Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 04, 2003

Old     (graphik)      Join Date: Feb 2003       03-03-2003, 8:26 PM Reply   
Excited to get my new (used) Tige in the water this spring. During my test drive, the guy I bought it from was tooling around the lake and explained that he was trying to get the water to drain out. I've had a little jet boat before and I know that water can get inside, and I test drove the Tige after it had rained, and some got in it. How do you drain the water? (aside from bilge), where does the water collect? I'm going to leave it in the water for probably a week at a time. Any suggestions?
Old    xwake            03-03-2003, 8:42 PM Reply   
Brian,

I'm not sure about the Tige layout, but wherever the engine is, is usually where you have water collect. For Direct Drive water collects in the center. For a V-drive water collects in the back.

A word of advice (which is worth exactly what you paid for it). If you are going to leave your boat in the water for a week at a time then you should probaby cover the boat between uses and make sure you have a working bilge pump with unobstructed bilge lines. Also check that you have a strong fully charged battery .

Anyway hope this helps.

Regards,

-Bo
Old    pjmicklos            03-03-2003, 11:47 PM Reply   
Brian,

I also purchased a new Tige in November. Mine is a 2001 22i R leftover. Like you, I can't wait to go play with my new toy. This is a big change for me because I've owned SN and MC's for the last 20 years or so. My wife laughs at me because I'm so anxious to get on the water here in Pittsburgh.

Paul
Old    matt_dettman            03-04-2003, 7:01 AM Reply   
Brian,

Congrats on your new Tige'. As with any inboard or V-drive, be sure the shaft packing is not leaking before you let your boat sit in the water(gasp) for extended periods. You don't mention what year your Tige' is or if it is a V-drive or direct drive. If it's a V-drive 2001 or newer, it should be equipped with a non-leaking PSS shaft seal. Otherwise it will have the flax packing that needs to be checked periodically. Don't overtighten the shaft seal or you can score the drive shaft.

Hope that helps.

Matt
Old     (salty87)      Join Date: Jul 2002       03-04-2003, 9:37 AM Reply   
sounds like the guy driving thought he was in an outboard...in an outbaord you can get it on plane and pull the plug in the transom to drain water
Old     (graphik)      Join Date: Feb 2003       03-07-2003, 11:15 AM Reply   
thanks guys. The Boat is a 1993 model. I got it at a good price. I'm in Onratio Canada, and we've currently got 3+ feet of snow in most areas, so spring is still a few weeks away. Correct me if I'm wrong, but there are plugs (bolts) under the swim platform that can be undone to allow any water collected in the hull to drain. ? When it's out of the water, I'm guessing that I should pull these for a bit and let it drain? It's winterized right now, so when it's time to prep it for summer I'll get them to really check things over as far as shaft packing and so on goes.

thanks again
b
Old    trip            03-07-2003, 12:01 PM Reply   
Besides covering your boat when leaving in the water for extended periods, you might consider getting a solar panel to put on your battery to make sure it stays charged in case your auto-bilge has to run due to rain. Nothing like a dead battery when you're ready to hit the water.
Old    mgb            03-07-2003, 12:07 PM Reply   
Brian

I'm in Cambridge also..Keep me in mind if you want to meet in the spring/summer. I live on Puslinch Lake and have a cottage on Belwood (near Fergus)

Congrats on the boat purchase

Mike
Old     (graphik)      Join Date: Feb 2003       03-11-2003, 4:45 PM Reply   
cool. I took a lesson at Mclintocks, and rode behind the Nauti. It's a great wake. i tried to get them o sell it to me, but they wouldn't. Correspondence with them was like ppulling teeth. Neil Brown teaches there in the summer. Hopefully I'll take a lesson from him.
b