Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (bsebllhglyknit)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-17-2008, 3:26 PM Reply   
This morning at the lake we were stopped by the sheriff while I was wakesurfing. They stopped us and asked if they could ask me a few questions as well as test my CO2 level. I kindly agreed. When he got the little reading from device, he looked at his partner in shock and said his level of carbon monoxide is 0.

They were really cool about it and explained what they were doing and were shocked that i had zero carbon monoxide in me.

Then again I continued to explain to him that the centurion enzo I was riding behind was designed to wakesurf with the sideswipe exhaust system, which once again he was amazed by.

So its kinda nice to see that they are actually trying to get proof that wakesurfing is dangerous and not just making rediculous assumptions.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       08-17-2008, 3:31 PM Reply   
Cool, but CO2 is Carbon Dioxide, a good gas. I believe they were testing for CO (Carbon Monoxide), the deadly gas.
Old     (bsebllhglyknit)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-17-2008, 3:57 PM Reply   
sorry meant CO.
Old     (bac)      Join Date: Feb 2008       08-17-2008, 4:14 PM Reply   
Interesting to that they are getting test readings from riders while surfing. What lake is this on? I'd be interested to see what kind of results they are getting. This could could go either way in my opinion.
Old     (bsebllhglyknit)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-18-2008, 10:44 AM Reply   
I was on canyon lake. I guess if you dont have any kind of FAE or sideswipe you will have carbon monoxide in you. If they ban wakesurfing I wondering if they would allow it behind boats that have sideswipe or fae
Old     (hawaj)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-18-2008, 12:23 PM Reply   
wonder what device they use for testing CO?
Old     (wakebrdjay)      Join Date: Apr 2008       08-18-2008, 1:11 PM Reply   
Yeah,how did they test you?Was it a breath test or blood test or what?
Old     (bsebllhglyknit)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-18-2008, 1:29 PM Reply   
idk how it works. It was a finger thing that I put my finger in.
Old     (dennish)      Join Date: May 2005       08-18-2008, 4:39 PM Reply   
The device is a Pulse Cooximeter and it does work. The issue I see is that if you are a smoker then your CO levels will be elevated. It also, by checking the rider, assumes that the poisoning occurred while riding behind the boat when it probably occurred while in the boat where levels are higher. Did they ask your permission prior to checking? I am not sure yet whether they need your permission.
Old     (hawaj)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-18-2008, 5:47 PM Reply   
Thats all very interesting and new to me.
Old     (dennish)      Join Date: May 2005       08-18-2008, 6:28 PM Reply   
The device measures carboxyhemoglobin which is the level of CO in your blood.
Mean carboxyhemoglobin levels were 5.9% for smokers, 2.79% for second-hand smokers, and 1.95% for nonsmokers.
10% requires emergency treatment in ER. Smokers can have levels as high as 17% just from smoking.
I would hope that they aren't looking to cite wakesurfers based on CO level as negligent operation. I am sure this is winnable in court based on other circumstances but I would not want anyone to get a ticket.
Old     (bsebllhglyknit)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-18-2008, 7:37 PM Reply   
He asked my permission to check my carbon monoxide level. I dont smoke and I was surfing behind the boat for quite a while and They said it read 0. They said they werent looking to give tickets just get some data. He said he has had issues with people teak surfing or body surfing by holding on to the platform. He said he was more worried about people with i/o's trying wakesurfing then the carbon monoxide itself
Old     (bsebllhglyknit)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-18-2008, 7:40 PM Reply   
It was apparent he was just looking to test for co because he didnt ask for our registration or the normal crap they ask for when you get stopped.