Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2003 > Archive through September 24, 2004

Old     (jwat142)      Join Date: Jan 2002       08-24-2004, 6:42 AM Reply   
I am looking at either the Sony CDX-MP70 or CDX-MP80 head unit for my boat. I have heard the major difference between these two is that the MP70 only has 1 volt pre-amp outputs and the MP80 has 4 volt outputs. How much of a difference will this make? I am planning on running a amp for a set of tower speakers and an amp for the interior speakers sooner or later. Will I notice a huge difference in sound between these two units? Thanks for any help as my knowledge of stereos is pretty limited.
Old     (nvsairwarrior)      Join Date: Aug 2003       08-24-2004, 8:41 AM Reply   
The input sensitivity (sometimes called gain) would be noticable if you were to switch one unit to the other. Typically, a higher output voltage will allow you to run your amp at a lower sensitivity, and or, run more amps without running low on input power.
Alternatives if you run short of input power would include installing a EQ with line drivers that actually boost the voltage. However, depending on the amp(s) you are going to use (you said 2), I doubt you will have an issue.
I have an 80 feeding 2 large amps, and friends with the 70 running smaller amps without issue. But, if the price is the same, definetly go with the 80 (I like the black faceplate better too)
good luck
Old     (captainfreedom)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-24-2004, 8:54 AM Reply   
Price is just about the same...go with the MP80. I am very satisfied with mine. There is a noticeable difference between a 1 volt and 4 volt preout.

By the way, you can still run XM radio off of an MP80 as well, even though it doesn't say it accepts XM radio.
Old    whitechocolate            08-24-2004, 10:00 AM Reply   
1 volt sounds like this.............................................. .................................................. .................................................. ..............................................

4 volt's sounds like this.

Where is "Tom Barnard" he should be poking his nose in here any time. He just bought a Audio Control Line driver,for his I-pod he can tell you the differance. BTW Tom where and how much did you pay for the line driver, I was wanting to try one out.
Old     (tlb)      Join Date: Feb 2003       08-24-2004, 6:47 PM Reply   
Hey guys, I added a line driver to my system and it made a huge difference. I actually bought a pheonix gold line driver from an install guy at good guys for $50 cash. It boosts the voltage to about 8 volts. If I was going to buy a new one i would buy the audio control overdrive.
If you have an i-pod you need this to boost your signal. I have my i-pod at about half to three quarters output and my jl amp gains or (sensitivity) at about half also and get as much volume as I want with little or no distortion.

Grant, I know you have a pre-amp in your EQ but I would try a line driver, I bet you'd be stoked with it. I found them on woofersetc.com for $99.
If you don't like it I'll buy it from you, I was going to add one to my truck anyway.
Tom
Old    whitechocolate            08-24-2004, 7:34 PM Reply   
Ok Ill check them out
Old     (wakescene)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-25-2004, 10:28 AM Reply   
4 volts is better...

Originally the line-driver (or other device that increasd the line-out voltage of a interconnect) was designed to boost voltage to decrease the amount of frequency interference that could get into the line. Interference like Electro magnetic interference or other 'noise' as they called it was not powerful enough to creep into the high powered line degrading the quality of the signal going thru it, therfore providing a high quality signal and ultimately high quality sound or power.

Our phone companies and other utility's have been using this technology since the early 1900's for the long-distance lines and other connections that span great distances. Only in the last 20 years or so has it made it into the audio industry.