Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 28, 2004

Old     (flashalexb)      Join Date: May 2004       07-06-2004, 12:06 PM Reply   
Im going on vaction to Cape Hatteras N.C. in a few days and I was wondering if any of yall know any good places to ride around there.
Old     (mango)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-06-2004, 12:08 PM Reply   
i know that's a great place to surf O.B.X - outer banx. Are you looking to wakeboard in the ocean in a bay or find a lake near by?
Old     (flashalexb)      Join Date: May 2004       07-06-2004, 12:49 PM Reply   
Well Im going out there to go fishing and Im going to bring my wakeboard with me. So prolly the bay. But if the conditions are right I would wakeboard in the ocean
Old     (wakeclt)      Join Date: Apr 2003       07-06-2004, 12:57 PM Reply   
Good Luck finding calm water around there. The wind usually kicks nearly every day there. In fact, near there is a place called Canadian Hole where some of the best kiteboarding and windsurfing on the east coast happens.

On the Atlantic Ocean side, you're going to get good to great waves, so you won't find anyone in the open water there riding behind a boat, only surfing. On the other side of the banks in the Pamlico Sound, the depth of the water rarely gets more than about 6 feet, so you don't find many folks wakeboarding in the sound due to shallow areas, especially during low tides. That's why the most popular boarding is kiteboarding and windsurfing.

As for lakes, you're 3 hours or 4 hours from the closest freshwater. Hatteras is a LONG way out there. I lived in Kitty Hawk, Kill Devil Hills, and Corolla for about a year, and even living up there closer to the bridges, I rarely went to the mainland.

You'll love it though - its really an amazing place, and by all means - rent a surfboard if you don't own one, and experience the early evolution of wakeboarding!!

Old     (hyperlitenrd)      Join Date: Jan 2003       07-06-2004, 6:00 PM Reply   
I am typing here on the outer banks right now im about 2 1/2 hrs north of hatteras, but the water is the warmest it has ever been, no wakeboarding that I know of, and the surf has been good 4 of the last 7 days, good being at least thigh high and peeling in a rideable fashion, turning on the wave and doing lil tricks. If you do surf, bring a long board if you have one, or rent one from the corolla surf shop, if you do not you can go take surf lessons. Have fun, ignore the weather chanel for the most part, it says thunder storms for the last 2 1/2 weeks and we have only had 2 thunderstorms. Go surfing at low tide. If it is raining, it is a bad idea to go driving, b/c everyone else is. If you want to go to the tourists stops, do it early b4 it gets crowded and muggy. Yea its our 13th year, you'll love it

Chris
Old     (mango)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-07-2004, 6:54 AM Reply   
how are you guys recovering from last years hurricane isabel?
Old     (fumanchoo)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-07-2004, 8:16 AM Reply   
I just purchased a house in Avon.Just North Of Hatteras Lighthouse.Will be going there next weekend.I know you can ride in the sound if you find a boat.Dont think you will find a proper ski boat to pull you though.Kite boarding is HUGE in Avon.Check it out.
Old     (flashalexb)      Join Date: May 2004       07-07-2004, 8:07 PM Reply   
I would love to go kiteboarding its just I have never done it before. I go surfing here all the time so I will definitly rent a surfboard when I get there. Thanks for all the input I decided Im going to bring my wakeboard just for the hell of it. Mind as well give it a shot.