Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 12, 2008

Old     (izzy)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-06-2008, 8:15 AM Reply   
I have to agree with Matt. I would like to own a wakeboat... But gas for a 135hp sure is nice. $60 for a weekend with gas to spare.
Old     (kal_dude)      Join Date: Apr 2006       03-06-2008, 8:30 AM Reply   
i can work from my boat, so gas is a write off!!!!

kal
Old     (stanfield)      Join Date: Mar 2004       03-06-2008, 8:58 AM Reply   
Just got home from Spain. Gas was around 1.10 euro a litre and diesel was about .85 euro a litre. When you do the math and conversion to the weak US dollar, we were paying close to double 4 bucks a gallon just to drive around.

Saw an X45 in the port with huge extra gas cans taking up the center of the boat doubling as ballast and emergency gas. Can't imagine the bill to fill that thing up on the water.

(Message edited by Stanfield on March 06, 2008)
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-06-2008, 9:00 AM Reply   
how 'bout $5.19/gal for REGULAR UNLEADED in cali?
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       03-06-2008, 9:39 AM Reply   
As long as everybody is pitchin in at the pump it shouldn't be that bad!
Old     (astonestreet)      Join Date: Oct 2007       03-06-2008, 12:11 PM Reply   
Go to London>>> 6-8 US dollars per LITER

Liter = .26 of a US gallon.. We have it alot better than most when it comes to gas prices and to be honest we are talking about rec. vehicles. If you cant afford a 1-2 dollar increase per gallon of gas, chances are, owning a boat and enjoy the privilage they bring is already out of your scope in accordiance with any budgetary responsibilites.

To that same point: I wish the sport wasnt so expensive and the cost of an average wake board wasnt upwards of 35k.

Just my .02 cents
Old     (astonestreet)      Join Date: Oct 2007       03-06-2008, 12:15 PM Reply   
WakeBoard Boat* Correction
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       03-06-2008, 12:15 PM Reply   
^^

We need more cables in the US to make wakeboarding more accessible to everyone.

Voice that to the legislators that are making it difficult, especially in California!
Old     (2manytoys)      Join Date: May 2007       03-08-2008, 7:46 PM Reply   
Republicans are the right nut..Democrats are the left... and were all getting screwed by the big corporate DICK in the middle.... my 2 cents
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-09-2008, 6:17 AM Reply   
Part of the reason for Diesel gettin out of whack was ULSD and the retool this cost the refiners. I will not ride any less, my last boat purchase I did not go with a large stereo system. 5k buys a lot of fuel.
Old     (doubleup_dan)      Join Date: Oct 2006       03-09-2008, 8:04 AM Reply   
cost me $350-$400 to fill up my xstar in europe please stop complaining
Old    stillstandin            03-09-2008, 11:10 AM Reply   
2manytoys...Great statement, I agree. I have a diesel truck, diesel just hit 4.15 a gallon around the corner. Ive owned the truck 10 months, it was 2.75 when I bought it. The truck is now parked. I wont drive it unless I absolutly need it. I started riding my bike to work, and driving our old 98 Corola around, and on trips (sucks)...I just refuse to pay that unless I have to. .Its now out of control, and somebody should be criminaly investigated for this IMO.
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-09-2008, 12:42 PM Reply   
^^^^^^

Criminal Investigation of what? Are you serious?
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-09-2008, 2:38 PM Reply   
why would the Government sit back and let the oil companies make billions in profits while gas prices are being blamed for the recession and possible depression..if it keeps going the way its going it could bring down the economy ..so why not some kind of cap on gas prices maybe the oil companies can profit 10 billion a year instead of 20 billion!

its causing all of our other everyday items we use like food and supplies to go up now and businesses like truckers who deliver our everyday goods are going out of business or raising prices so much that we are feeling it everywhere..

there has to be a way to control it ,I'm all for taking away every possible tax abatement's and advantages that help big corp oil companies as well as a tax or fee placed on oil companies for the right to sell there goods here if they want to continue to raise prices as our economy suffers..find a way to give it back to us or take the tax off gas prices at the pump..

