Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 08, 2008

Old     (tonysdad)      Join Date: Jul 2005       04-21-2008, 8:48 AM Reply   
Looking for some feedback from antone with experience with Pioneer H/U's & the CD-MR80D wired Remote (w/ display). I have a DEHP4900IB H/U with my IPOD connected using the CD-I200 direct cable. I just installed the CD-MR80D remote at the transom and it works fine but does not display text from the IPOD. When I change the source, it doesn't even say "IPOD" but does display the correct info for all other inputs. Does anybody else have this same issue or are you guys able to scroll/search the IPOD using the wired remote? Don't want to waste my time trying to figure it out if others have already tried and failed...
Old     (tonysdad)      Join Date: Jul 2005       04-21-2008, 8:52 AM Reply   
Here's a couple pics of the install...I have to admit that I was pretty nervous cutting a 2" hole in the boat, but it turned out to be one of the easiest things I've done to it so far.

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       04-21-2008, 9:46 AM Reply   
I have the same one, it has issues, I've talked to Pioneer as well. It does not display IPOD. You cannot scroll and search the IPOD either. And we thought we were getting a sweet product........

See you out there soon.

Nice hole cutting though.
Old     (tonysdad)      Join Date: Jul 2005       04-21-2008, 9:51 AM Reply   
Pionner also makes an IPOD interface (CD-IB100II) that is connected the same way as the remote using the IP-BUS. If these were daisy-chained together would that possibly fix the problem? What did Pioneer have to say when you talked to them?
Old     (c640947)      Join Date: Jan 2005       04-21-2008, 10:19 AM Reply   
i had display unit and wanted two remotes (one for driver since hu in glovebox.) had too much trouble getting displayed remote to work, so used two non display remotes. Went through two back remotes and gave up and they kept jacking up. seemed like they werent waterproof enough? Front one works fine.
Old     (rowdy)      Join Date: Mar 2006       04-21-2008, 11:35 AM Reply   
It is well known with the issues. You're out of luck with the remote displaying any ipod info. However, rumor has it that Pioneer is working on a new remote that will solve these issues.
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       04-21-2008, 11:50 AM Reply   
"well how do you like how it works?" I told them I dont like it because you cant see the IPOD on the screen of the remote. After replacing the one I had, because I thought it didnt work. I got it back and installed it with the same results. I also have the IPOD interface.
Old     (nvsairwarrior)      Join Date: Aug 2003       04-21-2008, 8:53 PM Reply   
Thanks WakeWorld. I was recently considering one of these for my Premier P880 PRS. Love the deck and the iPod adapter is OK (none seem as good as running the iPod from Aux in) but I'm looking for other options now for remote.
Eric, did your "rumor" indicate any time frame for the new one?
Old     (rowdy)      Join Date: Mar 2006       04-22-2008, 12:10 AM Reply   
Duane,

No word on the time frame. The source (who may or may not work for the company in question, wink, wink) stated that Pioneer is aware of their customer's issues (uh, I sure hope so) and that it is on the company's engineer's to-do list.

The problem with these remotes is that they have been around forever, as well as the IP-BUS. It is a reliable system, however, as the user interfaces in the head unit become more and more complex, IP-BUS becomes inadequate, as more and more people are finding out.

Unfortunately, marine remotes compromise of a very small percentage of the total products that Pioneer sells (hard to believe, I know...I too thought the rest of the world revolved around wake boarding) so the company places their focus on just about everything else. This is quite evident, as the new line of navigation that they are releasing in the next month or so is incredible.

Anyhow, this individual did state that they are going to have to step up to the plate with the remotes since many of the new USB based headunits are not going to be compatible with IP-BUS, and even tossed out that IP-BUS may be gone in the near future.

That's what we really need, a USB based remote setup, that could almost be infinitely daisy-chained and could control anything. That with a multi line OEL display...now we're talkin'!