video and that way the girls are respected but its stilll sexy. For exapmle with the guys videos... no one is trying to make them sexy because it is a male dominated sport, but I can tell you I do have a some friends that are not into wakeboarding at all and they want to watch my vid collection just cuase they think its hot. Which I have to agree, wakeboarding is a sexy sport on both sides of the coin. A nice perk to the sport for me is whenever I go to an event 90 percent of the guys are hot and half naked! I mean life is good then right? But no one's trying to force it. No one tries to make the guys look hot, it just comes through. It should be the same as with the women. Don't force it. Cause even then I think you can start crossing lines into becoming kinda cheesey. I'm sure a lot of people may disagree with me but I say let the women's riding and natural behavior speak for itself. No model shots. A realy good example of an all women's video done well (IMO) is Hardly Angels, its a snowboard vid of all women and I think they did an awesome job capturing the essence of women's snowboarding while putting together an awesome snowboard vid. Check it out.
Old     (zuka666)      Join Date: Aug 2005       03-19-2006, 8:15 AM Reply   
BM, well said. --J
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       03-19-2006, 9:53 AM Reply   
Josh B, regardless of your feelings towards someone.....its very bad karma to knock someones venture on a public forum like wakeworld.

Regardless of anyones feelings on anyone elses personal character, anyone progressing and promoting the sport is worth supporting imo, and if not, its worth being silent over ya know?
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       03-19-2006, 1:40 PM Reply   
Buzz, I hadnt looked at this post but your photo is hilarious. I think I was that kid when I was like 5
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-19-2006, 1:56 PM Reply   
I'm still that kid, lol. I keep comming back to this thread to check out that photo, its just so funny, great one Buzz!
Old     (criswb)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-19-2006, 6:24 PM Reply   
Ass Bess said, You dont have to do anything to make it sexy, girls riding, whether their only trick is an indy grab, are sexy
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-21-2006, 9:42 AM Reply   
got back from orlando last night. thanks for the support everyone!

josh, i understand your reluctance in supporting me. and you're absolutely right. i've made some rude comments online. if you don't want to support me, honestly, i understand. but please support the riders in the dvd. the dvd is about them, not me.

thanks for the suggestions everone. please keep them coming.
Old     (brinks)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-21-2006, 9:04 PM Reply   
Joe,
Hope the vid comes out good. Cool but sketchy angle at OWC that night.
Old     (criswb)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-22-2006, 6:44 AM Reply   
joe can you post up some pics of how its coming together? just to get us more excited (and anxious)!
Old     (noti_dad)      Join Date: Jul 2003       03-22-2006, 7:25 AM Reply   
Josh - Well put. You are mature above your age. Ditto.
Old     (antbug)      Join Date: Jul 2004       03-22-2006, 8:08 AM Reply   
Yeah Joe was taking one for the team and like brinks said, sketchy angle at O-dub.

Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       03-22-2006, 9:52 AM Reply   
Ant, did you take a few cable pulls while you were there?
Old     (antbug)      Join Date: Jul 2004       03-22-2006, 12:16 PM Reply   
J-rod ~ Sad to say we were in Orlando for 5 days and I didn't ride once. To busy filming all of these girls for The Chick Flick DVD. Wait till you see some footage of what these girls are doing this year. It will blow your mind!
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-22-2006, 12:29 PM Reply   
c'mon, it wasn't THAT sketchy. i mean, i wasn't scared at all!
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       03-22-2006, 12:31 PM Reply   
Awe.. man...you didn't ride once in Florida?

Joe...did you ride?

Common, OWC is open at night even.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-22-2006, 12:33 PM Reply   
jrod, nah, no riding for me as well. the boss put us to work from 5am till midnight, everyday!
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-22-2006, 12:47 PM Reply   
G to the A to the Y - GAY!!!
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       03-22-2006, 1:19 PM Reply   
I totally agree with MR.Murphy on his comment, and will support the ladies in our great spot with out a doubt. I two have been on wakeworld for a while and think Joe has done alot of positive great things for the sport we love and works hard to better our sport. Let me know when the vid is ready to ship, I will sell it in my shop fo sho.
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       03-22-2006, 2:07 PM Reply   
Everyone knows you guys are working on a teaser. Hook us up with something to drool over!
Old     (criswb)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-23-2006, 7:43 AM Reply   
i second that ^^^ idea, at least some pics!
Old     (antbug)      Join Date: Jul 2004       03-23-2006, 8:41 PM Reply   
As Hahn said "Hook us up with something to drool over!" Well here you go....