i know I'm dreaming but just venting my feelings
Old     (2manytoys)      Join Date: May 2007       03-09-2008, 6:02 PM Reply   
Were just beginning to see the start of it.... Oh lets go buy a E85 flexfuel vehicle... only problem now farmers just tilled in the wheat fields to plant corn to make ethanol.. because thats where the government subsidies are going to be coming from.. so now a 50lb bag of flour that I have been paying 12.00 for just jumped to 33.00 last week. litteraly in a week it tripled... oh and chicken and cattle feed just went through the roof... see a trend here?
Old     (kal_dude)      Join Date: Apr 2006       03-09-2008, 7:23 PM Reply   
you shouldn't eat white flour anyways!
Old     (mkperceptions)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-10-2008, 1:25 AM Reply   
ok lets all stop with the other countries are paying more for gas. the girlfriend just got back from venezuela and she said it cost 2.91 to fill up there SUV they rented. Yes you read that right not a gallon but for the whole fill up. I guess making gas out of sugar cane works. Now also kuwait pays .41 cents per gallon. Either way OPEC drives up prices we all get screwed because we don't know how to drive fuel efficient vehicles. If you have a boat to tow etc that is great the truck works but man soccer moms driving suburbans as daily drivers, come on. Either way I started selling scooters and man bussiness is decent. I started a website SCOOTER-CAFE.COM and it is working out pretty good. To answer your questions yes I will be spending less money on delta trips and taking more camping trips simply because I can get in more riding time on a camping trip and not have to drive back and forth so for me it saves gas in the truck. And of course I already told my friends pitching in will be a must.
Old     (wesley_is_wake)      Join Date: Jun 2007       03-10-2008, 2:33 PM Reply   
I realize that some people in Illinois can afford to pay for gas that's $4 or $5 a gallon, but WHY??? I thought wakeboarding and boating was all about having fun! how can we have fun when our boats are costing us our paychecks? how do we afford lunch.
Old     (mkperceptions)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-10-2008, 10:21 PM Reply   
I agree wes. I just cant stand it when I see so many SUV's that people don't use to tow. Just status Arghhhhh quit using all the gas for status and nothing more. We need to start buying vehicles that suit our needs.
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-11-2008, 6:12 AM Reply   
2manytoys
I hear ya
my vendors gave me a pretty good heads up, so I stocked up on flour before it went through the roof

crazy crazy crazy
Old     (batman)      Join Date: Nov 2001       03-28-2008, 8:30 PM Reply   
Had to ad this! LOL!
Upload
Old     (trickyboarder08)      Join Date: Jul 2005       03-29-2008, 9:14 PM Reply   
lol, that's hilarious MIKE
Old     (jperkinsttu)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-31-2008, 9:02 AM Reply   
i just want to say that if i weren't spending the money on fuel i would probably be spending it on something else that i didn't really need to be doing....there is always something that i am going to want to do and since everything costs money i just have to figure out what i love doing the most and that's being on the water...i drive a brand new diesel and it costs me 130 to fill up and spending that much to fill up a boat isn't going to stop me from getting a new boat...if you really want to get out on the water you will find a way to make it happen...why lose sleep over something you can't control
Old     (tysonbunch)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-31-2008, 9:19 AM Reply   
I think I will make the wife use the oars.. However, not sure if she can keep the boat at a nice 23mph. I know gas will not keep me off the lake but it might make my friends chip in more.
Old     (sixeye)      Join Date: Apr 2005       03-31-2008, 9:18 PM Reply   
Will $4 gas keep me off the water? No. But $9 beer at baseball and football parks keeps me from going there.
Old     (epic1)      Join Date: Oct 2006       03-31-2008, 10:57 PM Reply   
war crimes tribunal in the Hague? WHY ARE WE NOT SCREAMING FOR MORE RENUEABLE ENERGY? The article in general disc from the norad gen. where he said "I would vote for the first person to pledge the united states to no need for forigin oil" is right on. We hated the soviets, right? So when Kennedy said we would beat the commies to the moon, we did it. If we could tell opec to get on its knees, would that not be great?
Also, sink or swim. If Detroit auto cant keep up, by by. Sucks, but thats capitalism.
I am just a lowly DEM, but Would E85/corn diesel not help America. So You shut us DEMS up about global warming, you keep the current auto tech in place, ie gas stations, and internal combustion tech. Detroit stays in business, and uncle Frank in Kansas whos corn was just food is now powering the world. Even if prices for green fuel was the same, it stays more in our econ.

