Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 29, 2007

Old     (ponyh8r)      Join Date: Dec 2004       10-29-2007, 10:35 AM Reply   
Its official. The wife, 3 dogs and the X-star are moving to Omaha. Looks like the seasons will be getting short for me. Any suggestions of where to live and ride would be appreciated. Right now we are looking at Papillion and Bellvue.
Old     (wannabewakeboarder)      Join Date: Feb 2007       10-29-2007, 3:47 PM Reply   
Talk to Wakeboard Nebraska, via myspace or wakeboardnebraska.com(email)
Old     (skeetersky13)      Join Date: Feb 2006       10-29-2007, 5:22 PM Reply   
i know there are some private lakes around up there. not sure about anything else. when exactly are you moving?
beware of winter...it was 40 this morning. and around here it gets around -10 or -15. probably wont snow until around jan. though.
Old     (vanagonwake)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-29-2007, 5:29 PM Reply   
Green Blue Algae here you come. There are some private, and alot of state parks. You can do some boating on the river. Go to http://www.ngpc.state.ne.us/ this is the neb game and parks. Lets you know what lakes allow water sports and those that don't that are state owned... I live in Lincoln and also have to deal with the Green Blue Floaties :-) enjoy!
Old     (skeetersky13)      Join Date: Feb 2006       10-29-2007, 5:52 PM Reply   
you mean toxic alge? i havent heard of green blue alge...we have toxic alge where i live. which is 80 miles south of lincoln.
Old     (vanagonwake)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-29-2007, 5:55 PM Reply   
This can be toxic to dogs if they drink too much. It doesn't usually reach those level until late in the summer in some lakes. Its weird, some lakes have it some don't at all. It is greenish blue and floats in large clumps. Its crazy when you are outside the wake in the right light the water looks green that you are spraying up. :-)
Old     (skeetersky13)      Join Date: Feb 2006       10-29-2007, 7:44 PM Reply   
cool. we have toxic alge which is like just a thin green covering on top of the water. they say it can be toxic, and some people have died from it (not around here), i think it happens b/c theres not enough rain and the water just sits b/c there are not a lot of boaters down here. ive ridden in it more than once, it smells nasty, but i didnt get sick from it.
Old     (paus21)      Join Date: Jun 2007       10-30-2007, 10:30 AM Reply   
Way to make NE sound so good with the toxic algae talk. I take it you'll be working in Bellevue since you are in the military? Plenty of good places to live down in the Papillion/Bellevue are. Really starting to grow down there. Ride? Go for a private lake. Beaver Lake is down in that area.
Old     (vanagonwake)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-30-2007, 12:06 PM Reply   
I was hoping this would keep people off the lakes and more room for myself :-)
Old     (ponyh8r)      Join Date: Dec 2004       10-30-2007, 1:05 PM Reply   
We will be moving out there in Feb. I am really getting a little depressed about the whole scene out there. I am guessing there must be some wakeboarding if there is a Mastercraft dealer in Papillion. Looking at Google earth Beaver lake looks pretty small. I will have to check out the river. Are there any larger lakes within an hour or so?

Paus, I will working out in Bellevue. The private lake houses are looking pretty expensive. We already have a realtor out there, but we are looking to spend between $250-$300K and most private lake homes start a higher than that.

I am guessing that I won't be putting 200hrs a year on the ole' boat like I do here in texas, but I am excited to see some new lakes and meet some new folks. I will be ready to find some people to ride with come spring. I know it is colder up there, what month do people really start riding? I am hoping April or May. Down here we start in Feb/March and stop in Nov/Dec.
Old     (skeetersky13)      Join Date: Feb 2006       10-30-2007, 4:11 PM Reply   
nebraska is great. the toxic alge is only in really small lakes which i would classify as big ponds. and the lakes around here dont get a lot of traffic. so i know the bigger ones are better but they are too far away for me. i would guess season starts may-early sept. im not sure how far it is, but kansas city watersports is probably 5 hours? from omaha. nebraska is fun. i hope you like red and college football, because thats all we have for sports :-) haha...
Old     (wannabewakeboarder)      Join Date: Feb 2007       10-30-2007, 4:22 PM Reply   
WAKEBOARD NEBRASKA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old     (skeetersky13)      Join Date: Feb 2006       10-30-2007, 9:10 PM Reply   
okay. college/professional sports. and besides, what other state do you know that when there are only 3 large cities: omaha, lincoln, grand island. and when there is a home football game in lincoln, memorial stadium becomes the 3rd largest city in the state.... :-) haha. i love it here!
Old     (paus21)      Join Date: Jun 2007       10-31-2007, 7:15 AM Reply   
The scene is here. Don't worry about that.

Out at Woodcliff we will ride from April to Oct. Might need a dry suit for the early, early season but I trunked it a week before I took the boat out.

You're not going to find any massive lakes around Omaha but there are plenty that are definitely big enough to ride on. I would have a hard time putting my X Star in the Missouri if I were you though.
Old     (ponyh8r)      Join Date: Dec 2004       10-31-2007, 11:10 AM Reply   
Thanks Paus,

Is the missouri dirty or shallow or something?Can't wait to get up there and ride. I am winterizing my boat down here at the Texas Ski Ranch a next week. It is a little early but I think I will be busy with the move. Next time she gets summerized looks like it will be up at Nebraska Watersports. Should be a good move.
Old     (skeetersky13)      Join Date: Feb 2006       10-31-2007, 2:50 PM Reply   
did the floods hit near omaha on the missouri? or was that just down south? because i know by rulo, ne the river has plenty of trees and junk floating in it, and it flooded in May.
Old     (pete_moss)      Join Date: Sep 2007       10-31-2007, 5:53 PM Reply   
I can tell you one thing. If you don't have any plans for the Fourth of July you should probably consider going to Okoboji Iowa. It's about 3 hours from you and it is pretty fun. There is an amusement park right on the lake for the kids and plenty of bars/restaurants/tiki bars/shopping for the adults. There are two lakes there. Okoboji (east and west) and Big Spirit. Drop your boat in on Spirit early in the morning on the south side for glass everytime and then take it out and put it back in across the street at Okoboji for some of the best partying you'll find.
Old     (nwsjake10)      Join Date: Feb 2007       10-31-2007, 8:54 PM Reply   
www.wakeboardnebraska.com
www.wnsboardhouse.com
Old     (paus21)      Join Date: Jun 2007       11-01-2007, 8:01 AM Reply   
Just dirty and crap floating everywhere. Pretty much like most rivers though.

Nebraska Watersports is good. That's where I take my X1. Talk to Eric or Jake (who is ^^^).

Oh and wakeboardnebraska.com in case you haven't gotten that yet. We'll give you a pull out at Woodcliff sometime.
Old     (skeetersky13)      Join Date: Feb 2006       11-01-2007, 8:40 PM Reply   
theres more junk than usual down here, still. it was scary when the floods happened. millions of dollars in crop ruined...there is still junk near the roads...