www.TheChickFlick.com
www.DPCfilms.com

Upload

Upload

Upload

Upload
Old     (tcluv85)      Join Date: Jan 2004       03-23-2006, 8:48 PM Reply   
Very cool and even cool to see pictures of you guys working to create this dvd. Umail looks awfully comfortable in the birds nest.

Trip of a lifetime. I am jealous I didn't go.
Old     (agfan12)      Join Date: Mar 2004       03-23-2006, 8:52 PM Reply   
Joe, Bug, DPC, this looks sick guys. Congrats!
Old     (heatherjohnson)      Join Date: Dec 2005       03-23-2006, 9:58 PM Reply   
Thanks Joe and DPC films!!! I had a fun time filming and look forward to seeing you guys again soon!!! I am really stoked about the Chick Flick...it is going to be sick!! And done in great taste!! Also, thanks to my coach Glen Fletcher(www.otownwatersports.com) for pulling me for the rail session of the filming and for being an awesome instructor both on boat and rails .....and Pat Panakos (www.theprojectscamp.com) who guides me and teaches me to be a good Padawan!! Thanks again Everyone!! <3 Heather Johnson!!!
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-24-2006, 1:41 AM Reply   
I can't believe that Wally tuber cutting in front of Emily and messing up her water, and at such a close distance, so unsafe!!! Some people just don't have a clue, I thought in Orlando they should know better. You guys should have beat his ass.

Nice shots, Ant! SICK riding Heather, can't wait to see more! I still think Joe is the reason that tower collapsed a 0-dub. Good work everybody! And nice job whoever did the logo, that is perfect!

(Message edited by dococ on March 24, 2006)
Old     (lzyboy)      Join Date: Jun 2001       03-24-2006, 9:03 AM Reply   
Right on Guys an Gals - way to represent!!!!
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       03-24-2006, 9:26 AM Reply   
Where's the teaser? Nice pic's! Man I miss Orlando.
Old     (cali_rider)      Join Date: Feb 2004       03-24-2006, 9:32 AM Reply   
Hey joe it looks like it going to be a great flick, what are ya'll shooten on? cant wait to see it.
Old     (jonfo)      Join Date: May 2002       03-24-2006, 9:42 AM Reply   
Where can i buy the TheChickFlick t-shirt?
Old    00smizz            03-24-2006, 9:54 AM Reply   
I would find out what the statutory laws are in those states first. Than I would ask how old are you?
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       03-24-2006, 10:03 AM Reply   
"Where can i buy the TheChickFlick t-shirt?"

I would buy one.
Old     (99xstar)      Join Date: Aug 2005       03-24-2006, 10:53 AM Reply   
I think this looks awesome. As my girlfriend just had her first year of riding, it will be nice to show her this vid to let her see what's out there and what's possible. And, oh yeah, I need a question:

When will we see the first all hot pink wakeboarding boat?
Old    walt            03-24-2006, 1:08 PM Reply   
Very nice Bug !
Old    358army            03-24-2006, 2:36 PM Reply   
the DPC guys were in here at o town filming dallas barret and heather last week, really nice guys... they got some hella good ridding out of those girls, the video should turn out well. you'll get to see dallas transfer on video for the first time.... EVER.... think about it... a girl transfered.... you cant make a better chick flick then that. cant wait to see the final cut joe.....

Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       03-24-2006, 5:14 PM Reply   
MORE! MORE!MORE! MORE!MORE! MORE!MORE! MORE!MORE! MORE!MORE! MORE!MORE! MORE!MORE! MORE!MORE! MORE!MORE! MORE!MORE! MORE!MORE! MORE!MORE! MORE!MORE! MORE!MORE! MORE!MORE! MORE!MORE! MORE!MORE! MORE!MORE! MORE!MORE! MORE!MORE! MORE!MORE! MORE!MORE! MORE!MORE! MORE!MORE! MORE!MORE! MORE!MORE! MORE!MORE! MORE!MORE! MORE!MORE! MORE!MORE! MORE!MORE! MORE!MORE! MORE!MORE! MORE!MORE! MORE!MORE! MORE!MORE! MORE!MORE! MORE!MORE! MORE!MORE! MORE!
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       03-24-2006, 5:15 PM Reply   
I'm a little excited about this film sorry....
Old     (hires_55)      Join Date: Aug 2005       03-24-2006, 11:31 PM Reply   
I just started riding and I can't wait to see it! There are not enough girls! Oh, and I want a shirt too!
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-25-2006, 9:34 AM Reply   
brad, you're not supposed to let the cat out of the bag!!!

jeffrey byron, i know of 2 pink boats...melissa marquardt's super air and dallas friday's vlx. neither are "all hot pink," though.
Old    358army            03-25-2006, 6:31 PM Reply   
im an idiot.........
Old     (twakess)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-25-2006, 6:45 PM Reply   
haha, thanks for the little info brad. I can't wait for this thing to come out. Joe you better go back to FL and lock Brad in a room till the Video is done.

Old     (lizzyb)      Join Date: Sep 2005       03-27-2006, 11:23 AM Reply   
SICK pictures! I tend to complain there aren't enough sections of female riding in videos, so this should be great. I'm really excited to see the finished product.

As always the pictures are amazing, nice job baby!
Old     (criswb)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-27-2006, 11:26 AM Reply   
this may be a stupid ? but, what does being transferred mean?
Old     (foxrepdc)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-27-2006, 1:51 PM Reply   
Joe....when will this DVD actually be available for sale?

DC
Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       03-27-2006, 2:46 PM Reply   
Cris - What Brad meant by "transfer" is in regards to some lifestyle footage we got of Dallas transferring money from her checking to savings account. It's really silly, but Brad thought it was hilarious for some reason.

FoxrepDC - We will start taking pre-order around August and the DVD will be released just in time for the Holidays. This DVD has ALL new footage from the 2006 season.

Hahn - more of what....?

Brad - Thanks again to the whole O-Town Crew! You guys are a very cool crew and we look forward to getting back out there soon to do some more filming!

Heather - Two words for you young lady! Killing It! Please make sure to let Joe or I know if you are coming out west so we can leverage that and film some more. Either way we will be back in FL in no time so make sure you keep up the good work!

T-shirts - Are you looking for girls or guys t-shirt the Chick Flick logo?
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       03-27-2006, 3:25 PM Reply   
More pictures!
Old     (criswb)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-27-2006, 5:10 PM Reply   
I thought it was some kind of trick I hadnt heard of!

Old     (melanie)      Join Date: Apr 2001       03-27-2006, 5:17 PM Reply   
This hasnt been done sice "Beyond 3".
Way to go Joe.
I'm really excited about "The Chick Flick" and i'm sure I speak for all women riders.
Thanks.
Old     (joshugan)      Join Date: Apr 2005       03-31-2006, 2:09 PM Reply   
Joe, I respect what you say about this film being about the riders. My hat's off to you there. It will be cool for the women pushing themselves and having fun to get some more respect.

Maybe Dococ is right and we have a "kinder, gentler" and more reserved J. If that's so then Joe you have my apology too. I've certainly done more than my fair share of things that, whether justified or not, didn't make me look so great in the eyes of others.

I do respect all the good advice and unbiased (well as unbiased as anyone can be) opinions you have on wakeboarding.

And Antbug, those pictures are awesome! I hope I'm as good as the chicks someday!

Well, I just might have to buy my sister a copy after all. And who knows, maybe I'll watch it once or twice.
Old     (antbug)      Join Date: Jul 2004       04-02-2006, 9:10 PM Reply   
Exclusive Chick Flick Photos

Check em out!

http://www.thechickflick.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18

www.thechickflick.com
www.dpcfilms.com
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       04-02-2006, 9:18 PM Reply   
Wow, thats one girly Bu there.
Great pics.
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-02-2006, 9:54 PM Reply   
Nice shots, Ant! Really nice job with the chase boat angles. I still can't believe Leslie came out, was she riding that Gator?