I have no boat, but I will still give you gas money!
Old     (mucktoerider)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-01-2008, 5:03 AM Reply   
Also, sink or swim. If Detroit auto cant keep up, by by. Sucks, but thats capitalism.
I am just a lowly DEM, but Would E85/corn diesel not help America. So You shut us DEMS up about global warming, you keep the current auto tech in place, ie gas stations, and internal combustion tech. Detroit stays in business, and uncle Frank in Kansas whos corn was just food is now powering the world. Even if prices for green fuel was the same, it stays more in our econ.
Wow..are you misinformed! It's not the Detroit Auto's that are in danger......ALL including the likes of Toyota and Honda that are getting the pinch with the new emmissions standards. Global warming scam is part of the reason the price of fuel is going up. Less gas use..less demand..they want their money now before it all goes away. Hybrid...bunch of crap. Batteries are made of rare earth metals...appropriately named...because there is much less rare earth than there is fossil fuel. 10 years down the road....what are you going to do with those batteries. they can not be recycled...and disposing them is going to be way more damaging to the environment than fossil fuel. Think about it,...be smart...I should not make any comments about hybrid and battery technology.....I work for a company who supplies the world 75% of their batteries..including the huge hybrid batteries. It is a farce and also a cult like following when it comes to global warming. buy carbon credits...al gore is the only one who owns the company that sells them. Tell me how this is right. What a scam. We need to drill Anwar....save money while we work and implement Hydrogen (the real earth friendly fuel) to propel our auto's. Do some research first. I like that fact that the owner of the weather channel is suing Al Gore...Al would not debate the owner of the weather channel and his scientist...after being asked over and over even before Al's stupid movie. So now he is taking him to court to force a debate and stop this BS on global warming scare. the fact is....all the planets in our solar system have moved up the same percentage over the same time period to a warmer temp. No human's live on those planets. Another fact is...here in Michigan...we just finished the coldest winter in over 100 years...and we are not the only ones that set this record. Out lakes still have ice in them..and here it is April....this is very unusual. We are usually sittiing at 60 to mid 60's this time of year...we are having a hard time hitting the 50 mark. How is that global warming?
Old     (halfcabpro)      Join Date: Jun 2007       04-17-2008, 7:57 PM Reply   
^^^^ Thank you Scott. Its the same people that complain about our dependence on foreign oil that wont let us drill domestically. Until we have an ACTUAL option on the table in terms of alternative fuel, (NOT ETHANOL), we need to let business run, stop buying into the global warming scam, and start paying under half of what we do at the pumps now.
Old     (kko13)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-17-2008, 8:22 PM Reply   
THATS FUNNY! 25k for a vw desiel in a Mastercraft!!!! you think thats crazy do ya. Well my friend they have gone just a little more to the F---ing insane!! the new issue of waterski mag. as it as a $32,500 option.If this is not proof that some peeps at MC are on crack i dont know what is. and from what im hearing the VW's are blowing up left and right and look for yanmar desiel engines in your MC soon wich is what it shoud have been in the first place. Nautiques too. i have seen them out testing the Nauty with the yanmar as well.
Old     (goride)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-17-2008, 8:30 PM Reply   
hydrogen technology is out right now but kind of pricey. The devotid wakeskate touring van is hydorgen fueled.

I think a boat ran on hydrogen with an onboard distiller so it can take water directly from the water its in would be awesome. Dont know if its possible since if it was in the delta itll suck up plants, body parts and all kinds of other fun things.
Old     (kko13)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-17-2008, 8:35 PM Reply   
its not as bad as i thought it was going to be. if everybody that comes out pitches in $10 6-8 peeps my gas is paid for the day. i will pull their arms off. i have found myself taking it a little easier on the throttle though and it is working.try it you will save some cash for sure.

(Message edited by kko13 on April 17, 2008)
Old     (russian)      Join Date: Feb 2008       04-17-2008, 8:47 PM Reply   
$3.95 for 89 in dublin CA yesterday........
Towing 3.5hrs next weekend to go to a lake and meet up with norcal wakeskaters, so STOKED!
Old     (laptom)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-18-2008, 3:41 AM Reply   
$4,- ... I WISH!

