Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through December 26, 2006

Old     (sulmaxwell)      Join Date: Dec 2003       12-09-2006, 9:15 AM Reply   
What have most been doing to run ur Ipod's in the boat...FM adapter??
I have a factory MC system...clarion...would like to try to run it through that for now..simplest and most cost effective way...as much as I would love an excuse to put in a new system...just ain't gonna happen soon enough!
Any thoughts??

also any good sites rec's for music Dl's....that don't cost much>>>
Any feedback is appreciated!
Old     (captain_542)      Join Date: Oct 2006       12-09-2006, 10:23 AM Reply   
depending on what stereo you have, some have an aux input in the back. Look it up in the manual. mine is a simple RCA to headphone so i plug in any mp3 player with a headphone jack and it will play through the stereo.
Old     (chikara22)      Join Date: Oct 2006       12-09-2006, 10:25 AM Reply   
Clarion has a lot of different interfaces for the iPod.

I personally use an iTrip FM adaptor as I would have needed to buy two interfaces (1 for the boat and 1 for the truck).

Cables or interfaces would probably give you a less interferenced signal from the iPod though.

It works pretty good and it cost $39 at Target.

Hope that helps.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-09-2006, 10:30 AM Reply   
http://www.pac-audio.com/products/productsCatagory.asp?mmSearch=iPod%20Integration
Old     (jeff359)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-09-2006, 10:34 AM Reply   
I wired mine directly to the EQ, and don't even run a head unit. IPOD only. Pretty simple, works well.
Old     (big_xstar)      Join Date: Nov 2004       12-09-2006, 11:26 AM Reply   
Bling it hit the nail on the head.
easist to install, especially if you have a
line driver/EQ.
It charges and sends the music thru the same cord.
Old     (bennygoodx)      Join Date: Aug 2006       12-09-2006, 11:49 AM Reply   
If you have an "AUX" button, you can run an rca adapter from your deck to the ipod. I have an MC and the cord plugs right into it.
Old     (jetskiprosx)      Join Date: Aug 2004       12-09-2006, 12:00 PM Reply   
In my car my iPod is integrated into my Alpine HU, however, since scrolling on the HU is a slow process (even though Alpine's is the fastest) and I don't have the time nor do I want to distract myself that long on the boat so I just have a simple RCA to headphone jack input in the boat.

IMO, don't waste your money on facny ingeration in a boat, you won't want to waste your time scrolling to find a song or playlist...its already distracting enough while driving a car and a boat takes more concentraion (or it should) then driving a car.
Old     (dansmith)      Join Date: Aug 2006       12-09-2006, 4:24 PM Reply   
My MB came with the Harmon Kardon Drive+Play system. Its the mini screen to the left of the Red Bull can & the controller just below the Red Bull can here:
Upload
I can't speak to how much it gets in the way of driving the boat since I didn't really have a chance to use it much. Also, since it came with the boat, I have no idea how hard it is to install. What I did see of it was really cool.
Old     (cdl)      Join Date: Oct 2006       12-09-2006, 4:47 PM Reply   
Dan -I'm going to have the same put in.

The biggest benefit I see is that the remote joystick and the screen allow you to put your ipod some safe (there is a net on the side wall under the steering wheel on MB)and still beable to change songs.

I'm sure you need to be care not to get the remote wet too. but it cheaper than a ipod to replace if it did get wet.

I think I saw them online at crutchfield for about $100.

Ithink it is pretty simple to install. It plugs into the aux jack.
Old    Ben Kerran            12-09-2006, 5:09 PM Reply   
Def. get a direct connection. FM adapter route does not produce a quality sound. Better than nothing, but just barely
Old     (dansmith)      Join Date: Aug 2006       12-09-2006, 5:14 PM Reply   
Claude, good call on the price. I thought it was more expensive than that. Since it came w/ the boat, I didn't even think to see what it cost...what a moron!
Apparently, the interface on the screen is the same as the normal iPod interface, so there is nothing new to learn. I have the cheap-o iPod shuffle, so I can't say if it is EXACTLY like the iPod interface. It doesn't work w/ the shuffle, BTW, so now I have reason to go buy a Mini or Nano :-)
Another cool thing is that it charges your iPod while its connected.
Old     (ar1stotle)      Join Date: Jun 2006       12-09-2006, 5:15 PM Reply   
I don't have one in my boat, but I do have one in my car. AUX inputs will have the best quality, followed by a tape deck adapter. FM transmitters typically have less quality than tape deck adapters, but a good one can still sound good. FYI, if you want an FM transmitter, get one that plugs into a 12v outlet. This grounds the signal and will allow it to produce a cleaner FM signal for better quality. I own this one, and it works fine for me. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16855996601

Also, if you're worried about it getting a little wet, get a good case for it. I have the iSkin Evo3. You can find one on amazon.com (check what size ipod they are for). It's not waterproof or anything, but it covers the entire face of the ipod, leaving only the headphone jack exposed. It has a flap for the bottom expansion port. So for the most part, a little spray shouldn't do any harm. I have a 5g ipod video by the way.
If you want a true waterproof housing, check out otterbox.com. I believe they are waterproof to 1 meter.

Hope this helped a little bit.

(Message edited by ar1stotle on December 09, 2006)
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       12-09-2006, 6:04 PM Reply   
My 2006 Malibu came with a built in jack just under the stereo for plugging in an mp3 player. Me likey!
Old     (boardcrazy)      Join Date: Oct 2003       12-09-2006, 7:24 PM Reply   
good post, i was going to do the same thing this winter...
Old     (mim3)      Join Date: Sep 2006       12-09-2006, 7:51 PM Reply   
The clarion has an aux input. MC has a long cable they run to an "input plug". I had the plug installed near the dash. $4 dollar cable form radio shack to connect ipod headphone jack to plug and $20 plastic dashmount kit from best buy to hang the ipod. The radio shack cable is long enough to allow passengers behind and next to me operate the ipod while I'm driving. Keeps everyone happy!
Old     (malibu_monkey)      Join Date: Apr 2006       12-11-2006, 5:45 AM Reply   
I saw a new remote coming out for the ipod very soon. It uses blue tooth tech. and mounts to your steering wheel. That way, you never have to pull the ipod out and worry about getting it wet.
Old     (redv215)      Join Date: Mar 2005       12-11-2006, 12:50 PM Reply   
Monkey - where and when? Do you have a link we could check out?
Old     (malibu_monkey)      Join Date: Apr 2006       12-11-2006, 4:23 PM Reply   
I believe this is the company that is coming out with it. http://www.autointelligence.com/ It will be using their new blueconnect platform. They don't have anything on their website yet, but I saw it at SEMA this year. Hopefully we will see something very soon.