Road petrol.
e1,64ltr
3,8 ltr/G
3,8 x 1,64 = e6,23 /G

1,58 E/$

$9,85 per Gallon.. At the road petrol station! On water it can easily go to $11,- per gallon. This is at the moment in the Netherlands!! Hope to ride more then ever this year though...
Old     (mucktoerider)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-18-2008, 4:28 AM Reply   
Diesel is not the answer either. Couple years ago I thought it was......but those prices are even more jacked than gasoline.
Old     (twdugas)      Join Date: Oct 2007       04-18-2008, 8:13 AM Reply   
I didnt read the whole threat just the title...

Im over in Saudi right now working... Went to fill up the car today and after doing calculation between money and liters to gallons...

Gas here is $0.60 per gallon...

Can I ship my own back to the US please!!!
Old     (takeit)      Join Date: Apr 2008       04-18-2008, 8:15 AM Reply   
Wow! Yeah, smuggle some back with you Todd.
Old     (sippi)      Join Date: Dec 2007       04-18-2008, 9:11 AM Reply   
You know, i understand the gas prices are terrible right now. Worse in some places than others. But with wakeboarding and boats...nothings changed. Its always been expensive. Granted its getting MORE expensive but still. here's my take on it. Just like any other hobby or "extra interest" you might be into...if its something that means alot to you, you just need to reprioritize your money. Simple things like making your lunch at home or leftovers from dinner, to take to lunch with you at work instead of spending the $ out everyday. using more coupons at the grocery store to save some money, even things like not buying bottled water, but buying one case of it and saving the bottles to fill up; carpooling when possible, even not going out as much but staying in and having people over for drinks instead of spending the money out, not buying the 08 model board when you have the same 07 model that's the same shape and rocker with different graphics and using that money for gas. Its all about readjusting your priorities.

gas prices are terrible, and i don't think they are going to get any better. we can either sit and complain when there is nothing we can do to change it. or figure out a way to to adjust.

I do agree with some of the discussion regarding engines and whatnot. i don't believe diesel is the way to go considering diesel is much more expensive than reg fuel. However, i think the engines in the next few years will be much more fuel efficient. I mean if the govt is making all car manufacturers produce vehicles with no less than like 30 mpg by 2020 or whenever it is this includes full size suv's like tahoes and whatnot...that same technology can easily be transfered to marine engines.
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       04-18-2008, 9:17 AM Reply   
did anyone see that scientist who found out how to burn salt water and run motors? I have the .wmv who can post it somewhere for me?
Old     (brettw)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-18-2008, 9:36 AM Reply   
Anyone ever try and figure out what it really cost you per set or hour on your boat? I hated running all the numbers in the past when taking into account everything. First you've got to figure out what your boat really cost you, so I guess figure the purchase price minus your predicted selling price and divide that by how many years or months you have your boat. Then there's insurance, maintenance, and gas. When you break down everything, the #s per hour on the boat are usually horrible.

Anyone want to come up with some #s for your boats and post em?
Old     (russian)      Join Date: Feb 2008       04-18-2008, 9:35 PM Reply   
I don't worry about the $'s per hour, I just worry about having fun. I'll just ride less,and chill more. I love being on the water and gas prices aren't going to stop that
Old     (mucktoerider)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-19-2008, 10:33 AM Reply   
we should take a stance and boycott fuel...if everyone did not work for 1 week.....no fuel..no work..big companies lose millions...big companies put pinch on Washington....wa lah..lower gas prices. and no companies can not afford to fire everyone who boycotts work. Nice plan..but who has the guts....and will everyone follow thru.
Old    sealyon.net            04-20-2008, 4:46 PM Reply   
What I can,t understand is how the Gov. can regulate cable TV but can't....( WON'T ) regulate gas.
It's a bunch of.. well it smells like.. well you get the hint. I don't think it will stop at $4.00.
My brother workes at the refinery in Memphis,TN and a 2 years ago he told me " if you think gas is high now just wait". The gas companies knew a long time ago they were going to raise it.

(Message edited by kerby on April 20, 2008)